Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due March 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Holly - my husband is taking 2 weeks when the little one arrives, with the possibility of taking a third week if it is needed (if I end up needing a C-section and need a little extra help etc). We're in the UK so 2 weeks is fairly standard for paternity leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I have no nesting instinct whatsoever! Luckily my husband does, he's cleaning the apartment from top to bottom.
    He won't be able to get much leave when the baby arrives, his new job starts on Monday and it's not going to be easy to take time off (he works with plants and you can't delay flowering time!)

Our local paper had a webchat this morning with the director of the clinic I'm going to give birth in, because they are moving to a brand spanking new clinic tomorrow. Apparently, if I was to give birth today, I'd go to the old clinic, and then they'd transfer tomorrow to the new one! Luckily I don't feel like I'm going to go yet, baby feels high.
    One good thing the director said is that there are 60 bedrooms in the new maternity unit, with 48 of them being single rooms, so it seems unless there is a rush on, I'll get a private room, yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My husband will take 2 weeks leave anyway.

Last time round he planned 2 weeks. But I was in hospital for 5 days after the birth with the baby being monitored, then had to return the next week for me (D&C), so he ended up extending his leave to about 4 weeks. His job were fairly ok about it. This time I'm hoping he'll take the 2 and we won't need to extend it for any other reason than he wants to :)

Ivy, I don't know where you're giving birth but it sounds brilliant. My nesting instinct seems to consist of spending chunks of money on things like new built-in wardrobes, or a new carpet for the hall. Otherwise it's as much as I can do to cook the dinner every day! The worst part is that I was the most organised person around before No.1 arrived and I now no longer have it in me - and I find it very frustrating!!!

Only a few more weeks to go :)

Well my little lad has chicken pox apparently (he's staying with his grandparents this week because it's school holidays here).
    Luckily, I've had it already as my googling this morning told me it's risky to be exposed to chickenpox at the end of pregnancy (like all the members of the herpes family).
    I had a bit of stress this morning because I couldn't get in touch with my GP or my gyny to confirm that everything was ok. Anyway they both got back to me so my mind is at ease now.

37 weeks now and on maternity leave, it's a good feeling :) Trying to get a few things done this week - haircut, nursing bra fit etc, also have tickets for Arsenal at the Emirates on Wednesday night and for the track cycling worlds out in the Olympic velodrome on Thursday. Little dude seems very comfortable and wriggly so not anticipating an early break for freedom!

• Advertisement

38+2 today, had my last gyny check-up this morning.
    Had what felt like a massive contraction (and painful, this time) yesterday evening but seemingly it's just "practice" because cervix is closed, baby is down but not so much, wiggly etc so gyny said "she's not coming out today, anyway".
    3kgs and growth is grand.
    Got the swab done for Strep, need a bloodtest for coagulation, and got my prescription for monitoring by the midwife.
    I only have to see the gyny if I go over term. Nearly there! :)

Ivy, do you get the strep swab as routine or is it something you requested?

I only found out I had it by "accident" - in that I went in with bleeding early in pregnancy no.1 and they happened to swab for it then. Wouldn't have known otherwise.

swooshty wrote: »
    Ivy, do you get the strep swab as routine or is it something you requested?

I only found out I had it by "accident" - in that I went in with bleeding early in pregnancy no.1 and they happened to swab for it then. Wouldn't have known otherwise.
    Over here, it's standard. You get it in the ninth month of pregnancy as a matter of course.

That's very interesting - they won't do it here as standard because they say that your result can vary throughout the pregnancy, so there's no point.

As I said, I found out about it very early in my first, and was treated for it. They haven't bothered to test me again this time round but they're going to treat me with antibiotics again for it anyway - even though they've told me that it should have been cleared by the treatment last time.I'm assuming it's mainly funding and management of results that's really the issue here though.

It all seems a bit odd.Especially since a little bit of me wonders if the battery of antibiotics that I got during labour (and that my little one subsequently got) contributed to, or caused her to have silent reflux. I'm not sure how I feel about being given an antibiotic for the sake of it, although I know it's for good reasons.

In to the Rotunda this week. Hoping all looks good, baby's head is engaged apparently (felt that happening) and I feel it pushed even further down last night. I've no clue HOW it can have space to go further down. Beginning to feel a lot of pressure on my pelvis etc and I'm very slow and uncomfortable. Got the hair cut at the weekend and have managed to do most of the bits that needed doing, despite having a very determined No.1 in tow.

I think I'm ready for this baby to come.

