Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due March 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Dolbert wrote: »
    The full bladder is only for earlier scans, as it moves the uterus into a better position and shows up black on the screen so makes baby easier to see! It probably depends on what equipment they're working with too. I was told to have a drink, but no need to be "bursting"!

The lady I had on Monday was very put out that I didn't have a full bladder-and I'm 34 weeks!!! I wouldn't mind but I'd guzzled a 500ml bottle of water before I went in and that's _far_ too much for me these days!!! lol

Had my fourth antenatal class on Tuesday, explaining positions for labour, as well as do's and don't's for car seats, tummy time, flat head syndrome, etc. was surprised that they advocate no baby carriers until after 12 weeks. I understand the ones that have no support for the head but thought the ones with an infant insert like the Ergobaby ones would be ok. So I'm going to hold off on getting one for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

32 week appointment today - everything looking good, baby still head down but his back has shifted from my right side to my left side since my last appointment. It was the cover midwife taking the appointment though rather than my usual one, and she had managed to book out all the slots already for the day I'm supposed to have my 34 week one ( :rolleyes::mad: ) so I'm stuck waiting on a callback for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Cateryn that's completely incorrect about carriers, there are loads suitable from birth, buckle ones with inserts, wraps, ring slings etc. Such a pity they are giving incorrect info and parents will miss out on the snuggles and usefulness of carriers in the fourth trimester :( Join Babywearing Ireland page on fb for proper accurate advice! I had a stretchy wrap used from 7 days old and thats only because he was in scbu until he was 5 days. My buckle carrier has a newborn insert like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Aldi have some baby stuff on sale today, I bought some cellular blankets and a nappy bin but there were lots of other bits people might be interested in.

Cateryn that's completely incorrect about carriers, there are loads suitable from birth, buckle ones with inserts, wraps, ring slings etc. Such a pity they are giving incorrect info and parents will miss out on the snuggles and usefulness of carriers in the fourth trimester :( Join Babywearing Ireland page on fb for proper accurate advice! I had a stretchy wrap used from 7 days old and thats only because he was in scbu until he was 5 days. My buckle carrier has a newborn insert like you said.

That's what I was thinking! I had been looking into a few different types that all were supposedly suitable from birth and then the physio told me that!!! Was quite surprised tbh.

Got signed off work again today with my bp 😕 What's frustrating is that my doctor sends me to the hospital to get checked out after signing me off and the doctors at the hospital are all "yeah, there's really nothing to worry about as far as we can see"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

32weeks 3days today and just had a scan. Baby is measuring 5 pounds 3 ounces already :-o

This is my first baby so slightly terrified at what size it'll be at full term! Eep!

Well dopeyhole never called me or emailed me back re 34 week appointment but instead put an appointment on the system at an AWFUL time of day for anyone who works full-time (12:00) when I'm closer to 36 weeks. I'm furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had my first appointment with my midwife yesterday. It was great, she is the same midwife I had for my first and she's great.
    The clinic I'm going to give birth in is moving to a new location. While the old location was great for me (very close to where I live) and I'm a bit nervous about the traffic to get to the new clinic, the midwife told me that the new one is super modern, and it's nearly all private rooms, so there is very little chance I'll have to share, yippee!

So just over a month to (or possibly 6 weeks if I go over) and I have finally got my hospital bag (and the baby's bag) together, I imagine there's a lot of stuff that is unnecessary. We had our last antenatal class last week so I'm an expert now ;) I don't think the reality of having a newborn has hit me yet but I think no matter how much you read or prepare you are never going to be ready for the whirlwind that is about to hit.

I as having a tough time the last few weeks with bad headaches but I think I'm on top of them now. One thing I am looking forward to is being able to sleep on my back again :o I try sleeping on my side but my hips hurt after a while and occasionally I slip onto my back which is much more comfortable for me but I know it's advised against so I reluctantly roll over onto my other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ha, hollymartins I read your post and wondered if you were me! :) Sore hips, both this time and last time at night. Do you put a pillow between your knees? I find that helps, but this time round I find I'm waking up at night and the hips are sore anyway, so I take the pillow out for a bit which helps too.....sleeping on your back is absolutely amazing once you can do it again, and it never lost its novelty after I had the first one (sad, I know!)

No point in anticipating the havoc a newborn can wreak :) I could give you a load of cliched advice, but I won't. You've heard it all I'm sure, but it's only when it hits that you really realise. Nobody tells you about the emotional stuff so much though - wow. It's incredible. It really is.

I've packed bags this weekend too, but for the life of me I can't really remember what I had in them last time round - and what I actually needed vs what was never used. Definitely remember OH coming and going with clean and dirty clothes, so I'm bringing enough to get me through a few days and assuming I'll be sending him home with a bag of washing when he comes in (and giving him a list of stuff to bring in each time :) ) - better leave stuff out where he can find it at home!!!!

6 weeks to go and I am DYING to have my body back to myself. Excited to meet this baby, despite knowing what to expect this time around - but so, so, so looking forward to eating what I want, having the odd glass of wine, being able to breathe properly, and sleeping the way I want (when I can :) )

• Advertisement

34 weeks yesterday here, looking an awful lot like a watermelon smuggler at the moment! Little dude seems to be constantly stretching his little feet into the top of my bump, starting to wonder if he's trying to kick my boobs out of the way because they're pretty massive (32J, up 6 cup sizes!!) at the moment too...

Went shopping at the weekend for things for my hospital bag, got a fantastic bargain in M&S - twin pack of nursing bras marked at £28, got it to the till and it scanned at £4 :D Went through our baby stuff drawer and realised that we have more clothes than we thought, my tactic of grabbing a couple of small bits every time I'm in a big supermarket doing the shopping appears to be working!

Still sleeping alright, only up once a night in general, but feel less refreshed than usual even after 8+ hours.

3 weeks left in work - finishing up on the 26th @ 36+5, looking forward to finishing up and having a bit of a break.

35 + 2 and gyny appointment today. Everything seems grand. She's 2.5 kgs.
    Head is very far down apparently, but he doesn't think she'll arrive in the next week because my cervix is closed. We'll see. My bump is lower today than yesterday! Still getting Braxton Hicks contractions every day. Eeep.

We have everything now for the baby, just have to wash a few of the old stuff to freshen it up.
    Only thing I haven't been able to find are nighties with buttons (for breastfeeding) for the clinic. It's a pain in the bum, literally, to take off pj bottoms every time you need to be examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

35 + 2 and gyny appointment today. Everything seems grand. She's 2.5 kgs.
    Head is very far down apparently, but he doesn't think she'll arrive in the next week because my cervix is closed. We'll see. My bump is lower today than yesterday! Still getting Braxton Hicks contractions every day. Eeep.

We have everything now for the baby, just have to wash a few of the old stuff to freshen it up.
    Only thing I haven't been able to find are nighties with buttons (for breastfeeding) for the clinic. It's a pain in the bum, literally, to take off pj bottoms every time you need to be examined.

Hopping in from April . Had the same problems with night dresses, found some great ones in Penney's dundrum(think you're abroad so maybe they could be posted!) Anyway, they are like button down long shirts, in a lovely navy and white check, rather than granny pink!

javagal wrote: »
    Hopping in from April . Had the same problems with night dresses, found some great ones in Penney's dundrum(think you're abroad so maybe they could be posted!) Anyway, they are like button down long shirts, in a lovely navy and white check, rather than granny pink!
    Aw thanks for this! I have my mum on the lookout for these at home so I'll let her know! :)

I think we've hit yet another slowdown... the prenatal yoga class which was the easiest thing in the world when I started it at 23 weeks is starting to feel like harder work! Bump feels huge and constantly in the way, baby feels like a bag of cats in there and I feel like I need about another 3 hours sleep on top of what I normally get most of the time. Pass the chocolate :pac:

35+2 now, have the baby's hospital bag packed and waiting on a delivery of nursing PJs from Mothercare to start packing my own.

Also 35 + 2 - and finished work last week. I 've never been so thankful, I was just totally exhausted. Admittedly I'm home with an energetic toddler, which is almost as hard but at least I can stay in my tracksuit bottoms all day :) The bump is way way down and the baby is wriggling like crazy. Not engaged yet, but I'm not worried about that. Going to enjoy the time off - is anyone else having weird dreams about labour? I was definitely not this preoccupied by it last time round, maybe ignorance was bliss!!

i get where you are coming from on the sleep thing (and the chocolate thing), i am already taking afternoon naps, we have hospital bag, baby bag packed and ready with cot and buggy all ready to go too, i feel so ready right now, yet i am still wondering what it is i am forgetting.... :D

anyone else seeing little arms or legs poking out? :) every now and then i see a little bump protruding from the belly, got a mini scan in the cumh to confirm baby is head down (it was transverse up to last week) and i am hoping it comes soon, i am looking forward to meet him/her so much,

i get where you are coming from on the sleep thing (and the chocolate thing), i am already taking afternoon naps, we have hospital bag, baby bag packed and ready with cot and buggy all ready to go too, i feel so ready right now, yet i am still wondering what it is i am forgetting.... :D

anyone else seeing little arms or legs poking out? :) every now and then i see a little bump protruding from the belly, got a mini scan in the cumh to confirm baby is head down (it was transverse up to last week) and i am hoping it comes soon, i am looking forward to meet him/her so much,
    Yeah, in the morning she has a wee stretch and I can feel one of her little feet poking out!

