Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due March 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

What is everyone's opinion on buying items for the baby before it arrives? I would be quite reluctant to make big purchases so far in advance for fear of jinxing the pregnancy. We have browsed mothercare and some other shops but I've pulled back on buying. I have been researching buggies, cots etc. and I know the essentials that we will have to buy but I'm not sure when we should actually purchase them? Because January is always tough financially I'd like to buy items now and spread out some of our spending. Any thoughts?

Husband of RK here (been following this thread for a while now!)

I think once you get past the 20 week scan you can start buying things for the little one. The odds are strongly in your favour of a healthy baby in March so best to plan that way until you hear otherwise.

You're right January is a terrible time cause you get paid pre xmas and you have to wait 5 or 6 weeks before you're paid again. Once he/she arrives there will be loads of other baby things to spend money on, best to get a few things out of the way now imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I bought stuff for our first before because I was afraid he'd arrive early and we'd be stuck with nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Due on 9 march boobs feeling very tender and already in maternity trs 4 work usually wear track bottoms in the evenings. I have a pair of dungarees frm my last pregnancy for later on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Collected our travel system yesterday and had the car seat fitting done - was a very strange feeling to see a little car seat in the back of my husband's car! :pac:

Little one gave me a bit of a scare on Saturday morning - generally very lively lately, but I did Parkrun on Saturday morning and it was very quiet for a good while after it. Didn't really move until about lunchtime when I sat down and had a cup of tea and a mince pie. Straight back to normal service later that evening of course, goddamn troll baby!

Collected our travel system yesterday and had the car seat fitting done - was a very strange feeling to see a little car seat in the back of my husband's car! :pac:

Little one gave me a bit of a scare on Saturday morning - generally very lively lately, but I did Parkrun on Saturday morning and it was very quiet for a good while after it. Didn't really move until about lunchtime when I sat down and had a cup of tea and a mince pie. Straight back to normal service later that evening of course, goddamn troll baby!
    The running would have rocked it to sleep! My baby doesn't kick much during the day at all, especially on the days when I'm out and about. She kicks like mad in the middle of the night, though.

I had my big scan on Monday, it was great. I saw her swallowing! As far as they can tell at this stage, there is nothing wrong with her that can be detected on a scan. I was so happy! The gyny was disappointed that he couldn't get a photo of her face because she had her hands up to her face and no matter how much he poked my tummy over the half hour, she wouldn't move them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ilovedexter

Hi there, this is my first post, due on March 9th with second. Enjoy reading the posts here. On an emotional roller coaster today, cried when other kids were mean to my toddler in the playground. Didn't expect that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

, cried when other kids were mean to my toddler in the playground. Didn't expect that

It's awful though when other children in the playground reject yours. Child just wants to play!

We're expecting our second too and we tell each other that soon our daughter will have a live-in playmate. (Not that that won't bring a whole host of fresh challenges!)

I posted here earlier (can't remember the name I used!)....but just to say, for my first, I was too afraid to buy anything. I think we ordered the buggy at about 6 months, but didn't pick it up til about a week beforehand (the shop's fault not ours). Other than that I cautiously started buying around the 30 week mark. I had some bleeding early on that frightened the life out of me and spent 9 months in fear of something going wrong to be honest. Herself is now a very, very, very energetic 17 month old, with a vocabulary fine-tuned to giving orders!! :)

No. 2 is due March 20th (all going well). The same bleeding happened early on, but stopped much, much quicker. I'm 23+2 and my god is it kicking!! No.1 was the same though. The sonographer told me it's WAY down in my pelvis at the 20 week scan - I can feel it, my bladder is really suffering this time round! I'm very, very emotional, keep getting upset at stupid things which is really unlike me. Also have aches and pains around the core muscle area a lot more.

But - I can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Lots of tummy muscle pain the last few days, been checking out kinesio taping on Google. Had a bit of tape left over from previous injuries so I tried it out and it's definitely helping. Any port in a storm lol
    Anyone got any go-to cures for heartburn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Only Rennies. Used them for both pregnancies and they do the trick.

