Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade to do video conversion

Options
  • 10-07-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a PC setup that has worked nicely for me for the last 5 years, with a few small upgrades along the way. The trouble is that I am undergoing a project of converting old home videos into DVD and the PC is struggling with the load. I converted most of my videos into mpg files without hassle but as I convert these into DVD format the CPU cores are running at 90+ degrees, sometimes even up to 100 degrees which I suspect way too hot. My 12 year old son also complains that he cannot play the most basic of games without the computer beeping temperature warnings at him.

I am hoping that someone can recommend upgrades that I can make to my setup that will give it a bit more muscle without huge cost. I am limited to spending only about €200 tops, unfortunately, but am hoping I might be able to get a few quid selling on the bits I don't need anymore.

The current spec of my PC is as follows:
    4GB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Titanium Dual Channel, CL4
    Aerocool I-Curve+ Schwarz case, ATX
    Corsair VX550W 550 Watt PSU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU
    MSI P43 Neo-F, Intel P43, ATX motherboard
    Radeon HD 6450 1gig Graphics card
    Pinnacle 7010ix card that I haven't bothered to connect up yet (but hope to soon!)
    Various SATA II drives

I have the PC connected up to a 46" 1080P TV, which probably doesn't help the GPU but makes for great movies and Netflix. I suspect that I will have to replace the CPU, mobo and RAM, and hope I can re-use the rest.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am happy to purchase second hand on E-Bay or Adverts, if I can get a better deal. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you checked the CPU thermal paste? Could be dried out.

Everything can be carried bar the CPU, RAM and board as you've said, if new parts are needed an i3 and 4gb DDR3 will get you in under €200 with a new board.

As for the large TV, a 21" 1080p or 100" 1080p LCD TV will put the exact same strain on a card so that isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't considered the thermal paste. I will give that a go to see if it makes a difference, as it's a fairly easy and cheap fix if it works.

That aside, is the current spec up to the job, or should I start the process of upgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't know much about older CPUs so I'm not sure, someone will hopefully come along and help you out now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

bigtom71 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't considered the thermal paste. I will give that a go to see if it makes a difference, as it's a fairly easy and cheap fix if it works.

That aside, is the current spec up to the job, or should I start the process of upgrading?

De dusting, making sure you have good airflow, and repasting the CPU should help A LOT. Remember to use a small amount of paste in the middle, it'll be spread around evenly once you mount the cooler.

If you CPU is doing alright for the moment you should be OK. You might be able to overclock it a bit if you buy 10-15 degrees with the repasting job.

Advertisement