Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post- large envelope 'issues'

Options
  • 10-07-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Just launched my business - offering free shipping as my main competitor is too and it's all doable as they are small products which fit in a large envelope. However despite my envelopes being 25mm thick (which is the max dept allowed- although apparently over 5mm more is accepted) I'm having issues with the post office clerks. Last week one guy put it into the thing where they check the thickness and gave me a lecture on how it would have been refused if it was any thicker....eh thanks for that but it's not thicker. Today in another post office again she measured it and said as she had to push it through she wouldn't accept it. This package was actually thinner than last weeks!! Yes I'm right at the max allowance thickness but my understanding also is anything under 30mm is ok. If I used a padded jiffy envelope she wouldn't have even checked but the mailing bags seem to catch their attention more as they don't look like traditional envelopes. I'm doing a launch next week where my volumes will increase- I can't afford to argue everytime I go down. As the items are low value (and hopefully high volume) I can't afford to pay double for packet rate. My competitor sends their products using large envelope rates.

ANyone else have similar issues?

I'm thinking of just buying the stamps and posting them into a post box- although could they go to a sorting office where someone like these clerks decides not to deliver them?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Large envelope 25mm
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/downloads/2015/GuidetoPostalRates.pdf

If you are getting grief from clerks it is probably best to complain to An Post rather than Boards.ie.

No doubt people are chancing their arm with 40-50mm packets, but it is like the airline luggage you get a bag the right size and the checkin person should not be telling you that if you had a different bag that it would be too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You should contact the An Post business desk their number is 01 705 7600. Depending on the volume you expect to do they should be able to come up with a more economical plan for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

HOnestly I think he thought I was a kid as he went on and one about 'if it was marginally thicker....'. I'm right on the cusp but it fits through their machine and the girl today refused it.

Have left a VM with my account manager- at the time he woudln't offer discounts on standard post, only registered post but I'm going to try the business line again. My account manager can be slow to get back and I just thought I'd see if others were having similar issues- thanks

Advertisement