• Advertisement

Adventures in low blood pressure... had a serious dizzy spell at work this morning which didn't fade until I had a lie down on the bathroom floor for around 10 minutes! Went to my GP anyway to get checked out, and he blamed a combination of low BP, slow pulse and increased blood volume due to pregnancy - still a bit weird when it happens though. :eek:

Of course, little one is kicking away and still having the craic in there :pac: 23+4 today, still 2 weeks until my next midwife appointment.

after distracting myself with Christmas shopping and decorating i have to say all this waiting is so much worse,

i feel like everyday is just waiting for something else,

waiting for pre-christmas events,
    waiting for Christmas,
    waiting until January to buy baby stuff,
    waiting until January for next baby appointments,
    waiting until February for other things,
    waiting for baby,

i guess i thought i'd be busier at this time of the year and it would fly by but somehow it's not, it's going so slow, i realised the other day i have bought EVERYTHING gift wise, i've gotten all the little jobs around the house done, (and i feel horrible for moaning i know i am luckier than most) but oh my god the constant neverending WAITING.....

and i don't know about others here but i feel so big compared to the last time, i don't recall being this big at all, it's neat and all in the bump on my front but i feel like i'm constantly carrying a heavy football under my top!

moaning wednesday for me! :D

25 weeks yesterday - feels like time is flying in! I swear this little one is going to be a footballer, spent the entire Newcastle v Liverpool match yesterday using my bladder like a football :pac:

Have pretty much decided it's time to stop running, coinciding with me getting bigger and the weather getting worse! Still in the gym and the pool regularly and doing prenatal yoga on Monday evenings though.

Booked my antenatal classes to start at the end of January and run through February just there, another bit done. We won a side-sleeper cot (Chicco Next2me) on an Amazon promotion on Friday so absolutely delighted with that - saves us a good chunk! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

To the poster 're heartburn, rennies are almost useless if it's pretty bad. Liquid gaviscon straight from the fridge is better. Saved me from even more sleepless nights during my last 2 months!!

Oh+ she was born with a full thick head of hair!! Nurses+ docs were all coming to look at her :-) maybe the old wives thing is true :-)

Leogirl wrote: »
    To the poster 're heartburn, rennies are almost useless if it's pretty bad. Liquid gaviscon straight from the fridge is better. Saved me from even more sleepless nights during my last 2 months!!

Oh+ she was born with a full thick head of hair!! Nurses+ docs were all coming to look at her :-) maybe the old wives thing is true :-)
    There actually is scientific evidence for it - apparently the hormones that cause heartburn also provoke hair growth!

I had my regular gyny check up this morning (at 26+2). Everything is going grand, she is about 950g which is bang on the average weight scale. Still couldn't get a face picture because the little scut had her hands AND feet in front of her face!
    I felt like she had moved as my tummy felt strange and the kicks are coming from different places, and yes, she has gone bum down. But as the doctor said, that's no big deal at this stage of the pregnancy.
    I got the prescription for the O'Sullivan test, bleurgh not looking forward to that.

I'm a Gaviscon fan. Nothing else works. Also had a baby with a head of hair last time round!

We had no face pics either IvyTheTerrible, despite the 20 week scan AND a follow-up 24 weeks scan, due to the baby's position. Everything else looks to be fine. It's fairly flying around in there, quite low down still. Same as you, bum is down in pelvis and kicking like crazy. Pretty sure it's sitting on my bladder, I don't remember being this uncomfortable this early on last time round. I'm 25 weeks and I'm finding it so slow! I do remember finding the 20-30 week period the longest last time round too.

Next appointment is just after Christmas. I'm already thinking about getting the GP to sign me off work early, as the commute is just too much (public transport).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

Digs wrote: »
    Just popping in from June!

I see Dr Derval Mercer in the gables medical centre in Dundrum, it's an all female practise. She is brilliant, extremely personable and in my opinion a really good doctor. Their surgery is just at the round about above dundrum shopping centre although they are in temporary premises on the ballinteer road while the surgery is being done up :) they should be back in the usual place next month.

