Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Time/2016 Squads

• 09-07-2015 9:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First rumour of worth I've seen. I'm sure there are many more

Michal Kwiatkowski ‘likely’ to join Sky, says agent

Not sure if its a good move for Kwiatkowski. I'd also fear for an Irish rider!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Isn't Richie leaving sky so that would free up that spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Fuglsang re-signing for Astana, apparently ettix were looking at him to fill kwia's spot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Isn't Richie leaving sky so that would free up that spot.

Actually heard that on Eurosport yesterday but didnt give it much credence

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

godtabh wrote: »
    Actually heard that on Eurosport yesterday but didnt give it much credence

Widely reported he is going to BMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Not sure if its a good move for Kwiatkowski. I'd also fear for an Irish rider!

With Porte going to BMC I think it actually does Roche's grand tour ambitions no harm for a crack at the giro or vuelta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I believe Aquablue have lads coming in for 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Porte to BMC
    Landa to Sky
    Gadret not being kept on at Movistar
    Chavanel released from IAM
    Kwiatkoski is an interesting one, he's meant to have signed last year with Sky (signed maybe the wrong word, agreed to join) and seems to be getting cold feet.
    It's also contract year for Cav ..
    Boonen is staying with Etixx it was on belgian tv last week he's committed to them for another 2 seasons I think.

After that I can't remember - there's a few more on the move..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I would like to see Stannard or GT move to a classics team - I think they both need this to make the move from doing well (and winning semi classics) to winning a monument - they are both capable of this. I dont think either wil leave SKy however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Junior wrote: »

I think Cav needs to start winning a couple of stages ... If he is not winning them then he is not offering a lot to a top team.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cannondale-Garmin may have another Irish rider on their books next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Rumours of Kitty being on the move as well but that may well be heat of the moment and still being raw having to sit out the tour.

Go on don't leave it like that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think Cav needs to start winning a couple of stages ... If he is not winning them then he is not offering a lot to a top team.

He's won a bit this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Porte to BMC
    Landa to Sky
    Gadret not being kept on at Movistar
    Chavanel released from IAM
    Kwiatkoski is an interesting one, he's meant to have signed last year with Sky (signed maybe the wrong word, agreed to join) and seems to be getting cold feet.
    Boonen is staying with Etixx it was on belgian tv last week he's committed to them for another 2 seasons I think.

After that I can't remember - there's a few more on the move..

Read recently he was happy in Etixx and would like to stay with them. But time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

He's won a bit this year

I know he has Godtabh, but really winning stages in the big tours is why he gets the big money. If he is not doing that regularly then the team and sponsors dont get their moneys worth in terms of exposure. Cav is there to finish the big races stages with the maximum sponsorship exposure, in my opinion.

there you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Dan Martins contract is up too. Will be interesting to see what happens there. Hard to see where he'd fit in at other teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tell us. Dunbar or Mullen?

stecleary wrote: »
    Dan Martins contract is up too. Will be interesting to see what happens there. Hard to see where he'd fit in at other teams

It's a strange one. On one hand, I think he needs a stronger team around him than Garmin. On the other, I'm not sure who would take him. Sky need an ardenne guy but might be getting Kwiatowski. Also I doubt Martin wants to play domestique to any of the gc guys.

I know he has Godtabh, but really winning stages in the big tours is why he gets the big money. If he is not doing that regularly then the team and sponsors dont get their moneys worth in terms of exposure. Cav is there to finish the big races stages with the maximum sponsorship exposure, in my opinion.

Cav has 13 wins to his name before today, this stage was his first ProTour win of the season. Just to clarify what level he's winning at. The same lad was criticizing Griepel a couple of years ago for winning sh*tty little races.

I can see Goss being released at the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Cav has 13 wins to his name before today, this stage was his first ProTour win of the season. Just to clarify what level he's winning at. The same lad was criticizing Griepel a couple of years ago for winning sh*tty little races.

I can see Goss being released at the end of the year.

Given the increased level of risk that sprinters expose themselves to, I would not be at all surprised if he is going off the boil a bit. He is about to become a dad again and with two nippers to think about, he wouldn't be the first elite sportsman to reassess the risks he faces. That is going to blunt your edge when it comes to bumping shoulders at 70-80kmph in the sprint.

He doesnt really have much to prove at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Tell us. Dunbar or Mullen?

Im guessing Oirish-'Merican - Gavin Mannion

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It's a strange one. On one hand, I think he needs a stronger team around him than Garmin. On the other, I'm not sure who would take him. Sky need an ardenne guy but might be getting Kwiatowski. Also I doubt Martin wants to play domestique to any of the gc guys.

He's done pretty well with Garmin: 2 monuments and a tour stage. Should have been 3 monuments, but for a fall on the last corner in LBL. He's won more monuments than Sky!

I actually hope he stays where he is, I don't think he has the potential to win a grand tour anyway.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

He doesnt really have much to prove at this point.

I didn't say he had anything to prove, but if you are commanding a salary of his level and you take up 3-4 Slots on a team at Grand Tour time to do your job you need to have better results than he is currently having.

The interesting rumour over the past few days - Contador out the door from Saxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why would BMC be so keen on Porte? As team leader or support to Van Garderen?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The interesting rumour over the past few days - Contador out the door from Saxo

That I could see happening. I dont think he is happy with how Oleg runs things

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Right thing for him to do TBH. He needs to be able to finish his career saying he got a chance to lead teams at GT's on a regular basis.

That I could see happening. I dont think he is happy with how Oleg runs things

The destination is the interesting one - Etixx. I'd forgotten also our favourite Dane Chris Juul Jensen is off to Sky.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Why would BMC be so keen on Porte? As team leader or support to Van Garderen?

As an alternative to Teejay in some races. They don't really have another GC man. Porte will never win a 3 week tour in my opinion, Teejay might.

they/them/theirs

The destination is the interesting one - Etixx. I'd forgotten also our favourite Dane Chris Juul Jensen is off to Sky.

Chris and Nico get on well. wonder did that have anything to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Interesting indeed........that is then linked to Cavendish leaving and the team being built around a GC approach? Uran is out of contract too so that might work. Do you have a link for the Contador story? But did he not extend with Saxo back in the spring before Riis left through to the end of 2016 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Ryan Mullen.

And it was due to be announced today I believe.

Zipp101 wrote: »
    Ryan Mullen.

And it was due to be announced today I believe.

Fair play if true

Brian? wrote: »
    As an alternative to Teejay in some races. They don't really have another GC man. Porte will never win a 3 week tour in my opinion, Teejay might.

BMC did ok with TeeJay and Cadel so I think they can manage just fine with Porte in there as well. Similar to Garmin having 3 GC riders this year albeit I don't think any of us expected 2 of those to actually challenge.

Porte has to move due to the plan a only approach of Sky. If he goes to BMC he'll get a full crack at a Giro, Vuelta and even be allowed to race at the tour. A great move for him, that said I don't think he has the staying power to win a GT.

• Advertisement

BMC did ok with TeeJay and Cadel so I think they can manage just fine with Porte in there as well. Similar to Garmin having 3 GC riders this year albeit I don't think any of us expected 2 of those to actually challenge.

Porte has to move due to the plan a only approach of Sky. If he goes to BMC he'll get a full crack at a Giro, Vuelta and even be allowed to race at the tour. A great move for him, that said I don't think he has the staying power to win a GT.

He got a full crack at the Giro this year, and I think that forced his hand, he was looking for a 2 Million per year contract if he won.

He got a full crack at the Giro this year, and I think that forced his hand, he was looking for a 2 Million per year contract if he won.

Oh I know he did, complete with motor home and lets be honest it didn't exactly go to plan. I still don't think he's a 3 week man.

He may well get a full crack at the Vuelta or Giro, but he won't win either IMO. It's a good move for him though, he's a very capable week long tour rider and could well challenge in the Dauphine etc.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Confirmed today. Mullen going to Cannondale-Garmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Confirmed today. Mullen going to Cannondale-Garmin

I'm not doubting that Mullen is actually joining Garmindale, but that article in Sticky Bottle doesn't actually confirm it. There are a lot of 'ifs' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I'm not doubting that Mullen is actually joining Garmindale, but that article in Sticky Bottle doesn't actually confirm it. There are a lot of 'ifs' :)
    Glad it wasn't just me it my sleep deprived state who thought that!

Well no signings can be announced before August 1st so there have to be "ifs" or Garmin would be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any more word on Cav going to MTN Qhubeka? I heard MTN are pulling their support, which probably puts an end to that. Pity because that would be a really cool transfer.

Any more word on Cav going to MTN Qhubeka? I heard MTN are pulling their support, which probably puts an end to that. Pity because that would be a really cool transfer.

They already have another sponsor in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well no signings can be announced before August 1st so there have to be "ifs" or Garmin would be in trouble.

Porte to BMC has been announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is Chris Juul Jensen going to Sky?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ryan Mullen listed as a starter for Garmin Cannondale for tour of Utah so not much doubt !

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ryan Mullen listed as a starter for Garmin Cannondale for tour of Utah so not much doubt !

...I see he'll be facing up against his mortal enemy Campbell Flakemore of team BMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

A few other interesting tidbids from the Tour of Utah start list-

- I see that Chris Horner is with Airgas Safeway Cycling Team - I thought he was still with Lampre... Looks like the Vuelta will essentially be the last thing he wins.
    - Tao Geoghegan Hart is with a US outfit called Axeon Cycling Team, despite being listed as a stagliare with Sky as of the 1st of August. What's the legality of this? I seem to recall him racing the Tour of Britain last year as part of some UK Development squad.
    - Matt Brammeir is racing there with MTN Qhubeka.

Porte to BMC has been announced.

Linky??

• Advertisement
Advertisement