Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6s/7: News & Rumours

• 10-07-2015 1:26pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dont see any thread on this on search but seeing a lot on line.

Any thoughts

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Am I missing something. Is there no discussion on the next iPhone on this board? Is it some where else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The fanboyishness is calming down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

There's still a few weeks to go before the announcement and maybe there's less excitement as it's an S release so parts leaks are much the same as last year. It looks like they're going to quietly increase the shell strength to reduce the risk of bending. You can be sure that on release day there will be a flood of idiot trying to break it.

The general consensus is that it will look exactly the same, possibly a fraction thicker if it has force touch. Internally hopefully it has 2GB RAM. A recent screenshot of a benchmark showed 1GB but it could have been fake. Apart from that it should have the usual processor and camera updates.

I've got a 5s and I'm still 50/50 on whether I'll upgrade or try to get another year out of it. Battery life is becoming a problem so that might push me to buy.

I have an iPhone 6. Going to get either a 6 Plus or 6s Plus depending on what actually is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Meh, have the 6, don't know will I buy the 6s.

How much is the 6 selling for now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Meh, have the 6, don't know will I buy the 6s.

How much is the 6 selling for now?

I sold a brand new 16gb gold that was unlocked and still in the wrapper for €520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

guil wrote: »
    I sold a brand new 16gb gold that was unlocked and still in the wrapper for €520

I've a 6 64gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I have the 6 plus. Upgrade my iPhone's every year. I'm just not 100% whether I'll go for the 6s or the 6s plus. I think the battery life of the bigger model is too good to make me drop down but I do prefer the form factor of the 4.7".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I've a 6 64gb.

€550 seems to be the highest offers on used 64gb, that's on unlocked or sim free ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'm amazed at how small the 6 now seems, was intending to switch to the plus but now plan to upgrade to the 6plus s, or whatever it's called, by selling my phone on adverts and putting the rest on the cc and pay it off in three or four chunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

It's funny how perception of screen size changes. I helped someone the other day with a problem on their 4s and it looked tiny compared to my 5s.

I think the 4.7 inch screen of the 6/probably 6s is just about the right combination of viewing space and practicality. The plus size screen looks fantastic but I think it's just too big for my pockets and little girly hands.

Macrumors have tweeted this afternoon that the 1GB RAM benchmark circulating is most likely a fake from March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I'm due an upgrade in October which fits nicely with the 6s release. Definitely moving on from 16gb though.. My 5s is still fine so I might get some decent money for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Personally I haven't been in a position to buy new ever (only young tbf) and fortunate enough to be able to this year. Have a 4 at the moment, become very laggy, home button is mushy + unresponsive and no longer is supported by latest updates, thus now is the time to invest for a phone to last 3+ years instead of just a 5s and have to replace sooner.

Anyway, rumours. A concrete one I've seen and think has been overlooked is the force touch. If developers are given free reign to use it however they like, it could become a feature in a year or two we can't live without (Touch ID is similar although don't have it myself!)

Another interesting one is the likely upgrade from 6000 series aluminium (I think that's what it is called) to 7000 series which is more durable, ie won't crush/bend easily. Not really something that is an exciting rumour but it's nice to hear it could be more durable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't think I'd like Force Touch on the iPhone, doing it on the watch it's ok, but I generally dislike just poking at things. the iPhone is a huge accessibility device for so many people I'd hate to see developers get free reign with it and lock essential parts of UI behind a force touch.

Personally I haven't been in a position to buy new ever (only young tbf) and fortunate enough to be able to this year. Have a 4 at the moment, become very laggy, home button is mushy + unresponsive and no longer is supported by latest updates, thus now is the time to invest for a phone to last 3+ years instead of just a 5s and have to replace sooner.

Anyway, rumours. A concrete one I've seen and think has been overlooked is the force touch. If developers are given free reign to use it however they like, it could become a feature in a year or two we can't live without (Touch ID is similar although don't have it myself!)

Another interesting one is the likely upgrade from 6000 series aluminium (I think that's what it is called) to 7000 series which is more durable, ie won't crush/bend easily. Not really something that is an exciting rumour but it's nice to hear it could be more durable!

It must be exciting to be in your position. Going from a 4 to the 6s is a massive upgrade. I upgrade every year but the excitement isn't up there on the levels you will have :)

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It must be exciting to be in your position. Going from a 4 to the 6s is a massive upgrade. I upgrade every year but the excitement isn't up there on the levels you will have :)

I can imagine that the 4 is basically bricked at this stage. When I upgraded from a 4 to a 5s nearly 2 years ago it was ridiculously slow, almost unusable. A 6s will be a massive upgrade. ;)

colmulhall wrote: »
    I can imagine that the 4 is basically bricked at this stage. When I upgraded from a 4 to a 5s nearly 2 years ago it was ridiculously slow, almost unusable. A 6s will be a massive upgrade. ;)

Getting new apps is impossible. Double tapping the home button is basically impossible. In general very sluggish and quite frustrating.