I am so annoyed :(
    I changed doctors to this practise, I rang and asked if I could change to another doctor for combined care mid pregnancy and they said yes.
    So off I popped today for my 28 wk doc apt, they gave me a new form for combined care, I saw the doc and was then charged €60! €60 that I don't have.
    Surely I should have been informed of this before today, I probably should have said something while I was there but I was too shocked! If I'd known this was going to happen I would have driven to my precious doctor, diesel certainly wouldn't have cost me €60! :(:(
    What happens now when I send off the form do they get paid for today's visit too! I assume they don't get full fees. I'm tempted to just continue going to my previous doctor now as I feel today was bit cheeky.
    When I went to my doctor did first pregnancy apt and filled in the form they didn't charge me while waiting for it to be returned... Is this the norm? :( sorry for rant

25 week appointment today - all is well with the little one. Fundal height was exactly as expected and a good strong heartbeat. Got my MATB1 form as well so should now have everything sorted with HR for my maternity leave and forwarded a scan to my husband so he can sort his 2 weeks paternity leave, also got my fit-to-fly letter so that I don't get any bull**** from airline staff when I fly home for Christmas. Next appointment is a week late, I'm due my next appointment (28 weeks) on New Year's Eve but the clinic is closed so will be the next week.

I'm doing the O'Sullivan test tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed I don't puke or faint in the middle of it!
    Luckily the lab opens at 7.30am so I'll go as early as possible to get it out of the way.

• Advertisement

*crosses fingers for Ivy*

I asked about it at my appointment and was told that I don't have to do it - apparently for under 35 with no family history of diabetes they don't require it in my area.

*crosses fingers for Ivy*

I asked about it at my appointment and was told that I don't have to do it - apparently for under 35 with no family history of diabetes they don't require it in my area.
    That's interesting. Here it's not obligatory but it's advised for everybody. I'm 35 now but I got the test when I was pregnant with my first child when I was 31/32.

25 week appointment today - all is well with the little one. Fundal height was exactly as expected and a good strong heartbeat. Got my MATB1 form as well so should now have everything sorted with HR for my maternity leave and forwarded a scan to my husband so he can sort his 2 weeks paternity leave, also got my fit-to-fly letter so that I don't get any bull**** from airline staff when I fly home for Christmas. Next appointment is a week late, I'm due my next appointment (28 weeks) on New Year's Eve but the clinic is closed so will be the next week.

I didn't think our partners were entitled to the new paternity leave?

I'm in the UK :)

I'm in the UK :)

Ah I see, I was getting a little excited there thinking my partner would have two weeks off :(

It would be still worth getting him to check with HR or in his employee handbook to see if they do have any policies surrounding parental leave - there was someone on the father's thread recently who had two weeks paid from his company in Dublin.

It would be still worth getting him to check with HR or in his employee handbook to see if they do have any policies surrounding parental leave - there was someone on the father's thread recently who had two weeks paid from his company in Dublin.

Thanks he gets 3 days from his company which is better than nothing

That's interesting. Here it's not obligatory but it's advised for everybody. I'm 35 now but I got the test when I was pregnant with my first child when I was 31/32.

Really? Never heard a mention of it here either (Ireland). Unless they pick up problems with BP, heart rate, obesity etc. Or there's a history of it.
    I think baby has turned for me - kicks have moved up and are no longer buried in my pelvis (thank God). I've sore hips though, which is uncomfortable. I also think the hiccups may have started :) Also thinking about the birth, I was treated for Strep B last time round and will be this time too, so the quicker I get into the hospital once things start, the better (labour expected to be relatively short). Not bothering with any ante-natal classes this time round, I think I've got the picture of how it all works!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I'm having mine on Monday, was told I have to have it due to a family history of diabetes (mam had it)...

• Advertisement

catreyn wrote: »
    I'm having mine on Monday, was told I have to have it due to a family history of diabetes (mam had it)...

I went and got it done yesterday, it wasn't as bad as last time as they had space to put me lying down in a room for the two hours so I didn't faint or feel sick. Got the results yesterday afternoon, and I don't have it, yay!

Advertisement