Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you get rid of old glasses in Sligo?

Options
  • 09-07-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I have two pairs of old glasses that I'm dying to get rid of! Where would be the best place in sligo to recycle them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Vlove wrote: »
    I have two pairs of old glasses that I'm dying to get rid of! Where would be the best place in sligo to recycle them?
    I imagine one of the charity shops on John St. or Wine St. carpark would take them, are they reading glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

ectoraige wrote: »
    I imagine one of the charity shops on John St. or Wine St. carpark would take them, are they reading glasses?

I should've mentioned that I don't want to bring them to charity shops as they are too good to give to them. No they r prescripted ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I don't know Sligo very well but I'd imagine any place like a bingo hall/old folks home may take them. I help out at the local bingo and there's always a few people who forget their glasses and we keep a few spares for such a case.

Kovu wrote: »
    I don't know Sligo very well but I'd imagine any place like a bingo hall/old folks home may take them. I help out at the local bingo and there's always a few people who forget their glasses and we keep a few spares for such a case.

Ah right, i might check out Deirde Cookes or Specsavers tomorrow to see if they take them. If not successful, I might try out those places that you mentioned. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I should've mentioned that I don't want to bring them to charity shops as they are too good to give to them. No they r prescripted ones

You could try: http://www.visionaidoverseas.org/recycle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most opticians take them in Dublin, I'm sure one of the Sligo ones will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

How pompous!
    So are charity shops are only for old tat then is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

How pompous!
    So are charity shops are only for old tat then is it?

I did think that myself too. I put it down to a misconception as to what Charity Shops do. I say give them to a charity shop. Only a person who needs glasses wil buy them. Probably needs them, can't ordinarily afford them and will be delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ah right, i might check out Deirde Cookes or Specsavers tomorrow to see if they take them. If not successful, I might try out those places that you mentioned. Thanks!

Why do you think an opticians such as Specsavers would want them? They're a business, and their business is selling new glasses to people. They don't have a second hand department. Plus, if a small profit can be made from them, why let it go to a major and profitable retailer instead of a charity which could put the small sum gained to good use?

Just give them to a charity shop.

Or put an ad in the local paper, perhaps? Something along the lines of 'two pairs of spectacles for free. Spectacles are too good for charity shops, and would go very nicely with top hat and cane. Please apply with references. Applicants will be vetted. No time wasters or riffraff"?

I remember years ago that Mulreany Guckians had a program that gave put new lenses in 2nd hand glasses and donated it them Chernobyl or maybe they just collected the glasses and the new lenses were put in by a charity. Anyway the 2nd hand frames went to good use.

Maybe try there and good for you OP for not just throwing them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Most opticians will take then including Specsavers. Think they reuse/recycle the frame and lenses for developing countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Most opticians will take then including Specsavers. Think they reuse/recycle the frame and lenses for developing countries.

I finally got rid of them , went into Deirde Cookes today . Happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I have two pairs of old glasses that I'm dying to get rid of!
    I finally got rid of them , Happy out :D
    Glad to hear you made it through the ordeal! I, for one, am most impressed with your fortitude and resilience.

Well done, you. What's next?

:)

endacl wrote: »
    Glad to hear you made it through the ordeal! I, for one, am most impressed with your fortitude and resilience.

Well done, you. What's next?

:)

Gee thanks, well I already have a new pair so ill stick with one PAIR for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Ok problem solved, thread going off topic now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement