Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to reduce size of "granny flat"

Options
  • 10-07-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Need some advice for a family member. They have a detached building in their garden, block built, pitched tiled roof and fully finished inside. It is 5m wide x 8m long and needs to be reduced back to 5m x 5m. This means knocking back some wall, reworking the roof to suit the new size, and finishing the inside to suit the existing. The site is a back garden and access is through a side gate.

I would like to try and get an idea of how much this will cost. Is it possible to work off the info above or is more information needed?

Thanks folks, any questions the. Let me know

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi folks,

Need some advice for a family member. They have a detached building in their garden, block built, pitched tiled roof and fully finished inside. It is 5m wide x 8m long and needs to be reduced back to 5m x 5m. This means knocking back some wall, reworking the roof to suit the new size, and finishing the inside to suit the existing. The site is a back garden and access is through a side gate.

I would like to try and get an idea of how much this will cost. Is it possible to work off the info above or is more information needed?

Thanks folks, any questions the. Let me know

Even if it is reduced to 5m X 5m it will still not be a granny flat. It will be a domestic shed which you are not allowed to sleep in.

Why not get retention for the structure? Cheaper than knocking half of it to the ground?

Or you could also add an extension to join it to the house and therefore possible to convert to a granny flat?

Advertisement