Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum fence height when properties are on different levels

Options
  • 11-07-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I need to heighten part of my back wall which I know I can up to 2m. But the properties on the other side of this section of wall are about 50cm lower than mine. I need to heighten the wall for 2 reasons. One of my dogs, will easily hop over the wall at it's current height and the children from the two other houses are currently coming over the wall to cross my property to get to the garden of my neighbour on the other side. (Which he isn't especially pleased about either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

iguana wrote: »
    I need to heighten part of my back wall which I know I can up to 2m. But the properties on the other side of this section of wall are about 50cm lower than mine. I need to heighten the wall for 2 reasons. One of my dogs, will easily hop over the wall at it's current height and the children from the two other houses are currently coming over the wall to cross my property to get to the garden of my neighbour on the other side. (Which he isn't especially pleased about either.

Could you put a wire type fence pointing back in towards you property like they use for electric fence but 3 or 4 wires across.
    Or a wooden spike type fence on top of wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are aware that children are climbing it, the solution is to stop them doing so, not to make it higher, where any injury might be more severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I solved a wall climbing problem by putting some dogsh1t on the top of the wall, free and effective.

It's also a biohazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Victor wrote: »
    It's also a biohazard.
    OP; check Woodies and B&Q for anti-climb paint. Slippy, and not the easiest to get off your hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

None of this solves the OP's problem with his/her dogs.

OP, I'd afraid I don't know the law when the two properties are at different levels, but it does seem reasonable to me that it would be the height from your side that gets measured - otherwise you cannot keep your animals in.

Maybe try ringing the council and see if they know?

AFAIK, You can build a 1m boundary at the front and a 2m boundary at the rear without needing planning permission, unless some special issue applies, e.g. a listed building. You can ask a more detailed question here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=876

Separately, you do need an agreement with your neighbour when building / altering a boundary

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

None of this solves the OP's problem with his/her dogs.

OP, I'd afraid I don't know the law when the two properties are at different levels, but it does seem reasonable to me that it would be the height from your side that gets measured - otherwise you cannot keep your animals in.

Maybe try ringing the council and see if they know?
    Victor wrote: »
    AFAIK, You can build a 1m boundary at the front and a 2m boundary at the rear without needing planning permission, unless some special issue applies, e.g. a listed building. You can ask a more detailed question here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=876

Separately, you do need an agreement with your neighbour when building / altering a boundary

The 2m height exemption is ruled out here if the OP builds on the centre line as the height is measured from both sides of the wall from top to the ground immediately adjoining the wall.

So it would be 2m high on the OP's side, but 2.5m high on the OP's neighbours side = Planning Required and permission from the adjoining property owner.

now, if the OP stepped the wall slightly back into his garden so that the land on both sides of the wall/fence is 2m below the top of the wall/fence he will be ok.

*All info gained from an active Planning Enforcement Offcier in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

the_syco wrote: »
    OP; check Woodies and B&Q for anti-climb paint. Slippy, and not the easiest to get off your hands!

It's a borderline insurance issue, we had to put up warning signs about the paint we put on the walls of our development. The kids soon outsmart this by putting dirt on their hands or by putting a rag on the wall first. And it's expensive to boot. A very short term solution alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

kceire wrote: »
    The 2m height exemption is ruled out here if the OP builds on the centre line as the height is measured from both sides of the wall from top to the ground immediately adjoining the wall.

So it would be 2m high on the OP's side, but 2.5m high on the OP's neighbours side = Planning Required and permission from the adjoining property owner.

now, if the OP stepped the wall slightly back into his garden so that the land on both sides of the wall/fence is 2m below the top of the wall/fence he will be ok.

*All info gained from an active Planning Enforcement Offcier in Dublin.

Thanks. This is what I wanted to know and it makes sense. My plan is to build the wall up by another two rows of blocks if the other property owners agree, which will bring it up to about 1.3m on my side and then if I need it for the dogs, to put some sort of latticed fence on my side, so it won't look oppressively high from the neighbours side.

The former owners of my house never used the majority of the back garden and just fenced off a small area for their use, so the boundary wall or fence along the majority of the property is very low. We'll be putting a high fence on the side of our garden too and can go the full 2m on our side as the land on that side is slightly higher than ours. I'm hopeful that once we have made the whole garden secure for our dogs and removed the fence that divides that land from our current useable garden that the children will stop trying to come over as they won't be able to cross the land and it will be obvious that it's someone's garden rather than the wasteland it looks like now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement