Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punishment for bad behaviour in cricket?

• 11-07-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster in this forum, although I've been a casual fan of the sport for a long time.

I just saw James Anderson get a warning for running on the wicket - one more warning allowed, and after that he would not be allowed to bowl again for the rest of the innings.

That is a fairly hefty penalty, but it got me thinking - other that that offence, what are the hefty punishments in cricket?

I mean, other sports have yellow or red cards, timeouts, boxing has points deducted (a significant penalty when a round is usually only won by a point), and so on.

For ball-tampering say, the penalty is only 5 runs, which might be fairly insignificant in the overall score of the game.

For stuff like extreme sledging, or the ugly jostling we sometimes see, are there penalties the umpires can impose during the game (as opposed to after a game finishes)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

I might be wrong here but I dont think umpires have the ability to send players off for anything. Re: sledging umpires tell the two involved to calm down and if its bad they'll report it after the game and the parties involved will receive a fine.

For cheating, like falsely claiming a catch you know you dropped, you can get a suspension e.g Ramdin in the champions trophy 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWlAOh2SSx8

he got a 2 match ban for that.

Then there are other incidents like Afridi infamously biting the ball which he got a ban for. That was classed as ball tampering I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the current system is ok but I would like to see umpires reprimand players for things like excessive/over zealous appealing and general disrespect toward the umpires. They need to stand up for themselves more.

Advertisement