Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is UPdate.exe and how do I delete it?

Options
  • 10-07-2015 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

On logging on I always get a message/ad?From UPdate.exe. Cannot seem to find it on PC.Annoying.What is it and how do I delete it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Download and install Malwarebytes, adwcleaner and CCleaner, run the scans in that order and see if it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zmccomish

Thank Digital Solitude for your suggestion. Downloaded as requested, but no joy. Tried various other ideas to no avail. Going to now try clip on You Tube re same but speed of contributors is difficult. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

There's a program Process Explorer

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

In it's menu bar you'll see a small button that looks like a circular target. (It's to the right of the binoculars button)

If you drag that over the offending message box, process explorer will highlight the process that was used to launch the message box.

Then if you right click and look at properties, then it'll give the full path to that executable. It'll also try to tell you the name of the associated company.

Be careful about deleting before you know that it is.

There is also Autoruns

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

which searches through the various autostart possibilities for everything that starts on your PC.
    The vast majority are legit, so be careful about removing anything.
    Though this program allows you to disable, rather than just delete.

Advertisement