Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for After Effects (or laptop?)

Options
  • 10-07-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I use my current laptop (bought back in 2012) for rendering small graphic based videos in Adobe After effects. Here are the specs.

Since purchasing I upgraded it from 6GB RAM to 16GB. I also removed the 750GB HDD and replaced it with an SSD. This improved speed dramatically. However, editing in AE can still be gittery and a little slow. The battery on this laptop is shot to bits and the case has seen better days. The processor is also outdated at this stage. Realistically, there's no point pouring more money into it than what I already have.

So, I think I might just build a dedicated desktop PC. I was hoping you guys could help with out with the parts list:

1. What is your budget? [€1000 - willing to spend a bit more for future proof or good leaps in performance]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [After Effects - most videos less than 2 minutes long - mostly basic graphic]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No - I could use the SSD from my laptop]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [SSD]

5. Do you need a monitor? [I would like to buy maybe 2 HD monitors]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Mouse/Card Reader/Speakers] (No - I have a mouse, keyboard and gaming headphones)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [maybe]

8. How can you pay? [/Credit Card/Visa debit/ paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [within the next month]

Cheers!

- Dean

Comments

Advertisement