Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rally 2015

Options
  • 11-07-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

In case anyone has any car nut kids and has some free time they need occupied the scrutiny for the Sligo stages rally is on the Mall from 2:30 today, with the cars also being parked in Stephen St. car park from this morning, a few already about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Where exactly is the rally itself taking place? What time does it all start? Where would be the best place to view without a huge trek as I want to be reasonably close to my car if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Where exactly is the rally itself taking place? What time does it all start? Where would be the best place to view without a huge trek as I want to be reasonably close to my car if possible.

From the Connacht Motor Club website event preview
    The first cars will depart from the Sligo Retail Park at 9.45am on Sunday morning with the first
    stage of the event starting at 10.27am. The leading cars are expected back at the Sligo Park
    Hotel finish ramp at 5.15pm. More information can be found by
    visiting www.connachtmotorclub.com

As far as I know the stages are around the Glencar/North Leitrim area.
    Didn't get a rally program as I'm not going to it tomorrow, but they're using some of the stages used on the WRC event, I know you can view it from what's now locally known as 'Gronholm's corner' where he went off in the WRC event in 2007.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.2636889,-8.3502914,19z

Best bet is to pick up an event program from the Sligo Park, and a few other spots around town.

That looks a good spot, but I can imagine that entire area will be blocked to traffic. so Im looking for somewhere that I only have a short walk, if I even have to walk at all! I dont want to be there the entire day. I dont mind, but the other half would start moaning and I cant be bothered listening to that all day long!

That looks a good spot, but I can imagine that entire area will be blocked to traffic. so Im looking for somewhere that I only have a short walk, if I even have to walk at all! I dont want to be there the entire day. I dont mind, but the other half would start moaning and I cant be bothered listening to that all day long!

Sorry mate, can't help you, the program is only a fiver and your best bet for finding a spot, and there's plenty of places you'll get near the stages, but nearly always it'll involve a walk of at least 10 mins, unless you get in dead early.
    Pick up the program and have a look for a road that runs pretty close to the stage, then trace that route back to whichever way you're coming from.

On the stage I posted this might be a good bet, but be warned, I'm only guessing that the stage follows the R286 into town, you really need a program to see.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Sligo/54.2691294,-8.3668405/@54.2764256,-8.3946855,14z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x485ee9b5677caee9:0xa00c7a997317380!2m2!1d-8.4760888!2d54.2766103!3m4!1m2!1d-8.3722915!2d54.2835576!3s0x485eef2e794d44b3:0xb9c28117c5d70aa7!1m0!3e0

If I'm right Tiree, you're not too long in Sligo so I don't know how well you know it, but from attending rally's over the years here you will always find problems parking, if you know anyone with local knowledge who is looking to go try and tag along with them, they might know the best spots. Still, racing around first thing in the morning looking for a good spot is half the fun.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Sorry mate, can't help you, the program is only a fiver and your best bet for finding a spot, and there's plenty of places you'll get near the stages, but nearly always it'll involve a walk of at least 10 mins, unless you get in dead early.
    Pick up the program and have a look for a road that runs pretty close to the stage, then trace that route back to whichever way you're coming from.

On the stage I posted this might be a good bet, but be warned, I'm only guessing that the stage follows the R286 into town, you really need a program to see.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Sligo/54.2691294,-8.3668405/@54.2764256,-8.3946855,14z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x485ee9b5677caee9:0xa00c7a997317380!2m2!1d-8.4760888!2d54.2766103!3m4!1m2!1d-8.3722915!2d54.2835576!3s0x485eef2e794d44b3:0xb9c28117c5d70aa7!1m0!3e0

If I'm right Tiree, you're not too long in Sligo so I don't know how well you know it, but from attending rally's over the years here you will always find problems parking, if you know anyone with local knowledge who is looking to go try and tag along with them, they might know the best spots. Still, racing around first thing in the morning looking for a good spot is half the fun.

Im going to buy a program anyway as its good to support these things even in a small way. On the Connacht Motorsport site you linked they actually have a PDF of what looks to be the program, but it appears to only show the map of the town. It mentions which OS maps cover the area, but I was thinking it would have a map of the area with the route highlighted on it so I can scour Google maps and plan accordingly.

• Advertisement

Im going to buy a program anyway as its good to support these things even in a small way. On the Connacht Motorsport site you linked they actually have a PDF of what looks to be the program, but it appears to only show the map of the town. It mentions which OS maps cover the area, but I was thinking it would have a map of the area with the route highlighted on it so I can scour Google maps and plan accordingly.

Ahh, but then no-one would buy the programs ;)

Do you think if I head up to the retail park now they would have someone selling the programs?

Im going to have to go a little late tomorrow as I want to buy this. http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=484026

Do you think if I head up to the retail park now they would have someone selling the programs?

Im going to have to go a little late tomorrow as I want to buy this. http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=484026

Applegreen & McCormacks are selling them, so just swing by them on the way.

I have the program in my hands right now. I got it from Applegreen as I didnt actually know what McCormacks was until I drove past and realised it is the Vauxhall garage.

Would spectators typically find a place to watch and stay there the entire length of the rally, or would it be typical to spend some time looking at all 3 stages?

I have the program in my hands right now. I got it from Applegreen as I didnt actually know what McCormacks was until I drove past and realised it is the Vauxhall garage.

Would spectators typically find a place to watch and stay there the entire length of the rally, or would it be typical to spend some time looking at all 3 stages?

Normally, your best bet it to find two stages close to each other, and perhaps with a service in between to maximise the time getting from one to another.

Some rallies I've found a good spot and stayed there for the day, as they've been ran twice, some I've managed to hit 2 or even 3 different ones when timed right, seen the first 20-30 cars then headed for the next one, e.g. seen stage 1, headed to 3 while stage 2 was running, then 5 while 4 was running, but it's a lot of running about, depends how mad you're in to it.

I've marshalled too which means in one spot for the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement