Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really really enjoyable until the flooding, like the water then it all went down hill .

There was no need for it and it felt to forced and out of context with the rest of the movie,

Although the problem was once Dano caught/found he posed little or no threat to anyone let alone Batman so i suppose they needed to do something ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's fair to say that while opinions vary on the story, the aesthetics of the film have been widely celebrated. This YouTube essay goes into a little bit of detail about how and why the Sound Design of the thing worked so well;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

On the contrary, that's the best scene in the movie...and they cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭jo187

I didn't think much of barry scene in the film. Now the dialogue was terrible with the riddler and him and seemed poorly shot. Not a great introduction to the character in this universe.

I think Barry will sadly try to do what Heath did and it will come off a poor man's version of it.

I started to watch the cut scene when it came on YouTube but honestly felt like a fan film trying to do the dark knight integration scene, I turn it off after a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The main issue that'll need "solving", is you can't film the whole thing out of focus (as was the cur scene) so eventually you'll need to show Keoghan properly. And he looks like such a monster I'm not sure how he'd exist in the streets without being immediately noticed.

I dunno. I thought he made a decent fist of it. How it would translate into a whole character for a whole movie is another matter entirely though. It looked off at first, but by the end I was perfectly fine with it.

TBH though, I thought the entire film was merely just ok. So it wasn't like it was up against much opposition in that regard.

As opposed to any other iteration of the Joker? Only Joaquin Phoenix's version, sans makeup, wouldn't be drawing any stares really. Maybe Caesar Romero too. Besides, I don't think superhero villains walking down the road to local shop for milk and fags was ever a thing.

Half the guys Batman faces off against wouldn't be able to walk out the door without someone going "Jesus Christ! What's wrong with your face!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I haven’t seen it. whats a cur scene? I’m intrigued

I'd have to check Keoghan's Joker again but he looked especially monstrous and over-designed. All patchy hair and scars everywhere; too edgelord - albeit without the contrived nonsense of Jared Leto and his "damaged" tattoos. I'm not suggesting Batman villains should look mundane enough to pass unnoticed in a crowd, but I think this design pushed it too far, with the knowledge the cinematography would intentionally obscure it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

He looked like a mental patient who's been pulling his hair out and scarring himself up. Or maybe they're looking into the "he fell into chemicals" origin story.

It might be an effect too far, granted, but it's not anything we haven't seen before in terms of how he'd be able to walk down the road and not draw attention to himself. Nicholson's or Ledger's Joker wouldn't be able to do that either.

In any case, I don't think it really matters that much in a comic book movie. I know that they were trying to go all 'Se7en' with this, and make it kinda grounded in a certain reality a la Nolan, but it's still a load of old comic book baloney at the end of the day.

It could have been worse. They could have gone down this route...

^

Joker going down the local for a pint. Nothing to see here.

That joker looks great! Real nightmare fuel right there and I would love if the next Batman film tried to take a leap of faith that there are more versions out there than Being Batman Is Very Serious. Say what you will about Schumacher and Burton, their worlds were distinct, arresting visual places. That picture looks like it's taken from one of the more abstract Batman comics, but damned if I can remember a name of one.

Keoghan just felt too try hard, what little we saw and don't see how you'd fit a whole movie out of it. We'll see of course, not like Heath Ledger isn't the cautionary tale against preemptive criticism.

It's from Arkham Asylum A Serious House on Serious Earth.

It's got some crazy artwork in it

It was this comic that the cutscene from 'The Batman' actually reminded me of, even though Joker looks quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Watched it earlier this week and I have to say I liked it (better than I expected).

So first of all, the trailers (and marketing direction) look so off from the actual film now that I have seen it 😂. Like come on most of the scenes and characters actually come across as calm/chill (just natural in their characters) rather than the edgy/angst/chaotic vibe that I have seen from all those promotions a couple of months ago. I mean yes I get it, this is Batman in his early years 'immature' inexperienced maybe even abit 'revolting' but that should not be seen as the main point of the product at all. Those promotions actually put me off to watch it in cinema ha.

The actual film actually has so much effort from the team to craft so much details into the world building (literally every objects in this film and streets, interior/outside of buildings) and the characters actually felt 'real'. And thats the main thing i like about this Matt Reevees' Batman, this felt even more real than Nolan's Batman - Nolan's technically are in the 'superhero' territory (which are still my best Batman films), but this time around we get a DC batman being actual detective in Gotham. I think this is the right direction they are heading - go for the 'realness' rather than 'just another superhero film'.

So ya definitely some Seven influence and several other crime thrillers from last decades - all in all this is a Batman that I'd say most Batman fans would enjoy (I should have seen it in cinema). My verdict: a worthy Batman film, yes.

I thought the Joker in the end was Jimmy Carrey's Riddler aha, now that would be awesome ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I watched half of the film last night, 1.5 hours, 1.5 hours to go. I didn't know in advance it was so long, had to go to bed.

So far I find it a bit boring, very slow moving. I like the mood and look of it, but the problem is the plot just isn't engaging.

I find it a bit too like Nolan's Dark Knight, rather than there's anything original about it. I feel like I'm watching the same movie again just done a different way. Perhaps Batman has been done to death, so what you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

How does Barry Keoghan get work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,938 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Such a bizarre video. It's like a trailer for student production of A Clockwork Orange. I'm surprised they released that into the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Really don't get the Barry Keoghan thing at all.

This audition just looks like an amateur Clockwork Orange impersonation.

How he thought that would land him The Riddler is one thing.

How they thought that would make him a compelling Joker is another.

(and I didn't think a whole lot about his deleted scene from The Batman)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When I watched this movie at home on Monday evening; later on in the film it started pouring rain on the windowsill outside the sitting room. When the movie was going through the part about the floods of Gotham City. The date of those floods referred by Battinson in the movie was the 6th of November. And I was watching it on the 7th November. Coincidence? Maybe.

All things aside. I absolutely loved The Batman. I thought this was a great movie with a lot of great intrigue and suspense to build up the hype. It was tremendous.

I thought Battinson played the role of Batman really well. He was fantastic as the caped crusader. Paul Dano's version of The Riddler was out of this world. He was as intimidating as you have expected throughout the whole movie. The way in which he put his victims through those forms of torture was creepy as hell.

I want to share something here about what DC are doing as a nice bonus to build up further interest in this movie.

They have a concert tour coming up for the fans of this movie.

Sadly; there is not going to be a concert in Dublin. But if you're in Europe. Venues in London, Paris, Zurich, Berlin and Dusseldorf maybe your best bet to get tickets.

Website to book them is below.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,218 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree it was far too long

It needed more Penguin imho

The cast did well especially Robert as Batman

So Riddler was a twin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So Riddler was a twin

Hold up... what? I think I missed where that was.

Of the Joker?

Or.. maybe it was earlier in the film and I've just forgotten or didn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just had to rewatch that camera test again. Giacchinos score just so right!

Advertisement