Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - River Nore - Thomastown to Inistoige

Options
  • 10-07-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not used to fishing river, only lake with drifts, so feel free to speak to me like a complete novice.

Looking for advise please. I have a fly only licence to fish for trout from Thomastown to Inistoige on the Nore.

I've been told to use bobble and fly.

Do I use droppers on the fly? 3 inch? 6 inch?

Any particular fly work well on this stretch? I usually use brown Peter on Sheelin.

Am I right in thinking I should look for deep slow moving water? Aim for water with over hanging trees?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

cojack101 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not used to fishing river, only lake with drifts, so feel free to speak to me like a complete novice.

Looking for advise please. I have a fly only licence to fish for trout from Thomastown to Inistoige on the Nore.

I've been told to use bobble and fly.

Do I use droppers on the fly? 3 inch? 6 inch?

Any particular fly work well on this stretch? I usually use brown Peter on Sheelin.

Am I right in thinking I should look for deep slow moving water? Aim for water with over hanging trees?

Thanks in advance!

Well bobble is where you have a clear float and have the fly to certain foot away from the bobble I thought it was only used for salmon and is very affective for salmon, as for flys on the nore I never fished it but let's say nymphs as hears ear or pheasents tail nymph are always good to try, dry fly I'd choose winkham fancy(choose a small size as its basically like a midge) daddy long legs specially around the end of summer like August July and September as they will be hatching around then, now sedges will be very affective, get gerrys gink to help them float, then wet flies stuff like bibios, green Peter will all work, aim for the fast type of water, but in the slower water there could be bigger Browns there, always target over hanging trees or below rocks or above them as trout like to hide behind rocks, you can use droppers for wet flies or nymphs I like to use a pheasent tail nymph on the bottom then a small size hear ear on the top dropper,,,

Tell us how you get on, GL

Advertisement