Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoBus Wifi

Options
  • 09-07-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Any update on the wifi, Am i hoping too much in that netflix would work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Don't most busses with WiFi block access to video streaming sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ciano1 wrote: »
    Don't most busses with WiFi block access to video streaming sites?

Yes. None of them promise it will be good enough to watch movies.

I would assume they block it because they'd be absolute bandwidth whores to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It's barely good enough to browse nevermind streaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I hate that it has imgur blocked, but I think allows youtube. Surely YT is going to be using more bandwidth than reddit images hosted on imgur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

daithi12 wrote: »
    Any update on the wifi, Am i hoping too much in that netflix would work

Do you think the bus has a big fibre optic cable behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Video Killed The Radio Star. It's only three hours ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

can u charge your phone on the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

kerosene wrote: »
    can u charge your phone on the bus?

Yes, all buses have sockets. AFAIK not all rows have them, so choose your seat carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Yes, all buses have sockets. AFAIK not all rows have them, so choose your seat carefully!

You'll see a single white socket between a row of seats. As you're walking down the aisle you'll spot it if you look. I think there are 4 on a bus. Maybe more.

• Advertisement

I always get on buses early so I can pick one that has a socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Video Killed The Radio Star. It's only three hours ffs.

3 hours is a long time if you have to do it often.

In regards to the wifi, on both buses it's awful outside the major towns. Constantly dropping and slow. You're much better off with your own 4g and even that's not perfect. Though for things to watch I just fill up my tablet before I go so I don't need the speed. Can't stream on the plane anyway so I always bring loads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Streaming things on shared mobile broadband is the tech equivalent of microwaving a 3 day old prawn curry in the office microwave and then eating it at your open plan desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

You'll see a single white socket between a row of seats. As you're walking down the aisle you'll spot it if you look. I think there are 4 on a bus. Maybe more.
    I think they're always double sockets. Any one I've sat beside has been anyway. The older buses do just have four sockets spread down the length of the bus but the newer ones have double sockets in every row of seats so an individual plug for each passenger.
    In regards to the wifi, on both buses it's awful outside the major towns. Constantly dropping and slow. You're much better off with your own 4g and even that's not perfect.
    I was told by someone who knows these things that they are basically using the same 3G/4G connection you are using on your phone and then you end up sharing that with everyone else on the bus. So unless you are passing through a zone that is really slow for your network, and the bus is connected to a competitor network that has better coverage in that particular spot, you are better off sticking to your device's own connection (presuming it has one).
    Though for things to watch I just fill up my tablet before I go so I don't need the speed. Can't stream on the plane anyway so I always bring loads.
    Likewise, although it's a good idea to give some thought to what you choose to watch. I watched Game Of Thrones for the very first time on Go Bus without knowing what to expect. The elderly lady on the other side of the aisle one row behind me had a good view of the screen and made it clear that a dwarf getting down to business with two prostitutes in a brothel wasn't what she wanted so see while travelling down the M6. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Likewise, although it's a good idea to give some thought to what you choose to watch. I watched Game Of Thrones for the very first time on Go Bus without knowing what to expect. The elderly lady on the other side of the aisle one row behind me had a good view of the screen and made it clear that a dwarf getting down to business with two prostitutes in a brothel wasn't what she wanted so see while travelling down the M6. ;)

Lol!! Sounds only too familiar. I've never had anyone comment on it but several times I've switched to other material or fast forwarded when I thought it was getting a bit over the top :P The Americans is also one such show. It's the one time I regret that tablets these days have such great viewing angles :)

But it's really a brilliant way to pass the time. I do it once a week on average so it's really necessary to have some entertainment.

Advertisement