Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firmware Request for M6 Dual Core

• 11-07-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭

As above, in trying to find a working firmware for this box as the WiFi won't turn on at all.

It's belong to a mate and although it's old I'm sure there is a recent firmware somewhere.

Tried a few spots but not had any joy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

dahat wrote: »
    As above, in trying to find a working firmware for this box as the WiFi won't turn on at all.

It's belong to a mate and although it's old I'm sure there is a recent firmware somewhere.

Tried a few spots but not had any joy.

Amlogic?

You might find something on Freaktab....

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players

That seems pretty old though!!

Any more info on it?

Look like this?

EN50852-4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Yep, that's the box.

The original problem it has is the WiFi won't turn on at all. I was hoping new firmware might help/solve the problem.

Yep, that's the box.

The original problem it has is the WiFi won't turn on at all. I was hoping new firmware might help/solve the problem.

Did it work on the existing F/W? The WiFi I mean?

When you go to Settings/WiFi, can you see your router's SSID listed?

Is it set up for DHCP, long press on the SSID listed, advanced options, not sure on how to do on a TV Box...or has it a static IP?

Has your router any IP restrictions or MAC filtering?

Is your encryption password/key set up OK. Usually WPA 2?

Can you connect using the LAN port?,

Either directly into router LAN port or using power line or Ethernet connection?

Is your Broadband/wifi OK for other devices, like Android, or Laptop or iPhone/pad?

It's just that new f/w may not solve a problem which occurred with the box wifi if it's a hw problem or something not set up correctly, either on the device or the router.

WiFi did work till very recently.

When you turn on the WiFi so it can see signals available the screen shows nothing.

WiFi works fine on 2 other devices plus the owner only has one device on his network

WiFi did work till very recently.

When you turn on the WiFi so it can see signals available the screen shows nothing.

WiFi works fine on 2 other devices plus the owner only has one device on his network

Is this box rooted?

If it is, use ES File Explorer, go to data\misc\wifi\wpa_supplicant.conf and rename that wpa_supplicant.conf to wpa_supplicant.bak.

You can get ES for free from Play store, but you will most likeky need to get the apk to transfer to the box, probably via SD card.

This is the official download site:

http://www.estrongs.com/?lang=en

Restart the box, I mean hard reboot, power cycle, and see your Wifi Toggle work again.

If that does not work, you might have a hardware problem, antenna disconnected internally, or something like that.

That's all I got.....good luck!!

• Advertisement

Thanks alot for the help, I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This might help.I had a similar problem on my MX box.Followed the instructions in the video and it's worked since.

zerks wrote: »
    This might help.I had a similar problem on my MX box.Followed the instructions in the video and it's worked since.

Heh heh...;)

the guy uses Root Explorer, I advised ES.....

because ES is free, and Root Explorer is a paid app if you get it from Play.

and I advised a backup of the existing "wpa_supplicant.conf" file to "wpa_supplicant.bak", which is a little bit safer TBH, as you will still have the original file....

Same thing though, basically.

It worked OK for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Heh heh...;)

the guy uses Root Explorer, I advised ES.....

because ES is free, and Root Explorer is a paid app if you get it from Play.

and I advised a backup of the existing "wpa_supplicant.conf" file to "wpa_supplicant.bak", which is a little bit safer TBH, as you will still have the original file....

Same thing though, basically.

It worked OK for you?

It worked,the wifi kept switching off and then wouldn't turn on at all.There's a couple of similar vids on youtube.I deleted the offending file and haven't had a problem since.

zerks wrote: »
    It worked,the wifi kept switching off and then wouldn't turn on at all.There's a couple of similar vids on youtube.I deleted the offending file and haven't had a problem since.

It gets corrupted, when you delete or rename it, it gets re-made.....

Good to know it works. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mobilephone235

It worked,the wifi kept switching off and then wouldn't turn on at all.

It won't leave me rename the file, task failed message.

Deleted the file but never rebuilt so left with no WiFi config file now.

It won't leave me rename the file, task failed message.

Deleted the file but never rebuilt so left with no WiFi config file now.

You sure you deleted this:

/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Not this:

/system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

I hope???

The path is important, as it will/should rebuild on power cycle, that's power fully off, even disconnect fully, then turn on.

Not being able to rename it also seems strange, as this is best practise, as I said above, you will have a backup to go back to if all else fails.

That file has all the info regarding SSID's and any Network ever connected to, as well as the encryption keys.

These will be lost in the procedure, allowing you to set up from scratch, without any corrupted entries.

If it does not come back, something else is wrong, and you might need to do a Factory Reset, which should restore you to the status it had initially.....

you would lose your downloaded apps and settings, perhaps stuff like XBMC, etc. just have whatever system apps the box had originally.

Using root access to the system area is not for the faint hearted....

If you deleted the other file, in /system, you will need to find one from a similar box, or from a backup, or a rom.

BTW, I think ES makes backups of deleted files, and has a Recycle Bin, if turned on, you may find your file there.

Yes I deleted wrong one, ****

Will look through the recylce bin to see if it is still there.

Yes I deleted wrong one, ****

Will look through the recylce bin to see if it is still there.

Hope it is enabled, not sure if it is by default.

Fingers crossed!!

Advertisement