Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound problem

Options
  • 09-07-2015 10:14pm

Try and explain this as best I can.

My set up desktop PC , 2 monitors. Primary connected to Nvidia card via HDMI with speakers connected to audio out there.

I also have an XBOX connected to the 2nd HDMI on the monitor.

Sound works fine on both as I switch inputs on the monitor.

2nd monitor comes into play when I'm using the xbox, it's connected to the Nvidia card via DVI and I simp;u WIN+Shift+Left ArrowKey send browser etc over to it while I'm playing Xbox on the main display.

The problem then arises if I need to hear audio on the pc while the main display has it's input set to xbox. I figured I'd just plug my headphones into the front of the PC and it could get audio from there using the onboard sound card, no joy. Silence. Even when the main display is set to pc the front headphone port on the pc is silent and I cant seem to find any setting that shows it as disables either in device manager or playback devices :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Try and explain this as best I can.

My set up desktop PC , 2 monitors. Primary connected to Nvidia card via HDMI with speakers connected to audio out there.

I also have an XBOX connected to the 2nd HDMI on the monitor.

Sound works fine on both as I switch inputs on the monitor.

2nd monitor comes into play when I'm using the xbox, it's connected to the Nvidia card via DVI and I simp;u WIN+Shift+Left ArrowKey send browser etc over to it while I'm playing Xbox on the main display.

The problem then arises if I need to hear audio on the pc while the main display has it's input set to xbox. I figured I'd just plug my headphones into the front of the PC and it could get audio from there using the onboard sound card, no joy. Silence. Even when the main display is set to pc the front headphone port on the pc is silent and I cant seem to find any setting that shows it as disables either in device manager or playback devices :confused:

Have you used the front port before? They're not always connected inside the case.

mordeith wrote: »
    Have you used the front port before? They're not always connected inside the case.

Oh yes was the 1st thing I checked :)

Just an update on this , what I'm actually trying to do I have worked out is not possible.

To work it would need 2 playback devices active which isn't possible in windows, which is why headphones don't work on the front of PC while audio is going to the monitor via hdmi.

Does anyone know if there are some readily available desktop speakers that might take 2x 3.5mm inputs ? Also I may have a 3.5 adaptor that would let me input 2 sources into the speakers I have (if i can put my hand on it) but not sure if that would degrade audio quality or not or mess with left/right channels etc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You dont need two at once as far as I can interpret your post. Just change output device from HDMI to soundcard on the PC before switching the input on the primary display, then your headphones will get PC audio while the XBOX uses the monitors speakers.

Advertisement