Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal time

Options
  • 10-07-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for some advice.

We got a renewal notice from our letting agent signalling a rental increase of €75 for the coming year. I replied with evidence of 2 properties in the same estate being rented for €100 and €50 less than our current rent after being on the market for 6-7 weeks. They were initially advertised at higher rates but the price drops were recorded.
    Straight away the agent said the LL would keep the rent at the same level as the previous year.
    I've been pushing him to drop the rent to match the other 2 houses but he's outright refusing to do so.
    All of the houses are similar in size, layout and furnishings.
    Is there anything I can do besides the obvious move out?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You can dispute the rent with the PRTB. If you believe the market rate has dropped and you should be paying less this is the only way to enforce it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

You can dispute the rent with the PRTB. If you believe the market rate has dropped and you should be paying less this is the only way to enforce it.

Can they force a LL to reduce the rent? I understand stopping an increase but force a drop seems weird, if the tenant doesn't want to pay what he agreed he is free to leave he is not being forced to stay that way the LL can get another that will pay want he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I don't think the PRTB has the power to reduce rent. Can you provide a link to where it states they can?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

My understanding is if its the rent the tenant signed up for thats it

MouseTail wrote: »
    I don't think the PRTB has the power to reduce rent. Can you provide a link to where it states they can?

RTA2004. You can't set a rent above market rate following a rent review. The tenant can register a dispute with the PRTB as per any other dispute. The PRTB have the power to enforce the Act.

• Advertisement

RTA2004. You can't set a rent above market rate following a rent review. The tenant can register a dispute with the PRTB as per any other dispute. The PRTB have the power to enforce the Act.

Yeah he can't raise it but the ll can't be force to reduce the orginal rent amount

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

2 houses in the same area wouldn't exactly scream out as evidence that's the actual market rates.
    Consider rents have increased significantly across the country I personally think it would be hard to see the need for a reduction

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    Yeah he can't raise it but the ll can't be force to reduce the orginal rent amount

Rent reviews work both ways.

Rent reviews work both ways.

Yes but it would be up the LL to agree and work out with the tenant. The prtb can't force him to reduce and keep the tenant I hope.

Yes but it would be up the LL to agree and work out with the tenant. The prtb can't force him to reduce and keep the tenant I hope.

Why not? The landlord can only evict under certain conditions allowed in the Act during a part 4 tenancy.

What you're proposing is upward only rent reviews, which is not the intention of the Act.

• Advertisement

Why not? The landlord can only evict under certain conditions allowed in the Act during a part 4 tenancy.

What you're proposing is upward only rent reviews, which is not the intention of the Act.

Landord needs €900 rent to cover expenses, if the tenant agreed and has being paying that for a year they can negotiate downward, if the LL disagrees the tenant can continue the agreed or move and ask the next people for that amount.

The landlord is not evicting just asking for the orginal amount.

Landord needs €900 rent to cover expenses, if the tenant agreed and has being paying that for a year they can negotiate downward, if the LL disagrees the tenant can continue the agreed or move and ask the next people for that amount.

The landlord is not evicting just asking for the orginal amount.

That's not how rent reviews work. Nor is it how the PRTB view evictions.

That's not how rent reviews work. Nor is it how the PRTB view evictions.

Have you any case of the prtb forcing a reduction not a return over market value increase but a reduction of the original amount.

I don't they force a reduction.

Have you any case of the prtb forcing a reduction not a return over market value increase but a reduction of the original amount.

I don't they force a reduction.

I would trawl the cases to find an example but don't have the time over the next few days. The intent of the law is what's important here and unless it's specific to upward only reviews then it can force a reduction.

Rents were falling several years ago, so you might want to check the PRTB from back then for an example in the meantime.

Edit: it may also be that landlords know the market and don't end up in front of a PRTB tribunal for a rent decrease, and there are few if any published cases. They're more likely to accept the outcome of a mediator which I'm not sure is even published on the PRTB website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You are wrong, the PRTB cannot force a rent decrease.

MouseTail wrote: »
    You are wrong, the PRTB cannot force a rent decrease.

Can you show where that is explicitly stated. All I've seen is the PRTB's enforcement of the Act and the Act not allowing to charge above market rent following a rent review at any time.

Can you show where that is explicitly stated. All I've seen is the PRTB's enforcement of the Act and the Act not allowing to charge above market rent following a rent review at any time.

But it's not a rent review, they are paying what they agreed and have being paying for at least a year, if they want cheaper they can move they are not force to stay there.

But it's not a rent review, they are paying what they agreed and have being paying for at least a year, if they want cheaper they can move they are not force to stay there.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_increases.html

"If there is any dispute about the amount of rent being proposed, either side can refer the dispute to the PRTB. If you are claiming that the proposed rent is higher than the market rate, you should provide comparable evidence of rental rates for similar properties in the same area."

Note, the amount of rent, not the increase.

There's nothing in the legislation or any of the guidance that sets the floor at the initial agreed amount, only what the market rate is. You cannot read extra requirements into legislation. That's not how the law is enforced.

Advertisement