Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

MOR316 wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy was first choice to play Christopher Nolan's Batman and, from the screenplays, he looked and acted like a damn good Batman.

He's as skinny and as pale as they come so, no issue whatsoever

I watched the released screen tests and his Batman was interesting, but his Bruce didn't resonate with me. Nothing to do with physique of course just giving my 2 cents. :P

Bale doesn't get enough respect for how he managed that duality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I watched the released screen tests and his Batman was interesting, but his Bruce didn't resonate with me. Nothing to do with physique of course just giving my 2 cents. :P

Bale doesn't get enough respect for how he managed that duality.

I've always thought the idea of getting different actors to play Bruce and Batman would be interesting, completely impossible to pull off I know but still fun. To me Keaton is Bruce and Bale is Batman, I think there was too much backstory and moody teenager to differentiate between Batman and adult Bruce, they did try to get it across with the ballerina/buying hotel/panic room bits but they undid it by having him appear at Harvey's press conference and with him taking back control of Wayne Industries.

I thought Affleck and Cavill got the dynamic of Bats/Supes from the justice league cartoon spot on, the throw away line at the end of "I bought the bank" was great, I'd liked to have seen an Affleck Batman but it would have needed to have been a Killing Joke era Batman rather than an origin story

Clareman wrote: »
    I've always thought the idea of getting different actors to play Bruce and Batman would be interesting, completely impossible to pull off I know but still fun. To me Keaton is Bruce and Bale is Batman, I think there was too much backstory and moody teenager to differentiate between Batman and adult Bruce, they did try to get it across with the ballerina/buying hotel/panic room bits but they undid it by having him appear at Harvey's press conference and with him taking back control of Wayne Industries.

I thought Affleck and Cavill got the dynamic of Bats/Supes from the justice league cartoon spot on, the throw away line at the end of "I bought the bank" was great, I'd liked to have seen an Affleck Batman but it would have needed to have been a Killing Joke era Batman rather than an origin story

I'm iffy on Batffleck but the trailer for the Snyder Cut gives me hope. As you say it reminds me of how Bruce was in the cartoon Justice League War where he's essentially a weary but likeable leader of the JL.

I didn't like how much of a meathead he was in BvS but I understand that was a choice made by Snyder that he would have built upon in sequels

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully there are still cinemas around in 2022 for this to be shown in them.

180573.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

WB announced that they would be simultaneously releasing films on HBO Max and in cinemas next year (as they are doing with WW84 this xmas).

I know HBO Max isnt available here yet but its an interesting move for them.

• Advertisement

I think the international rights to the Snyder Cut were sold to Amazon so I'm sure WB will be doing similar with their 2021 slate.

Not a bad way to recoup by taking a lump sum from international providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,812 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Leaked images of Dano as the Riddler are doing the rounds. Very much leaving the campy question mark suit with cane behind!

https://twitter.com/Uber_Kryptonian/status/1394808457832841216?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Leaked images of Dano as the Riddler are doing the rounds. Very much leaving the campy question mark suit with cane behind!

https://twitter.com/Uber_Kryptonian/status/1394808457832841216?s=20

022b96bc0d9f0fa1ec9f052bf09fc87f.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it sure is a look. I had wondered if that chap we saw in the trailer was Riddler or not; guess so. Brave and the Bold, this ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Looks a bit like the Riddler from the Arkham Knight game

MJohnston wrote: »
    Looks a bit like the Riddler from the Arkham Knight game

What game did you play?

What game did you play?

This one:
    167-1677682_evil-doer-riddler-arkham-knight-png.png

It's obviously Zodiac Killer influenced big time though

The look and vibe reminds me of his depiction in the Hush animated adaptation with an added angle of "this guy may have a point" (can't remember if it's line with the GN itself).

I trust Dano anyway to do something memorable but I hope to see plenty of his face. With the expressions he can pull it'd be a travesty to have that largely lost under a mask.

MJohnston wrote: »
    This one:
    167-1677682_evil-doer-riddler-arkham-knight-png.png

It's obviously Zodiac Killer influenced big time though

Yeah sorry, mate...This Riddler looks nothing like the ones in The Arkham Series.

Not sure what to make of it tbh...

Yeah sorry, mate...This Riddler looks nothing like the ones in The Arkham Series.

Not sure what to make of it tbh...

Okay…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »

Looks like someone going trick or treating in a Ford Capri

E1taWOjWEAMbMpH?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The more I see of this, the more my opinion see-saws wildly all over the place. It looks like it's going to be played absolutely razor-straight with a distinct Seven / Zodiac serial-killer vibe, while Batman himself came off positively psychotic in the trailer. These are not terrible ideas - quite the opposite TBH if the film gives us a too-rare glimpse of Batman the World's Greatest Detective - I'm just not sure I have the appetite for yet another grim, glowering Batman right this second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

pixelburp wrote: »
    The more I see of this, the more my opinion see-saws wildly all over the place. It looks like it's going to be played absolutely razor-straight with a distinct Seven / Zodiac serial-killer vibe, while Batman himself came off positively psychotic in the trailer. These are not terrible ideas - quite the opposite TBH if the film gives us a too-rare glimpse of Batman the World's Greatest Detective - I'm just not sure I have the appetite for yet another grim, glowering Batman right this second.

We will always have
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hoping we get a new trailer soon, maybe at DC's FanDome in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

3 hours. Ye gods. I watched Shadow in the Cloud the other day and it was 80 minutes - more like 70 without the credits. You could watch it twice over and still be in time for Batman's climactic end! Hopefully this will be a purposeful 3 hours, and not a bunch of mandated, pointless chase scenes for the trailers and 4 quadrant pitch.

The tweet has done nothing for my utter indecisiveness as to whether I'm excited for this or not. Plenty of films have tried to be Seven, most failed; and that was without the executive level pressuring the creative process. Man I've not been this conflicted over a superhero film in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,812 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks and sounds brilliant to me. Trying to keep my hype in check and 3 hours sounds a bit much but man, can't wait for this to come out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Presumedly still in fairly rough form. If so they could get that down to 2hrs 30 or less without cutting a single scene or line of dialogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find it impossible to take early social media impressions of any film seriously these days - that extends to many critics tbh, not just anonymous test screening accounts. There’s just so much uncontrolled hyperbole from people who get to see a film early.

It's the one aspect of film criticism where accusations of bias, or being bought off, are most valid. Be it the online bloggers just excited to be included, journos accepting junkets from marketing, with many otherwise inclined/pressured to gush praise as an attempt to win future invites.

Sometimes the praise matches the final product, to be fair - The Suicide Squad earned the plaudits IMO - but it's always worth assuming the wildest praise is not entirely authentic or sincere. Especially when they like name-dropping other, iconic, films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IMO there’s different versions of it. With superhero films and various blockbusters, there’s a parade of bloggers and writers for various clickbait / fan sites who get invited to see it early with the expectation they’ll deliver gushing early tweets. They always deliver, and then the praise usually cools significantly (if not outright turns to pans) when more established reviewers get to see it.

The more established critics, meanwhile, tend to show off their hyperbolic side when it comes to film festivals :) I have a bit more sympathy here as a big film festival is a crazy, exhausting time especially when you’re trying to churn out reviews to hit embargoes… but there’s always a plethora of raves from festivals that don’t always translate to the timeless, widely-acclaimed classics the very early reviews sometimes make them out to be. Some do of course (it’s the nature of the beast when most major world cinema productions premiere in that format), but yeah festival reactions should be taken with at least a grain of salt. Sundance tends to be the ultimate example of when audience / critical response at the festival doesn’t necessarily translate to actual hits or critical darlings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement