Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial van as day van

Options
  • 10-07-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Im only using my commercial van some of the time and thinking of using it as an occasional day van type thing over the summer bit of camping etc.

I don't want any hassle with insurance or customs etc....

its Just an empty van that is carpet lined, nothing in the back, no furniture no sink no heating etc and no bulk head.

Are there rules regarding day vans or use of commercials at weekends, anyone know where I can read up on this?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

baldric wrote: »
    Im only using my commercial van some of the time and thinking of using it as an occasional day van type thing over the summer bit of camping etc.

I don't want any hassle with insurance or customs etc....

its Just an empty van that is carpet lined, nothing in the back, no furniture no sink no heating etc and no bulk head.

Are there rules regarding day vans or use of commercials at weekends, anyone know where I can read up on this?

thanks

From a customs/revenue point or view it would have to be taxed privately for any SD&P use. If taxed privately lots of insurers won't cover it. The only way you can have windows in the back and carry passenger and keep it commercial is to convert to a crewcab and then you can only carry passengers related to your business. and at least 50% of the floor are in the back has to be dedicated to the carriage of goods. and the 'goods' are can't have windows. Lots of people just chance it but if stopped they are entitled to take your van off you and if in an accident your insurance could not cover your damage / injury / costs and file against you to recoup their third party costs.

Is a boarded window still a window?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

cheers, id have no intention of carrying anyone in the back of it, so that should be ok. anyway was just a thought, seems like a lot of hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Is a boarded window still a window?

Supposed to be boarded in such a way that it can''t be easily removed. I suppose once its signed off customs hardly going to check though i suppose.

Advertisement