Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending large attachments using 3G

Options
  • 10-07-2015 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question. My uncle had photos on his phone that I wanted. On Tuesday I used his phone to email them to myself. I wasn't sure if it'd cost a lot to send large attachments from the mobile so I connected the phone to our home broadband. The phone connected fine and I sent 3 emails, 2 of which had the maximum attachment amount on them. For some reason the emails didn't arrive. One of the emails has arrived this morning. I'm not sure how that's happened as he wouldn't of sent them because I got the photos off his phone yesterday using a cable. I'm just worried now that his bill might be charged a lot because his phone would have been using 3G this morning. Is it expensive to send large attachments using 3G?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question. My uncle had photos on his phone that I wanted. On Tuesday I used his phone to email them to myself. I wasn't sure if it'd cost a lot to send large attachments from the mobile so I connected the phone to our home broadband. The phone connected fine and I sent 3 emails, 2 of which had the maximum attachment amount on them. For some reason the emails didn't arrive. One of the emails has arrived this morning. I'm not sure how that's happened as he wouldn't of sent them because I got the photos off his phone yesterday using a cable. I'm just worried now that his bill might be charged a lot because his phone would have been using 3G this morning. Is it expensive to send large attachments using 3G?

All depends on the size and what plan he is on. Does he have a data allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

All depends on the size and what plan he is on. Does he have a data allowance?

He has a data allowance but it's probably not a big one because he doesn't use the internet apart from snap chat. 2 of the emails were 250mb and 1 would have been close to that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Whiplashy wrote: »
    He has a data allowance but it's probably not a big one because he doesn't use the internet apart from snap chat. 2 of the emails were 250mb and 1 would have been close to that as well.

Well then it could cost him a lot. Check the website of his provider for out of bundle data costs. If he did exceed his allowance its not going to be cheap. Best to ask him what plan is he on and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Well then it could cost him a lot. Check the website of his provider for out of bundle data costs. If he did exceed his allowance its not going to be cheap. Best to ask him what plan is he on and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

As above on the cost on sending 3G but you said mails were sent using home broadband so no cost while sending on broadband.

If the messages are big might not deliver, most providers like hotmail, gmail, etc they have a maximum size email/attachement. Here a link I found on sizes.

Best could be for him to upload to Dropbox or similar while using boardband (NOT 3g) share the folder after so you can se them and save them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If his email is setup using SMTP through his mobile provider they cant send while on a wifi connection (unless its from the same company).

Also 250Mb is too big to be using email. Most commonly 25Mb is the limit.

Advertisement