Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Families who came over during the twelfth

Options
  • 11-07-2015 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

A good few families in the north are able to claim ancestry going back to the Williamite Wars and the Battle of the Boyne.

I discovered recently I had an ancestor who fought alongside King Billy at the Boyne and was involved in the raiding party on King James's camp. The family had heirlooms from the battle up until the 1850s according to some articles I read.

Are there any books that go into land confiscations around this period in detail and the people who were given them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The Books of Survey and Distribution show land grants in the 1650s following the (Cromwellian) civil war. I am not aware of similar grants following the Battle of the Boyne. The latter being of shorter duration, was probably not enough to justify a grant of land. It is possible that veterans of the battle may have leased land in the normal way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The lands of the Wild Geese would have been available for redistribution though surely?

These lands were redistributed rather later, in the plantation of Ulster, from about 1607 onwards.

Sorry, above written in error.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You can just edit or delete it if you click on the 'edit' button, in the right bottom corner of the post window

• Advertisement
Advertisement