Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Able to Keep Social Welfare on?- Going back to college

Options
  • 11-07-2015 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys, hopefully someone may be able to shine some light on this

I have a degree (level 8) which I completed in June/July 2011 and have been working about half the time since then in the field in which I studied.

I am currently on Jobseekers allowance and recently applied for a 1 year further education course (level 5) in a different area from my degree which I have been accepted into This course will begin in September 2015.

Obviously oh won't be able to keep on my jobseekers allowance but was wondering if I would be able to keep it on under a different name or grant?

I am also a mature student (29) if that alters things at all

thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

not 100% but i think grants and back to ed allowance work on the the basis that you are moving upwards in terms of your course, ie. from lv.8 to lv.9.

also this might be better suited to state benifitscforum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bay

thanks for your help guys, ye i just read through that link and this came up:

In general, you will not get a grant for repeating a year or attending a course at a level that does not represent progression from what you have done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

bay wrote: »
    thanks for your help guys, ye i just read through that link and this came up:

In general, you will not get a grant for repeating a year or attending a course at a level that does not represent progression from what you have done before.

No harm asking though.....if it helps you to get a job at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Apply for BTEA anyway and if you are unsuccessful appeal it. I received it after 2 appeals. I went back to do a different level 8 to my original degree. Also a friend of mine was successful after taking the SU's advice and getting a local councillor to help her appeal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement