Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Guetta - is this what the dance generation of today must listen to?

• 11-07-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Just flicking thru the channels tonight and this Guetta DJ is on BBC TV playing at a concert in Scotland. Place is absolutely packed out. Everybody having a great time, and this of course is the main thing. But in my opinion the tunes are rubbish. And this guy is meant to be one of the best. We had much better DJ's back in the Ninetys and early 2000s when I was going to gigs like that. Are the youth of today getting a raw deal if that's the best they can get?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

few mates of mine were at Luminosity beach festival near amsterdam, posted videos from it and what they went mad for were the commercial trance tunes from 15 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

few mates of mine were at Luminosity beach festival near amsterdam, posted videos from it and what they went mad for were the commercial trance tunes from 15 years ago

Yeah even those tunes are better than the muck I heard last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

He was at a festival in Hungary last week, was on after Motorhead....only 1 winner there,
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Saw Guetta at Oxigen a few years back. Might as well be sitting in the car listening to him on the stereo. Apart from all the lights it was underwhelming.
    Bring back Carl Cox! In my opinion, best DJ ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭bilston

1996-2002 was when dance music peaked, but then that might just be because that's when I went clubbing and to festivals and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Give me Robert Miles and Mauro Picotto over today's tripe anyday! I'm 23 and have never really been into any of that ****e.

Unfortunately not many clubs would play any of that. And yeah have a friend that goes the likes of Amsterdam just to go to clubs for the music and atmosphere.

Luke92 wrote: »
    Give me Robert Miles and Mauro Picotto over today's tripe anyday! I'm 23 and have never really been into any of that ****e.

Unfortunately not many clubs would play any of that. And yeah have a friend that goes the likes of Amsterdam just to go to clubs for the music and atmosphere.

To be honest I wouldn't have respected those 2 DJ's either back in the day...cheesy enough I always thought even though I never saw them play a gig. I agree with the Carl Cox comment above...he was deadly up until the early 2000s but then he became more mainstream and lost his soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The people who go to Guetta these days aren't stuck with him. It's their choice. However I would posit that 75% of them have no interest in dance music aft all. It's just a trend they are following. There's loads of decent DJs about, Pan Pot, Grum, and old stalwarts like Booka Shade etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

mordeith wrote: »
    The people who go to Guetta these days aren't stuck with him. It's their choice. However I would posit that 75% of them have no interest in dance music aft all. It's just a trend they are following. There's loads of decent DJs about, Pan Pot, Grum, and old stalwarts like Booka Shade etc.

What I find really depressing is the lack of knowledge among (especially American) "fans" is their complete ignorance of the rich history of dance music, from the underground gay clubs in the Warehouse to the Belleville 3 Detroit masters, acid house and its Balearic origins-there is a massive mine of beautiful music to dig into, instead it is lowest common denominator landfill muck, press play on a computer to sync with lights

Francois are you the same guy who used to play the UCD bar and the UFO in the mid to late ninetys?! If so then cheers for those memories! Proper tunes too!

• Advertisement

gebbel wrote: »
    Francois are you the same guy who used to play the UCD bar and the UFO in the mid to late ninetys?! If so then cheers for those memories! Proper tunes too!

It is indeed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

It's frustrating when people say to you "oh Franman - you like the dance, Avicci was in the Point last week, were you at it?". What do the people who like David Guetta think of people like Eric Prydz or Grum? Are these people not really into dance music or into music in general but just desperately need a big ridiculous vocal edit with a couple of drops to feel any affinity to the music? I remember being in secondary school ten years ago and some big enough artist was playing in the local disco, can't remember for the life of me who it is now. Anyway I was asking people in school were they off to it (I was too young to go) but the majority were off to the foam party in the rival nightclub across town. Outside of your David Guetta's and Dead Mouse the average punter hasn't a clue. If they like that "tuuuuuuunnnnneeeee" by David Guetta, Ben Howard or Fifth Harmony for a week they are happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Detest

At the end of the day they're only entertainers; if the crowd is happy who gives a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's just pop music with a 4/4 beat. No different to Cher or Madonna getting a electronic producer to add a few beats to one of their songs.

It always amazes me that people let it bother them so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Guetta has a slot on Marbella fm - I think on Friday nights (probably prerecorded), pretty boring to an otherwise alright station, on all day playing mostly deep house, not usually a big fan of house but they get it going - good to put on before heading out or indeed some places have it on at the beach over there.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's just pop music with a 4/4 beat. No different to Cher or Madonna getting a electronic producer to add a few beats to one of their songs.

It always amazes me that people let it bother them so much.

They think he's doing a disservice to djs the world over; cheapening their craft with his fancy button pressing and knob twiddling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Real dance music has always been underground stuff and it still is.

David Guetta and the likes are pop stars to me.

The kids don't want techno! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Real dance music has always been underground stuff and it still is.

David Guetta and the likes are pop stars to me.

The kids don't want techno! :-(

When I was younger most kids didn't give a fiddler's fart about techno either and 2Unlimited, Sash! and Whigfield dominated the charts. Plus ça change and all that palaver.

• Advertisement

I would consider 2unlimited and Sash todays equivalent of Guetta ect. Cheesy dance music!

Sash had one or two good tunes though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I would consider 2unlimited and Sash todays equivalent of Guetta ect. Cheesy dance music!

That's what I was getting at. People get misty eyed about nineties and early noughties dance music but there was just as much commercially orientated drivel back then as there is now and just as much quality underground music being made now as back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

They should be made attend a Jeff Mills gig

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Classic Tunes from Guetta here....

Yo Mamma wrote: »
    Classic Tunes from Guetta here....

words fail me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

you do realise that's edited right?

Ah no, I'd say he thinks that's exactly what he played ... sheesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Just flicking thru the channels tonight and this Guetta DJ is on BBC TV playing at a concert in Scotland. Place is absolutely packed out. Everybody having a great time, and this of course is the main thing. But in my opinion the tunes are rubbish. And this guy is meant to be one of the best. We had much better DJ's back in the Ninetys and early 2000s when I was going to gigs like that. Are the youth of today getting a raw deal if that's the best they can get?

He's sold his soul but in fairness, for the cash that he's commanding, who wouldn't? I wouldn't take a packed-out gig in Scotland too seriously: they were and still are very big into happy hardcore and gabbah.

I heard Judge Jules play "Bob the Builder" one night - I kid you not! I never liked him since he went trance (absolutely rocking house dj/producer) but I guess success goes to people's heads and they can play any ol' crap and think they are making art.

There are some seriously talented dj's and producers out there but they will never be mainstream successful. Is that good or bad?

He's sold his soul but in fairness, for the cash that he's commanding, who wouldn't? I wouldn't take a packed-out gig in Scotland too seriously: they were and still are very big into happy hardcore and gabbah.

Sold his soul? He never had a soul to begin with!

Tiesto, Armin, Cox, they're DJs that sold their soul..

I heard Judge Jules play "Bob the Builder" one night - I kid you not! I never liked him since he went trance (absolutely rocking house dj/producer) but I guess success goes to people's heads and they can play any ol' crap and think they are making art.

There are some seriously talented dj's and producers out there but they will never be mainstream successful. Is that good or bad?

I love 'gabbah'.

Real 'gabbah' just says **** you to everything.

Sash had one or two good tunes though..

• Advertisement

Can't seem to watch that video, can you just post a link instead?

ah, its just Encore une fois

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXxaS65XM_0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

See that's generally how it works.
    I was born in 1982 and love 90's dance music.
    I always listened also to nearly all varieties of electronic music mostly minimal techno, goa, acid, etc...
    But I remember my older friends, parents were just telling me it's sh1te...
    Well I know it's not - it's a great music and they just didn't know what they were saying.
    Now you and me are in the same position - we are telling younger generation that David Guetta is sh1te as obviously it is.
    But they don't agree, and they think it's great the same as we though Members of Mayday or Westbam or Mauro Picotto were great - which they obviously are ;)

I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

itll-happen-to-you.png

• Advertisement

No way, man! We are going to be rocking forever,

forever..

forever....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

that is hilarious, I'm laughing to myself here at my desk in work :D

He was good though at Electric Picnic a few years ago.

Advertisement