Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a doctor refuse a Medical Card?

Options
  • 10-07-2015 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I didn't know where to put this so if I'm in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it.

Is it normal for a doctor to refuse a medical card?
    My doctor has moved surgeries and has set up her own practice. I went to that surgery to find about about switching to her practice, only to be told she doesn't accept medical cards.
    Is this a thing? I wasn't aware doctors could refuse to accept them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

fussyonion wrote: »
    I didn't know where to put this so if I'm in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it.

Is it normal for a doctor to refuse a medical card?
    My doctor has moved surgeries and has set up her own practice. I went to that surgery to find about about switching to her practice, only to be told she doesn't accept medical cards.
    Is this a thing? I wasn't aware doctors could refuse to accept them?

Yes they absolutely can. Your Doctor has exited the HSE GP contract and gone fully private therefore she is not bound by the conditions of that contract to see med card patients. You are entitled to see another GP at your current clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

davo10 wrote: »
    Yes they absolutely can. Your Doctor has exited the HSE GP contract and gone fully private therefore she is not bound by the conditions of that contract to see med card patients. You are entitled to see another GP at your current clinic.

Grand, thanks for your reply. You learn something new every day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Did your old doctor bring your files from the old place to the new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

ken wrote: »
    Did your old doctor bring your files from the old place to the new place?

I don't know. She wasn't the main doctor of the practice I was with.
    Say the main doctor was called John Smith and it was his surgery; well he had two other doctors working there. Mine was one of those doctors.
    My medical card has the main doc's name on it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't know. She wasn't the main doctor of the practice I was with.
    Say the main doctor was called John Smith and it was his surgery; well he had two other doctors working there. Mine was one of those doctors.
    My medical card has the main doc's name on it, though.

Then your files are with the main doctor and that is where payment towards your medical card goes too. Even if the new doctor took medical cards you would have to apply to change your card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement