Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budget gpu 100e

Options
  • 10-07-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

wondering if anyone knows of any good deal for a praphics card under the 100e mark, preferably nvidia, preferably from ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MADFI5H wrote: »
    wondering if anyone knows of any good deal for a praphics card under the 100e mark, preferably nvidia, preferably from ireland

Maybe try get a second hand 750ti on adverts? Or stretch to 140 and you might get one new online? Are you looking to game with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MADFI5H

yea its for gaming sort of, its for my nephew im setting him up his 1st pc, and his mum is getting the gpu so its her budget also not to sure bout 2nd hand since its not for me

he has a ps4 already which he cud use for new release games so need to try and beat that for power he just wants to be able to play some pc only games, portal 2 was an example he gave me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like this is about as good as it gets, €112 delivered to you.

It's from Amazon but you won't get it for that price from an Irish store with delivery, and expect to pay about €170 in somewhere like PC World.

Of course you could just get a cheaper card like this either for €78 delivered, quite a bit slower though. Grand for Portal 2 though. It really just depends on what he plans playing in future.

nice find thx, i just ordered that 750, just 1 more quick question

the pc its going in pretty basic its more a base for him to start building with, it has a duel core cpu and 300w power supply, it only has 2 half gig ram sticks in it atm but i told him he shud try and get 1 stick of 4gig to leave room for a 2nd later if wanted

my question is the power supply, is 300 enough to run wats there for now including the 750?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

300w is loads. 1gb ram isn't worth pissing at to be honest, a 4gb stick is about €30

• Advertisement

also any recomendations for good deal on ram while im asking

First of all what machine is he using at the moment? If it's a dual core and came with 1GB of ram, it's most likely a very old machine....in which case the GTX750 may have been the totally wrong choice.

it is quite an old machine but i tested it with my own 2gb 660ti and it seemed to work fine in it, also i have told him that the ram would need upgrading, also he intends to upgrade it piece by piece like getting a cpu for christmass

is there other reasons why the 750 would be bad?

What socket is the motherboard?

the mb is a MCP61PM-HM (Nettle) cant link sorry
    it has an am2 socket the cpu in it atm i think is Athlon 64 X2

i know its a **** motherboard my intention here is just to help him get started with pcs the plan is for the case to be all thats lefrt of this pc eventually the gpu hes getting now is the important part, i figured getting something best suited to this mb would be money wasted

• Advertisement

the mb is a MCP61PM-HM (Nettle) cant link sorry
    it has an am2 socket the cpu in it atm i think is Athlon 64 X2

i know its a **** motherboard my intention here is just to help him get started with pcs the plan is for the case to be all thats lefrt of this pc eventually the gpu hes getting now is the important part, i figured getting something best suited to this mb would be money wasted

Thats a mb from a hp desktop mate aint it? I started off with an intel verion of them originally and i couldnt put a newer gpu in it from after 2012 i think it only supported gpu up to nvidia 6 series you may run intoproblems. I ended up just getting a new mobo.

It really depends on what model the processor is. Most new games won't run on an old X2 no matter what card you pair with it. If it's an X2 6000+ it would get through some games, if it's like an X2 4200+ then it's just far too slow.

Realistically the machine is only worth about €30...so you can see why adding a €110 graphics card isn't ideal.

yea the pc is worthless agreed i knew it wudnt be playing new games anytime soon and he has a ps4 for that, the budget isnt there atm for a full a pc so this is just a way to get started and he can browse net and play some old pc games

hopefully the gpu will be useable in the mobo il have to look into that mobo not workin on 7 series

yea the pc is worthless agreed i knew it wudnt be playing new games anytime soon and he has a ps4 for that, the budget isnt there atm for a full a pc so this is just a way to get started and he can browse net and play some old pc games

hopefully the gpu will be useable in the mobo il have to look into that mobo not workin on 7 series

Fingers crossed, the only thing ill say is that its a dangerous bug to catxh, i startes off with a cheapy desktop and ended up playing games maxed out ha its addictive.

yup same here but thankfully i think i caught the bug just in time, built my own 1st gaming rig just b4 ps4 came out

had intended to buy a ps4 but then when i realised my 660ti sli was basically 2x ps4(next gen my arse lol) i didnt

yup same here but thankfully i think i caught the bug just in time, built my own 1st gaming rig just b4 ps4 came out

had intended to buy a ps4 but then when i realised my 660ti sli was basically 2x ps4(next gen my arse lol) i didnt

I ended up selling my ps4 and built my rig for less then i got for the ps4. Delighted with it.

just realised that mobo only suports ddr2 ram, but id guess a couple 2gig sticks of ddr2 wud be quite cheap, problem is i cant find any except used on amazon, anyone know where i might get them?

just realised that mobo only suports ddr2 ram, but id guess a couple 2gig sticks of ddr2 wud be quite cheap, problem is i cant find any except used on amazon, anyone know where i might get them?

Try cex mate they will give u warranty too. I wouldnt go spendingnmore money on ram until i was sure the gpu will boot up in it.

thx yea good point, just need to make sure it can be got if not the mobo goes in the bin lol

thx yea good point, just need to make sure it can be got if not the mobo goes in the bin lol

The problem is that if or when you change the mobo your looking at getting mobo and ram and more then likely a cpu. Its how i ended up rebuilding mine only i was lucky i started off with a i5 cpu in my original desktop to begin with.

• Advertisement

Terror has had trouble with RAM from CEX.

DDR2 is expensive actually

It's not too bad if you have a local CEX that you can buy from and return them to if they don't work. Just never buy RAM from the online store. It's pretty much 50/50 whether it even works and it takes weeks to get a refund.

Check adverts, DDR2 can usually be had for 5 euro per 1Gb stick from a few sellers. Buy four sticks of that, €20 for 4GB isn't criminal.

And as stated if you change the motherboard then you automatically need a new processor and RAM also.

never filled 4 slots with ram b4, do they all have to be the same or can u have 1 pair of half gig and 1 pair of 1gig? 3 gigs wud do till the mobo cud be upgraded and i cud use the 1gig it has now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If he's got a ps4 then rigging out a ddr2 athlon machine piecemeal for gaming isn't a useful option. Open a small savings account and instead of spending 100 on a GPU today, and 40 on ddr2 team tomorrow, stick it in the savings account and build it up month by month. If you keep the old case, monitor etc then you can build a cheap new gaming PC for about 300-350, which is a much better option.

well its also about teaching him about this stuff as hes very tech minded and interested by it, if it doesnt work, we will figure something out and that will probly be half the fun :)

dont get me wrong yur advice is good but i dont think that way would please him as much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Plan for an ssd upgrade after the GPU and ram, so he can see where the real bottleneck in the average PC is! Even a 40 one which is only big enough for windows and a couple of small games will be a revelation!

Plan for an ssd upgrade after the GPU and ram, so he can see where the real bottleneck in the average PC is! Even a 40 one which is only big enough for windows and a couple of small games will be a revelation!

yup thats exactly wat i did in my own build and a revelation it was. the boot time when i first hit the power switch blew my mind :)

never filled 4 slots with ram b4, do they all have to be the same or can u have 1 pair of half gig and 1 pair of 1gig? 3 gigs wud do till the mobo cud be upgraded and i cud use the 1gig it has now

You still haven't said what model the processor is though. Like I said, if it's an old X2 like a 4200+, you might as well shove the GTX750 in your toaster for all it'll be worth!

And for the sake of a fiver you might as well get the 4GB, realistically for a GTX750 the computer spec should be at minimum of 4GB of ram and a 3.0Ghz+ Core 2/AMD X2 6000+ to be able to get any sort of value out of it. Even at that it would be mostly very under-utilized, and still totally incapable of playing a lot of games. And I think your processor is likely way, way slower than a 6000+.

It would be a much better option to just buy a semi-decent €30 euro 2nd hand graphics card like a GT640 for playing games (anything that runs on that computer will run perfectly on a GT640) and then save up for a new budget machine. Buying the GTX750 is honestly just a waste of money.

again this is sound advice and i was fully aware of this before i started, i explained this to my nephew and gave him the choice between a card like that and the 750 which the best his budget cud get take 1 guess which he chose

ufortuanatly the cpu is just a 4400+ but i have an article on bookmark of a guy overclocking this exact cpu and mobo to 3.1 ghz on the stock cooler so that gives me a reason to try my hand at overclocking which ive never done as ive never had good reason to

• Advertisement
Advertisement