Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Slaney walking path

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Not as far as I know. There's bits of fishing paths here & there and places where you can access the river but joining them all up almost certainly crossing privately owned land etc. You used to be able to follow a good stretch of the river from a point below Kilcarry all the way into Bunclody but then a golf club was developed and disgracefully closed this off. They were supposed to implement alternative walks for the people of Bunclody who regularly used it but never have :(

The best way to see the Slaney remains by kayak, nice paddle from Aghade Bridge to Kilcarry and so on but shallow in summer low water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Aghade bridge is overgrown along the banks. +1 on the kayaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

What a pity as that part of Ireland looked stunning in the Abhainn programme.

There was an article in The Irish Times recently about an 11km walk along the Barrow from Ballyteigelea to St Mullin’s, Co Carlow, which got me looking at Carlow for the first time. It would be great if local people could do something similar for the Slaney.

(There's a class walk along the River Boyne from Navan to Slane which passes old mills, weirs and woods which draws loads of people to the area and could act as an inspiration.)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

No, there is no dedicated walking path on the Slaney, or at least this section of it. But now that you say it, there definitely should be, I doubt it is a huge undertaking to establish a walkway next to it. Three is already a 'trail' made by frequenting locals and fishermen on parts, but it gets overgrown every year. I have went kayaking along the Slaney also and I would definitely recommend it if you want to see this lovely river.

Advertisement