Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBNB with a boat?

Options
  • 09-07-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I know someone with a boat and they've had no money to keep it in good shape. They have a mooring at a harbour which I believe they pay very little for. I was just thinking, what if they invested in a better boat with a proper bedroom, bathroom and kitchen and they could try make some money from it renting it on air bnb?

Besides having to pay tax on the income, is there anything else they'd need to be aware of if they were to do this, or is it even allowed to sleep on a boat or rent it out like this if it's at a public harbour?

cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Insurance, in case someone falls into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I know someone with a boat and they've had no money to keep it in good shape. They have a mooring at a harbour which I believe they pay very little for. I was just thinking, what if they invested in a better boat with a proper bedroom, bathroom and kitchen and they could try make some money from it renting it on air bnb?

Besides having to pay tax on the income, is there anything else they'd need to be aware of if they were to do this, or is it even allowed to sleep on a boat or rent it out like this if it's at a public harbour?

cheers for any help!

Where's the mooring?
    Moorings tend to rules about people staying over night

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

cheers for any help!

Do you mean an actual mooring? Or a berth on a pontoon in a harbour or marina somewhere? Because if it's on an actual mooring then it won't be suitable for renting out...... but maybe you've just phrased it wrong.

The harbour may be "public", as in it has public access, but I bet it has rules that would preclude anyone living aboard the boat - even the owner, never mind renters. You'd need to contact the body that controls the harbour to clarify that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Boats are not investments - they are money holes. If they can't afford to keep the current boat, how are they going to afford to purchase and keep a new boat?

Is it even allowed with AirBnB? There are probably much more suitable legal arrangements designed for letting boats.

What if the renters steal / damage / burn out the boat?

Advertisement