Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain dns + google apps

Options
  • 10-07-2015 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

right. this is my setup.

domain with companyA.
    hosting with companyB.
    email through google apps.

on companyA i have my nameservers point to companyB hosting. great.
    on my hosting i have a website. great. on my hosting i also have the mail records set to point my email to google apps.
    on google apps i send and receive my email.

if i move my hosting from companyB to companyC, am i likely to have any downtime with my google mail? i would be setting up a new hosting account with companyC and would redirect my domain nameservers to there and change the dns records with them also.

i dont think i should have any mail downtime here, but im not really sure.

am i making sense? any advice would be great.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

user99 wrote: »
    right. this is my setup.

domain with companyA.
    hosting with companyB.
    email through google apps.

on companyA i have my nameservers point to companyB hosting. great.
    on my hosting i have a website. great. on my hosting i also have the mail records set to point my email to google apps.
    on google apps i send and receive my email.

if i move my hosting from companyB to companyC, am i likely to have any downtime with my google mail? i would be setting up a new hosting account with companyC and would redirect my domain nameservers to there and change the dns records with them also.

i dont think i should have any mail downtime here, but im not really sure.

am i making sense? any advice would be great.

thanks

I don't think there should be any problem with mail. Your MX records (registered with Company A) will still be pointing to Google.

Your website may be a bit unavailable during the transition, but mail, I don't think so. (I could be wrong :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Slightly confused! Are you moving your domainname hosting to company C too? I ask because you say "redirect my domain nameservers to there".

In any case, if you are, then you need to make sure that the nameservers at company C have your mail record (MX) listed before you terminate with company A - at least 24 hours beforehand. That ensures no mail downtime.

Advertisement