Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) Part 2

Options
  • 10-07-2015 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I recently posted a query regarding our Chinese Palm (at the time I thought it was a Tree Fern. Many thanks for the replies I received. The thread is here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95391723

We moved the plant to the rear of the house to get it out of the winds and also started to feed it with some general purpose feed (it also had a sprinkle of blood, fish and bone that we use on Bamboos.

As you can see from the photos it has gone further downhill. There appears to be no green growth on it at all

Is this now dead or can anyone suggest anything we can try? will cutting the dead fronds off help? I am even willing to try planting it in the ground.

We have owned this for years and took the effort to bring it back to Ireland with us and would like to save it if at all possible

C933829F-E737-43CC-9B23-68D8D15E8068_zpscobfgqyo.jpg

1E23AC33-3B80-4C60-9AF2-1567159B9B77_zpsy9azyx6g.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I also have a Trachycarpus Fortunei in a pot and it is doing fine, Have you been watering it? looks bone dry. They need to be kept moist but well drained.

I don't know if it is too late for yours but I would water it well but no feed (never feed a stressed plant) and see what it does. The pot you have it in is not helping with the water issue teracotta wicks away water, if it recovers I would re pot it into a glazed or plastic pot. Right now i would water and wait. I hope it comes back for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

I also have a Trachycarpus Fortunei in a pot and it is doing fine, Have you been watering it? looks bone dry. They need to be kept moist but well drained.

I don't know if it is too late for yours but I would water it well but no feed (never feed a stressed plant) and see what it does. The pot you have it in is not helping with the water issue teracotta wicks away water, if it recovers I would re pot it into a glazed or plastic pot. Right now i would water and wait. I hope it comes back for you.

Wot he said +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looks dead to me, not expensive to replace and readily available here.

Advertisement