Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age appropriate Xbox one games

Options
  • 09-07-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Not a gamer, but want to ask advice for 14 year old boy. He asking about GTA V and Far Cry 4. He already has Ghosts and Watchdogs and Assassins Creed which are all 18 I think. Any reason to avoid said GTA or Far Cry ?
    I know some of you are going to say that it says 18 for a reason etc but asking as a non gamer Dad if I should avoid ??.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Sasso wrote: »
    Not a gamer, but want to ask advice for 14 year old boy. He asking about GTA V and Far Cry 4. He already has Ghosts and Watchdogs and Assassins Creed which are all 18 I think. Any reason to avoid said GTA or Far Cry ?
    I know some of you are going to say that it says 18 for a reason etc but asking as a non gamer Dad if I should avoid ??.
    Cheers

I've finished GTA and am half way through Far Cry. So far I'd say Far Cry is OK, if I had a kid that age I'd let them play it. GTA, no way. That one is definitely 18s for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

baldshin wrote: »
    I've finished GTA and am half way through Far Cry. So far I'd say Far Cry is OK, if I had a kid that age I'd let them play it. GTA, no way. That one is definitely 18s for a reason.

i agree gta is the only game i wont let my nephew play totally not for kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The lad is 14 years old now the game might be 18s but dont worry he has seen a lot worse on tv and in films and playing games in his friend's houses. I would have no problem letting a 14 year old play GTA or Fair cry. If he is allready playing 18s games there should be no problem.

I was playing 18s games since I was 9 years old and being honest, they're not that bad as what some people make them out to be i find GTA to be far very tame to say something like Game Of Trones the TV show.

If his friends have the game he would have already played it so no difference to get him the game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The lad is 14 years old now the game might be 18s but dont worry he has seen a lot worse on tv and in films and playing games in his friend's houses. I would have no problem letting a 14 year old play GTA or Fair cry. If he is allready playing 18s games there should be no problem.

I was playing 18s games since I was 9 years old and being honest, they're not that bad as what some people make them out to be i find GTA to be far very tame to say something like Game Of Trones the TV show.

If his friends have the game he would have already played it so no difference to get him the game now.

Ah sure, if all his friends were sniffing glue or something too would that make it alright as well?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

All depends on the kid to be honest. I know ten year olds that would be totally fine with most 18 games, and then I know 16 year olds that wouldn't be ready for GTA.

It also depends on what you are prepared for as well. I don't mean to give directions to any parent, but if my kid was playing games, any games, then I'd like to spend a half hour watching them play and talking to them about it. That way, I'd know what my kid was playing, and more importantly, what they thought of it all.

Again, don't want to step on any parenting toes, that's just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

The ESRB website is kinda good for this sort of thing, and a laugh sometimes at the matter of fact way they put things, GTA V:

"In this open-world action game, players assume the role of three criminals whose storylines intersect within the fictional city of Los Santos. Players can switch between each character to follow his storyline, completing missions which often include criminal activities (e.g., stealing cars, executing heists, assassinating targets). Players use pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, and explosives to kill various enemies (e.g., rival gang members); players also have the ability to shoot non-adversary civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress as a penalty system triggers a broad police search. Blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and the game contains rare depictions of dismemberment. In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means (e.g., pipe wrench, tooth removal, electrocution) to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts). The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and masturbation; various sex acts (sometimes from a close-up perspective) that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context. Within the game, some cutscenes, TV programs and radio ads contain instances of mature humor: myriad sex jokes; depictions of raw sewage and feces on a worker's body; caricatures of ethnic/racial groups. Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use drugs (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint, hallucinating from peyote); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “f**k,” “c*nt,” and “n**ger” can be heard in the dialogue."

So if you believe your 14 year old is ok for the above then work away.

Advertisement