I went to see the anaesthetist in the clinic yesterday for the pre-anaesthesia check-up. Bit of a rip-off, tbh. I waiting an hour in the waiting room for an appointment that lasted less than five minutes, he only checked my blood pressure (which I know is fine) and described when I might need to be anaesthetised (which I knew already, I had the same apt last time), and it cost 30 euro.

I had a rough night the night before, I woke up at 2 with pain in my belly, I thought that maybe it was starting but after two hours of discomfort and feeling sick, it stopped. No practice contractions since.

Had a scan on Monday which confirmed Baby is bottom down with its legs straight up in front of it! Had antenatal clinic straight after & one of the midwives came up to me just before I went in to say that if the doctor seeing me didn't say anything about a section, I was to demand to talk to the obstetrician! So I was a little anxious going in. Then the doctor starts blithely talking about dates for sections-no mention of trying to turn the baby or anything! He takes my blood pressure, it's through the roof for some reason(!) and I ended up admitted til yesterday evening for monitoring!!
    It's back to what it's been for the last 6 weeks (up but not up enough to get over-worried about). Asked in the hospital about getting the baby turned and was told they don't have any doctors that do that anymore, that if a baby is breech, they book you in for a section. A midwife advised me to go home and bounce on my birthing ball like crazy lol If it turns on its own in the meantime they won't do the section.
    I don't know how I feel about having a section. I've never had any kind of surgery so that part is a little scary. I'm not looking forward to the 6-weeks-without-a-car part, I live in the country so a car is essential if I want to go anywhere.
    Any ladies able to do a "compare & contrast" on your experiences of natural labour vs section for me? ��
    The funny part of it all is that I decided Sunday evening to do up a birth plan for myself! Spent a couple of hours looking at different ones online and then I have to pretty much start from scratch 12 hours later!!! lol

I have lists done for everything and I'm still convinced I've left stuff out! lol I keep getting head butts into my ribs (usually after I've eaten which is _really_ helpful for heartburn!) and the last week or so I get a foot out my side!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I haven't had a natural birth but had an emergency c section and the recovery was so much easier than I ever expected. Re the 6 weeks without driving it depends on your insurance policy so you could check that out, some let you drive earlier. I didn't really need to drive as I live close to anywhere I needed to go in the first weeks but I could comfortably have driven after 3-4 weeks, was out walking down town from day 12 on.

• Advertisement

It's back to what it's been for the last 6 weeks (up but not up enough to get over-worried about). Asked in the hospital about getting the baby turned and was told they don't have any doctors that do that anymore, that if a baby is breech, they book you in for a section. A midwife advised me to go home and bounce on my birthing ball like crazy lol If it turns on its own in the meantime they won't do the section.

How far along are you? Mine turned head up at 32 weeks, then down, then up and down again in the space of 3 weeks (btw, I don't know how you're putting up with it, it was a desperately uncomfortable way for the baby to lie).

Anyway, point being, all fours seems to be the best way to turn the baby. Currently doing prenatal yoga (baby no. 2 here) and going around on all fours for short periods during the day worked for me. There is a website called spinningbabies, but I don't know, I'd be a bit sceptical of some of the stuff on that. I also lay with my elbows propped on the yoga ball, or on all fours, with your forehead down on the floor (or on your hands on the floor). The theory seems to be to avoid doing things that will push the baby into your pelvis - I would have thought that bouncing on the yoga ball will do that??

Having said that - you're right, they just schedule a C-section I think for breech babies. I have seen that you can give birth to a breech baby, but they don't seem to go in for that. Also I think you do reach a point where the baby just hasn't got the space to turn.

I've had a natural labour but no C-section, recovery seemed fine, but was hampered by having to go in for a D&C about a week after the birth. Took me longer to get over that, to be honest.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't know how I feel about having a section. I've never had any kind of surgery so that part is a little scary. I'm not looking forward to the 6-weeks-without-a-car part, I live in the country so a car is essential if I want to go anywhere.
    Any ladies able to do a "compare & contrast" on your experiences of natural labour vs section for me? ��

I had a section, but not a vaginal birth. Mine was an emergency one, so the scheduled ones are different in that you have more time to digest what's ahead of you, process it, and come up with any questions you might have. This is my Birth Stories post about it.

