Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Disk usage. Windows update related. Keep hitting a wall

Options
  • 10-07-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Alright. I'm having a little trouble with my dad's Lenovo Flex 2 14" computer.

In the last day or so he's been experiencing constant slowdowns where it takes an age to anything on it.
    After looking into it there seems to be a problem with the Windows Update module where it constantly tries to write to a file called DataStore.edb in the Software Distribution folder.

I've disabled the WinUpdate service in the services.exe and it makes the computer perform as it should. Nice an responsive.

How do i get around this problem since whenever I try and delete the files/folders in the software distribution folder the restart the Windows Update service and check for updates, the computer comes to a crippling halt again.

The file is about 102,000KB in size which isn't TOO big i think.

After I get it to check for windows updates I've noticed that there is an optional update for the Windows Update service which fixes some problems with it. I thought maybe installing this could possibly remedy my problem.

I can't install it via windows update since my computer just stops in it's tracks when i try and i can manually download and install it since I need to have the windows update service running to install it which instantly comes to a crawl when I try.

Anyone got any solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not sure what version of Windows you're using, but they have a Windows update troubleshooter on the website which might be of use:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Sorry, yeah, it's Windows 8.1. But by searching online it seems to be a problem for both win7 and 8.

So I tried to do a system restore to the closest date to before the problem started. In attempting to do that it threw up an error on reboot that said that the registry coping over wasn't complete. So I went even further back to about 3 weeks ago and the restore performed perfectly.

It no longer seems to be a problem anymore but I am going back to install all the updates that were uninstalled as a result of the restore. Hoping the problem doesn't arise again.

That windows update troubleshooter didn't do anything to solve the issue before i did the restore. It said it found anf ixed errors with windows update as well as the BITS service. Same thing happened once i restarted windows update after doing that.

All seem to be well though now...for how long, I have no idea.

Sorry, yeah, it's Windows 8.1. But by searching online it seems to be a problem for both win7 and 8.

So I tried to do a system restore to the closest date to before the problem started. In attempting to do that it threw up an error on reboot that said that the registry coping over wasn't complete. So I went even further back to about 3 weeks ago and the restore performed perfectly.

It no longer seems to be a problem anymore but I am going back to install all the updates that were uninstalled as a result of the restore. Hoping the problem doesn't arise again.

Yeah that was going to be my next suggestion, glad you got it sorted!

Tip for you - when installing the updates again, make sure any third party antivirus software is disabled while the updates are downloading and installing. Have had some issues with antivirus blocking Windows updates in the past.

I've never had to disable it before but I might have a bit of trouble getting my dad to do that every time there are updates. I might be better off disabling the auto install of the updates and leave it manual. Probably easier to do that and install them when I'm here. I do come home from the UK every couple of months or so. I don't want him to be afraid of it happening again.

• Advertisement

I've never had to disable it before but I might have a bit of trouble getting my dad to do that every time there are updates. I might be better off disabling the auto install of the updates and leave it manual. Probably easier to do that and install them when I'm here. I do come home from the UK every couple of months or so. I don't want him to be afraid of it happening again.

Ah, for one or two updates here and there, it should be fine to leave the antivirus enabled. I just meant if you're downloading a large block of updates, or updates you've had issues with before.

Advertisement