Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 9 Public Beta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

naasrd wrote: »
    What stats you seeing in Usage? Particularly apps running in the background.

Nothing major, really. I use Safari to look at Facebook. There are no rogue apps that I can see. All the ones with screen time and background usage make sense to me. Eg. Podcast app might have 2mins on screen and 1 hour background while I'm out for a cycle.....the kind of usage that I'd expect.

Whatsapp, Messenger and Viber all appear, mostly with background usage, but the actual percentage of battery they are using is very small. In the region of 2-3% in any given 24 hour period.

Homescreen and Safari are pretty much always my 2 biggest uses, around 15-30% each, then a whole load of other stuff ranging 1-5%.

I'll post a pic later when I've run the battery down a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Very impressed with my 9.1 battery since the update. And the info on what apps are using juice the background is also very useful. For the first time ever I'm going into a second day after a full charge yesterday morning with a decent bit of juice left.

By the look of that screenshot the phone was plugged in at some stage after it was at 100%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

No, Inspecor Clouseau. What's probably going over your head is the list of apps not showing up because, you have to scroll down to get the usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Other app usuage.

No, Inspecor Clouseau. What's probably going over your head is the list of apps not showing up because, you have to scroll down to get the usage.

Looks like it was plugged in again since last full charge. That will obviously make the stats look better. Best way to do this is on a like-for-like basis where we all charge to 100% and let it run down to something like 10% without plugging it in again, and then compare numbers. Kind of meaningless to say you're getting 2 days out of a charge when you're plugging it in again during that time (not you personally, but "you" in the general sense!).

• Advertisement

I was right. "This iPhone has been plugged in since the last full charge".

That blows everything out of the water. Those usage statistics don't represent what you're getting from a single charge if you're plugging it in before it dies.

So your "what went over your head is..." wasn't needed when you were the one not understanding the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

No need to start name calling because you don't understand something. Clearly those stats aren't on a single charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge it says that at the bottom of your pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

DubDJ wrote: »
    iOS 9.1 fixed an annoying App Store bug I've had since I installed iOS 8 last year. It had been showing any app I updated via iTunes under the 'Available Updates' tab on the iPhone with the 'Open' button beside the app. The App Store would also badge the icon as if a new update was available. If updated through the device itself the update would work as normal and show as updated.

I got it tonight after doing 10 updates first time in ages

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Anyone know what time iOS 9 will be available to download today?

• Advertisement

Usually around 6pm this evening.

Any update on the battery life naasrd? You must have about 15 hours usage with 75% battery left by now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

thecivvie wrote: »
    I got it tonight after doing 10 updates first time in ages

I hope it has gone for good for me, a year is long enough with a bug, I'm not used to it on iOS.

Quick update on my battery running iOS9.1

Screenshots attached.

TLDR: down to 5% battery in exactly 24 hours from full charge. Usage time 5hr 33m. Total time with screen on 3hr 43m.

No real killer apps. Most drain is form Safari, the App Store (loads of app updates in the past 24hours), homescreen and emails.

5.5hr of usage isn't too bad, I suppose. I had 4G and wifi on for about 60% the 24 hours. Bluetooth for about an hour.

I could squeeze a bit more by turning other things off, but the drawback would be less usability: I like functions like certain apps having location access, as this makes the device work the way I want. Why turn everything off if you can't enjoy using it?

Although the battery stat display is better in iOS9, I'd like to see even more details about how much battery is consumed by things like searching for signal and having bluetooth on, as well as the details about the apps. I think I'd feel better about the drain if I knew what amount of it was down to network signal....that would be beyond my control and so I think I'd feel that there was nothing more I could do myself to get more out of the battery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe it's because of signal issues, but I've found 4G drains my battery significantly faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

My iPad keeps asking me to install Beta 9.1 but I'd rather wait for the non-Beta 9 tomorrow. Beta 9 is OK but I don't want to keep on the Beta programme. What should I do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Delete the beta profile in Settings > General > Profiles.

Quick update on my battery running iOS9.1

Screenshots attached.

TLDR: down to 5% battery in exactly 24 hours from full charge. Usage time 5hr 33m. Total time with screen on 3hr 43m.