Like you, I've never had surgery that I can remember (had a minor op as a toddler but have no memory of that)

The most difficult aspects of it for me were, 1. getting sufficient rest in the ward which was noisy, and 2. pain management (which I've later found out that administered meds in my case were very stingy compared to other hospitals.

They got me on my feet the day after. I had a shower, and got food. I didnt encounter any issues with breastfeeding as a result of the section either. I got lots and lots of skin time with the baby, and they latched him on pretty much as soon as I was stitched up.

The rest, I better spoiler tag and then whoever wants to, can choose to read or not :)
    The first 5 days, you'll be sore, but it's bearable with the meds. I was discharged without any prescription on day 5, which I think was an oversight as other women I know had a few days worth of difene prescribed. While it was sore, I did manage with paracetamol, and because I was home, could properly rest and got literally waited on hand and foot by the OH, unlike in hospital. but then I reckon mums who deliver vaginally would also be tender and sore for a couple of days too.

The bead stitch I got healed perfectly. I had no complications at all, and the make the incision from under the bump so that when you heal, its well under your knicker line of even the skimpiest of undies.

If you do go for a c-section my tips would be:
    • Stick a maternity towel into the inside front of your knickers to cushion against any accidental glances off your incision in the early days.
    • See if you can get a laxative that's ok to take for your first bowel movement (the morphine or one of the C-section meds gave me diarrhoea which for once, I was very grateful for!
    • Ask for a pain prescription even for a few days before you leave the hospital.
    • If you can, book a californian wax before your due date so you dont have to worry about stubble or re-growth until you are nearly recovered. As you'll still have lochia discharge (I had about 3 weeks of it, you kinda feel cleaner too with a wax.
    • Have a look at You-Tube videos for how to get out of bed /off the sofa with abdominal surgery so you don't put strain on your wound.
    • See if you can do nice gentle slow walks after the first couple of weeks. As long as you are getting your circulation going, the PHN wont hound you about wearing those awful surgical stockings. They might not be too bad this time of year. I had them in a heatwave. :(

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    How far along are you? Mine turned head up at 32 weeks, then down, then up and down again in the space of 3 weeks (btw, I don't know how you're putting up with it, it was a desperately uncomfortable way for the baby to lie).
    37 weeks gone :o It was turning like crazy since the 32 week mark, up & down like a wee yo-yo. I've been head butted into oblivion and now the feet and elbows are getting in on the act as well :D It's definitely 'little and often' in terms of food, anything else is just asking for heartburn/reflux :D
    Anyway, point being, all fours seems to be the best way to turn the baby. Currently doing prenatal yoga (baby no. 2 here) and going around on all fours for short periods during the day worked for me. There is a website called spinningbabies, but I don't know, I'd be a bit sceptical of some of the stuff on that. I also lay with my elbows propped on the yoga ball, or on all fours, with your forehead down on the floor (or on your hands on the floor). The theory seems to be to avoid doing things that will push the baby into your pelvis - I would have thought that bouncing on the yoga ball will do that??

Having said that - you're right, they just schedule a C-section I think for breech babies. I have seen that you can give birth to a breech baby, but they don't seem to go in for that. Also I think you do reach a point where the baby just hasn't got the space to turn.

I've had a natural labour but no C-section, recovery seemed fine, but was hampered by having to go in for a D&C about a week after the birth. Took me longer to get over that, to be honest.

The midwife signing me out of the hospital yesterday told me to bounce on the ball and going on all fours (the key seems to be to get your pelvis below your stomach so stretch your arms out in front of you). Tbh at this stage, I don't think it'll turn, like you said space is at a bit of a premium now! :D

Neyite wrote: »
    I had a section, but not a vaginal birth. Mine was an emergency one, so the scheduled ones are different in that you have more time to digest what's ahead of you, process it, and come up with any questions you might have. This is my Birth Stories post about it.

Like you, I've never had surgery that I can remember (had a minor op as a toddler but have no memory of that)

The most difficult aspects of it for me were, 1. getting sufficient rest in the ward which was noisy, and 2. pain management (which I've later found out that administered meds in my case were very stingy compared to other hospitals.

They got me on my feet the day after. I had a shower, and got food. I didnt encounter any issues with breastfeeding as a result of the section either. I got lots and lots of skin time with the baby, and they latched him on pretty much as soon as I was stitched up.

The rest, I better spoiler tag and then whoever wants to, can choose to read or not :)
    The first 5 days, you'll be sore, but it's bearable with the meds. I was discharged without any prescription on day 5, which I think was an oversight as other women I know had a few days worth of difene prescribed. While it was sore, I did manage with paracetamol, and because I was home, could properly rest and got literally waited on hand and foot by the OH, unlike in hospital. but then I reckon mums who deliver vaginally would also be tender and sore for a couple of days too.

The bead stitch I got healed perfectly. I had no complications at all, and the make the incision from under the bump so that when you heal, its well under your knicker line of even the skimpiest of undies.

If you do go for a c-section my tips would be:
    • Stick a maternity towel into the inside front of your knickers to cushion against any accidental glances off your incision in the early days.
    • See if you can get a laxative that's ok to take for your first bowel movement (the morphine or one of the C-section meds gave me diarrhoea which for once, I was very grateful for!
    • Ask for a pain prescription even for a few days before you leave the hospital.
    • If you can, book a californian wax before your due date so you dont have to worry about stubble or re-growth until you are nearly recovered. As you'll still have lochia discharge (I had about 3 weeks of it, you kinda feel cleaner too with a wax.
    • Have a look at You-Tube videos for how to get out of bed /off the sofa with abdominal surgery so you don't put strain on your wound.
    • See if you can do nice gentle slow walks after the first couple of weeks. As long as you are getting your circulation going, the PHN wont hound you about wearing those awful surgical stockings. They might not be too bad this time of year. I had them in a heatwave. :(

I've already had the fun of that on Monday & Tuesday nights :p :pac:
    Thank you for the tips as well, will definitely be putting these on my list!!!;)

How are we all getting on? Getting closer now! :eek:

36+2 here, currently doing a happy dance because little guy dropping a small bit (not engaged yet though) has meant no heartburn for a week *\o/* He's still massively wriggly, particularly when I have hot drinks or porridge - guaranteed little feet going mental! Finishing up in work on Friday and I am SO ready to not have to commute at rush hour for 8 months. Hospital bag is mostly packed - could do with another couple of little cardigans for himself and I'm waiting on a couple more bits to be delivered for me.

37 + 3 here, she must be quite squashed, my belly has popped out more since the weekend. Heartburn is getting worse if anything! I have her foot sticking out of my right side a lot now.

Oh and today I have a symptom I've never had before, leaky boobs, NICE! (not!)

37 + 3 here, she must be quite squashed, my belly has popped out more since the weekend. Heartburn is getting worse if anything! I have her foot sticking out of my right side a lot now.

Oh and today I have a symptom I've never had before, leaky boobs, NICE! (not!)

Mine started that last week :eek: Himself started singing Snow's Informer ("a leaky boob-boob now!!!!" lol) when he spotted it :D I do apologise if that becomes an earworm for anyone...:o:P

36+3...baby is so low, and I swear it's head engaged yesterday. Either that or I endured a whole heap of muscular pain and nausea for nothing (generally a sign that something is happening, for me!) It can't physically go any lower, so I can't actually imagine what else it might have been doing :) My hip bones will never be the same again...

I'm so ready for this baby to come, but I do want it to hang on til 37/38 weeks at the same time, for obvious developmental reasons. At least they're a bit closer than they were last week I suppose! The toddler is getting used to mammy being incapable of doing anything much that's of interest to a toddler right now. She's having to become very independent - which has it's upsides from her point of view :)

Bag is packed. Not mentally prepared at all. Fingers crossed for a healthy birth and a healthy baby - that's my one wish in life right now for the foreseeable future.All else can wait.

At 36 weeks baby is no longer considered premature, so any developmental problems would be minimal, so let your mind rest! :)

• Advertisement

I started maternity leave this week, I thought I would be bored sitting around all day but I've been so busy with little jobs like washing baby clothes/blankets, cooking food for the freezer, I guess you could call it nesting :) Then there's loads of people who want to meet up before the baby arrives but apart from one or two friends I really wanted to see I just can't be bothered trekking into town to meet anyone else, I'm getting tired so quickly.

Next week I plan on taking it easy and be more a lady of leisure. May I ask everyone what their partners are doing leave-wise when you have the baby? My husband can only get a week off so he's going to take it when the baby is born, work is flexible in that regard and he doesn't have to give a specific date yet, if I end up having a c-section and staying in hospital I'd be inclined to tell him to go into work for some of those days. Once he returns to work after his week off he's going to take a day off each week for the following month or so, St. Patrick's and Easter should fall around that time too.

Advertisement