But it's in great condition, screen never broken, sleep/wake + volume buttons perfect. Realistically if I stripped it back with a factory reset, put minimal music on it and limited the apps installed to maybe 5 I could get another year out of it haha! But even medium usage is difficult so upgrade needed.

I'm seriously excited, especially for the camera upgrade!!

Getting new apps is impossible. Double tapping the home button is basically impossible. In general very sluggish and quite frustrating.

But it's in great condition, screen never broken, sleep/wake + volume buttons perfect. Realistically if I stripped it back with a factory reset, put minimal music on it and limited the apps installed to maybe 5 I could get another year out of it haha! But even medium usage is difficult so upgrade needed.

I'm seriously excited, especially for the camera upgrade!!

The fact that the 4s is getting iOS 9, where most people expected 8 would be the end of the road, can only be very encouraging for you getting a 6s and hoping to get a long time out of it. 3rd gen iPhone using the 64bit processor as well and potentially 2GB ram, it could potentially be good for 5+ years.

The fact that the 4s is getting iOS 9, where most people expected 8 would be the end of the road, can only be very encouraging for you getting a 6s and hoping to get a long time out of it. 3rd gen iPhone using the 64bit processor as well and potentially 2GB ram, it could potentially be good for 5+ years.

That's the idea. I'm currently going into my 2nd year of college and I am putting my faith in the idea that I'll have the 6s when I graduate in 2019 (although being a massive tech head I wish I could upgrade every year!)

• Advertisement

That's the idea. I'm currently going into my 2nd year of college and I am putting my faith in the idea that I'll have the 6s when I graduate in 2019 (although being a massive tech head I wish I could upgrade every year!)

I'm like you. It's a struggle not to upgrade every year for me. Such an exciting time of year. Thankfully I get a decent discount off the phones which softens the blow a bit.

I'm like you. It's a struggle not to upgrade every year for me. Such an exciting time of year. Thankfully I get a decent discount off the phones which softens the blow a bit.

Yeah such an expensive interest haha. Oh very nice, I assume you work for yourself or perhaps know someone? Either way that's definitely a bonus.

Very frustrating that in recent years the bill pay option has become farcical. They simply add the full price of the phone to a crazy contract price and call it a discount.. 1500+ for a phone, no thanks. I only barely use texts, never really call and try limit my 3G so those plans mean sim free is only way (directly through Apple)

Yeah such an expensive interest haha. Oh very nice, I assume you work for yourself or perhaps know someone? Either way that's definitely a bonus.

Very frustrating that in recent years the bill pay option has become farcical. They simply add the full price of the phone to a crazy contract price and call it a discount.. 1500+ for a phone, no thanks. I only barely use texts, never really call and try limit my 3G so those plans mean sim free is only way (directly through Apple)

Yeah, nonsensical ties ins for up to 2 years on iPhones and you still have to fork out anything from 100 euros upwards for the handset. Anyone thinking of taking the plunge; take out a credit union loan and buy one sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I generally keep my phone in as new condition, scratch free etc and sell it on for 4-500 euro near the end of my contract. Pays for the new handset and a few bob in the pocket.

I generally keep my phone in as new condition, scratch free etc and sell it on for 4-500 euro near the end of my contract. Pays for the new handset and a few bob in the pocket.

Same here, hope to get over 500 for mine, then stick the rest onto the cc, I never use it and it's always in credit so I stick a fiver a week in it and by the time the new 6 is out I should have just about enough to buy one in Belfast when they're available...and then start all over again for next year!

I made the stupid decision to stop using a case on my 5s. The screen is fine but there are a few bumps and scratches on it which will hurt the selling price..

naasrd wrote: »
    Same here, hope to get over 500 for mine, then stick the rest onto the cc, I never use it and it's always in credit so I stick a fiver a week in it and by the time the new 6 is out I should have just about enough to buy one in Belfast when they're available...and then start all over again for next year!

I'd nearly go that route (or buy from Parcel Motel) but the exchange rate is a killer :(

I'd nearly go that route (or buy from Parcel Motel) but the exchange rate is a killer :(

It's gone nuts, I think just over two years ago the euro and sterling were nearly on parity!

naasrd wrote: »
    It's gone nuts, I think just over two years ago the euro and sterling were nearly on parity!

Yeah I remember getting my iPhone 5 and the Sterling rate was great. Sad days ahead! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Im in the market for an iPhone 6.... the wife is lookin for one so if anyone lookin to offload gimme a DM please

Advertisement