No real killer apps. Most drain is form Safari, the App Store (loads of app updates in the past 24hours), homescreen and emails.

5.5hr of usage isn't too bad, I suppose. I had 4G and wifi on for about 60% the 24 hours. Bluetooth for about an hour.

I could squeeze a bit more by turning other things off, but the drawback would be less usability: I like functions like certain apps having location access, as this makes the device work the way I want. Why turn everything off if you can't enjoy using it?

Although the battery stat display is better in iOS9, I'd like to see even more details about how much battery is consumed by things like searching for signal and having bluetooth on, as well as the details about the apps. I think I'd feel better about the drain if I knew what amount of it was down to network signal....that would be beyond my control and so I think I'd feel that there was nothing more I could do myself to get more out of the battery.

Wayne are finding better stats with 9.1 than 9.0 ? 5.5hrs of usage is poor. With the smaller battery in the 6s the battery life is going to be poor.

Wayne are finding better stats with 9.1 than 9.0 ? 5.5hrs of usage is poor. With the smaller battery in the 6s the battery life is going to be poor.

Broadly similar battery performance on 9 and 9.1, in my experience. No significant difference.

You really think 5.5 hours is poor?

Is that the consensus on here?

I'm not doing anything in particular to burn through the battery (no 3D gaming or watching movies).

If 5.5 is genuinely poor, I suppose I should consider a new battery. The phone is only 7 months old, and the battery has always been about the same....I can't say it has deteriorated from say 10 hours of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I'm on a 5S and since updating to 9.1 battery life seems to have improved a lot. On the earlier 9 betas I was running low by lunchtime. It's also no longer getting so hot.

Right now it's at 64% with 2:29 usage and 6:47 standby

Apart from a few random crashes when searching in safari I'm very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

This gets its official roll out today right?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup 10AM PST, 1PM EST, 18:00 IST/BST

Broadly similar battery performance on 9 and 9.1, in my experience. No significant difference.

You really think 5.5 hours is poor?

Is that the consensus on here?

I'm not doing anything in particular to burn through the battery (no 3D gaming or watching movies).

If 5.5 is genuinely poor, I suppose I should consider a new battery. The phone is only 7 months old, and the battery has always been about the same....I can't say it has deteriorated from say 10 hours of usage.

I would consider it poor the first 6 I owned I got around 7.5 usage and around 22hrs stand-by. On the last 6 I owned I regulaly got 8.5 hours usage and over 1 day stand-by. I would try to conserve battery as best as I can though fetch off, always close Apps after use, limited location services in use.

I would consider it poor the first 6 I owned I got around 7.5 usage and around 22hrs stand-by. On the last 6 I owned I regulaly got 8.5 hours usage and over 1 day stand-by. I would try to conserve battery as best as I can though fetch off, always close Apps after use, limited location services in use.

I just turned mail fetch to 30min instead of push. I get a lot of mails throughout the day, and a 30min check is required.

Location services are very limited on my phone, and all of the apps that use it are set to "only when app is in use" rather than background location use.

I've heard conflicting views on closing apps. The most convincing view I read was that habitually closing apps actually has an adverse effect on battery, as the phone has to bring the app back into RAM from scratch instead of having a frozen version that it can more efficiently re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I'm on a 5S and since updating to 9.1 battery life seems to have improved a lot. On the earlier 9 betas I was running low by lunchtime. It's also no longer getting so hot.

Right now it's at 64% with 2:29 usage and 6:47 standby

Apart from a few random crashes when searching in safari I'm very happy with it.

My 5S battery is horrible on iOS 9 beta. I opted out of the beta because of it. Hoping that the GM comes to the rescue.

Mine has been terrible. I'll be doing a clean install of iOS9, too many different OTA updates i think.

No Watch OS 2 update, this evening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

FourFourFM wrote: »
    No Watch OS 2 update, this evening.

Where did you hear that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

If you are on ios 9.1 will it be possible to install the full release ios9 without having to do a fresh install? Or are you stuck with ios 9.1? Think I'd prefer a full iOS than a beta.

Advertisement