Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake - South Dublin

Options
  • 11-07-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi,

Going to a family get together this afternoon, and looking to bring a nice cake, buns or something nice with me. Any recommendations for somewhere in South Dublin I could pick something up?? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Natural Bakery do amazing cakes and have branches on the south side of the city and county. You're more likely to get advice in the relevant regional forum though so I'll move this thread to Dublin County South.

Moved from Cakes & Bakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Natural Bakery do amazing cakes and have branches on the south side of the city and county. You're more likely to get advice in the relevant regional forum though so I'll move this thread to Dublin County South.

Moved from Cakes & Bakes.

I've got really bad cakes there before and wouldn't recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Supervalu Blackrock takes some beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Agree about NBC, not great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

ted1 wrote: »
    I've got really bad cakes there before and wouldn't recommend them.

Good to know. I must have just been lucky the time I had cakes from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Same here, was not impressed with NBC, too much icing and tasted quite synthetic

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

NBC too sickly and dry for my liking, and overpriced!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hey, thanks for the replies, picked up something in NBC, which worked out okay, but always good to know for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Too late now, but for future reference one of the nicest cakes I ever had was a chocolate ganache from donnybrook fair.

they do 3 sizes.

http://www.donnybrookfair.ie/catering/event-catering/cakes

Supervalu Blackrock takes some beating.

+1 to this.

In fact, any Supervalu that used to be a Superquinn generally has a pretty good bakery/cake section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thomas's in Foxrock do gorgeous 8" cakes that look and taste as if you'd made them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I haven't tried an NB cake.

I love going to a boulangerie in France and buying my various breads - which are handled & handed to me by the staff.

I thought that NB would give me the same experience - was completely turned off by seeing everyone handle the various breads while trying to decide.

I know the same happens in supermarket bakeries but I had high hopes for NB.

Advertisement