I had my monitoring appointment with the midwife yesterday. She had the trace thing on me for an hour, and I had 3 contractions apparently. I felt one pretty strongly.
    She said she would be surprised if I went to 41 weeks (I never had ANY contractions during the monitoring on my first pregnancy). I've had a couple of contractions today, one of which was a bit sore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Oh contractions, how exciting :)

I'm due next week but I haven't had any twinges or braxton hicks so I wouldn't be surprised if I go over by a week or two. My husband keeps on telling my bump to hurry up but I'm not too uncomfortable so if I go over by a bit I don't mind. I wouldn't like to be induced but I guess it's out of my hands at this point :o

Oh contractions, how exciting :)

I'm due next week but I haven't had any twinges or braxton hicks so I wouldn't be surprised if I go over by a week or two. My husband keeps on telling my bump to hurry up but I'm not too uncomfortable so if I go over by a bit I don't mind. I wouldn't like to be induced but I guess it's out of my hands at this point :o
    I know there are a lot of stories about induction not being pleasant, but I was induced for my first and it was fine. The thing that was painful for me, was that he was back-to-back, and if I'd gone normally, that wouldn't have changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I know there are a lot of stories about induction not being pleasant, but I was induced for my first and it was fine. The thing that was painful for me, was that he was back-to-back, and if I'd gone normally, that wouldn't have changed!

I was also induced with my first, I didn't have any problems with it either. I suppose it's preferable if the baby can come in their own time without chivvying but I was nearly 42 weeks so she couldn't be waited on much longer! As it was my waters weren't clear when they were broken and they were considering a c section at one point so it was probably best to get her out.

Ooh here's hoping Ivy. Are your contractions sore? I'm getting very regular - somethings....they're not sore enough to be contractions, but they're fairly regular Braxton Hicks, so very hard to tell. Indications are baby's head is well engaged and doctor feels it's unlikely he'll see me again.

With my last (my first) I had 2 weeks of pre-labour - essentially period pain cramps and nausea. On week 40+1, my waters broke and she appeared 7 hours later :) I know I was miserable for 2 weeks beforehand (and clueless!) but it was so worth it for the short labour :) Hoping for something similar this time round.

It's reassuring to hear some good induction experiences :)

Is everyone on their maternity leave? I've been out and about every other day but I'm still getting through a lot of television shows that I dvr'd in preparation for this time off, House of Cards is out today so that's my weekend sorted :)

Yep, finished up last Friday. Have gotten a few bits done this week but have been quite lazy in general! 37+5 and little guy seems very comfortable so I think we'll be here for a while to come :pac: Pelvis is complaining a bit today after spending a lot of time on my feet over the last couple of days (was at a football match on Wednesday and at the velodrome yesterday for the track cycling worlds) but should be ok if I take it handy.

Finished a fortnight ago!! Just hit a wall and couldn't do it anymore (subsequently discovered low iron levels, which explained a lot!!)

I am 100% employed in entertaining the toddler, due to our childminder being incapacitated for a bit. Not quite what I had planned, but it's not like I have an option! Any TV I see during the day consists of CBeebies daytime schedule. We're mostly out and about though. I had intended to do a good bit of walking just to keep active and try to kickstart things, as this worked really well for me last time round. It helps during labour too. I'm not quite managing the walks I intended but still getting out at least twice a day with herself, even if it is just to meander around the local beaches and playgrounds.....

It's reassuring to hear some good induction experiences :)

Is everyone on their maternity leave? I've been out and about every other day but I'm still getting through a lot of television shows that I dvr'd in preparation for this time off, House of Cards is out today so that's my weekend sorted :)
    I've been out on maternity leave since the last day of January, I do a lot of moving around in my job and the travelling was just exhausting. So gyny signed me off early.
    I took advantage of the extra time off to study for exams I'll have just after the birth.
    I have zero nesting instinct, luckily my husband has so he cleaned the apartment from top to bottom last week and we are ready to go (39 weeks today).

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

37+2weeks here and can't seem to stop waking up at 5am despite not going to sleep until well after midnight in most instances. Normally I can't be dragged out of the bed so this is rather strange for me! Is this some kind of weird preparation your body puts you through for the sleep deprivation a baby brings?

One week left in work... But can't imagine great productivity with this sleep drought!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

37+2weeks here and can't seem to stop waking up at 5am despite not going to sleep until well after midnight in most instances. Normally I can't be dragged out of the bed so this is rather strange for me! Is this some kind of weird preparation your body puts you through for the sleep deprivation a baby brings?

One week left in work... But can't imagine great productivity with this sleep drought!

I'm 36+2 and know EXACTLY what you mean! I'm usually asleep by 10 and wake up around 7 but last night, half 4, I just...woke up. Wide awake. Past couple of nights have been like this and it's killing me! I need to overdose on sleep now so when the little one comes I can think back on my full nights sleep fondly while I'm feeding her at 2 in the morning...and 4 and 7 :P

• Advertisement

The pregnancy insomnia p-s me off! Especially when it's said that it's supposed to prepared you for being woken up when the baby is born, that's silly, when the baby is born, I'll just wake up, feed her, and then I'll go back to sleep straight away with exhaustion! But this lying awake for hours in the middle of the night for nothing, that can feck right off!

(Last Tuesday night, I woke and 1am and DID NOT SLEEP AGAIN that night. Grr!)

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    Ooh here's hoping Ivy. Are your contractions sore? I'm getting very regular - somethings....they're not sore enough to be contractions, but they're fairly regular Braxton Hicks, so very hard to tell. Indications are baby's head is well engaged and doctor feels it's unlikely he'll see me again.

With my last (my first) I had 2 weeks of pre-labour - essentially period pain cramps and nausea. On week 40+1, my waters broke and she appeared 7 hours later :) I know I was miserable for 2 weeks beforehand (and clueless!) but it was so worth it for the short labour :) Hoping for something similar this time round.
    Sorry, I missed this message somehow!
    Some of the contractions are kind of sore (like you not sore enough to be thinking about going to the clinic or anything), some I don't feel anything except a tightening of my belly, and I've had 3 over the last two weeks that were pretty sore (sore enough that I noted the time!).
    I hope these practice contractions make the labour quicker! I had none with my first, and he had to be kicked out!

I have been waking up in the middle of the night for the last 6 weeks, I think I've only slept through once in that time. I've had issues with headaches in the third trimester and while those have subsided my ears really hurt when I'm trying to sleep on my side. I think it's to do with bloodflow anyone else experiencing that? So I may sleep for a couple of hours then I'm wide awake around 3am for an hour or so, then in the morning I'll wake and chat to my husband while he's getting ready for work but once he leaves I try to sleep on until maybe 9.30-10am.

Baby was so active yesterday and evening, and when I went to bed I thought I was having the beginnings of contractions as it felt like period paid but as I'm sitting here posting on boards you can guess I was getting my hopes up unnecessarily.

I'm planning on doing a spring clean this week to see if that'll get baby moving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Same. Was awake before 6 this morning. Gave up and got up by quarter past, followed by daughter at 8 and husband at 9.

Sorry, I missed this message somehow!
    Some of the contractions are kind of sore (like you not sore enough to be thinking about going to the clinic or anything), some I don't feel anything except a tightening of my belly, and I've had 3 over the last two weeks that were pretty sore (sore enough that I noted the time!).
    I hope these practice contractions make the labour quicker! I had none with my first, and he had to be kicked out!

Yes - today and yesterday mine have gone from a serious tightening of my belly to a few downright sore ones down around the bottom of the bump. Here's hoping it's soon, the pressure has notched up a lot and I'm never quite sure whether I'm actually in labour or not!!! Hope it's quick too and this is all the prepatory work!!!

Hollymartins, I had a couple of weeks of on/off period pain before no. 1, so maybe your body is beginning to kick into gear and get ready :) Totally confused me because I knew they weren't contractions but still clearly something was happening. When it really started though - I knew!

Four days of on-off contractions later and I honestly believe this baby will never come!!!I can't actually believe that I will go into labour at some point. Worse - I amn't even at 40 weeks yet!
    Anyone else feeling the same?!!!

38+3 here and nothing beyond a few Braxton-Hicks and pressure low down... labour seems a very long way off!

I feel like it's getting closer, this afternoon I had a few sore-ish contractions, my back is sore and I'm tired.
    Could be kidding myself though!
    I have a monitoring with the midwife tomorrow, I'll see what she says.

Ivy, sounds similar.Have moved from Braxton Hicks to sore contractions and back is achey on and off.But it's so irregular....
    Hospital said they expected me to go before my next appointment (next week ).I think they got my hopes up!!Rainbow that's pretty much how I feel, also at 38+3 now.

• Advertisement

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    Ivy, sounds similar.Have moved from Braxton Hicks to sore contractions and back is achey on and off.But it's so irregular....
    Hospital said they expected me to go before my next appointment (next week ).I think they got my hopes up!!Rainbow that's pretty much how I feel, also at 38+3 now.
    Oh I'm trying not to get my hopes up, last time, I had a "show" 3 weeks before my son was due, the gyny said he thought he'd be out by the end of the week, and I ended up getting induced.

Advertisement