Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming related thread!

Options
  • 11-07-2015 1:37pm

I have no idea how successful this would be, but thought it would be worth trying out a completely general gaming related conversation; for those things that don't really fit in with different threads or sections. I say gaming related, but off-topic talk would be equally as good.

So, would anyone be interested?

I'll start off by saying that last night I finally got Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW) to work again. I have no idea how much time I was in my early 20s playing RTCW online. Of course, the Master Server list was shut down a good while ago, so took some fixing to get one working. There were a load of servers, which I was surprised about. Joined one and saw a load of people I used to play with - played for a while, but slowly realized that there was only 2 people that were real, the others were all bots (I did wonder why none of the people I used to play with were talking back - found it funny that the other 2 people didn't just go, "uh, they're not real".

So, I got bored and joined another server - this one is a rotation of the same map, one called Depot. It's an objective map, where rounds don't end until the obj is completed. I remember matches that used to last for hours - think the longest reported match on the server I played was.. 8 - 10 hours.

Anyway, so I joined that server and it was all bots. All of them were ones that I used to play with, which was an extremely weird feeling. The countdown clock had long since reached zero, yet they kept playing. I liked the idea that they had been playing the same round for years and years and years, never ending.

So... to get the conversation going, what is one game that you would love to go back and play if you could?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

LAN game of C&C Generals with other unskilled mates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

mechwarrior 3 single player

Rose coloured glasses maybe but it was great fun at the time :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLan9dguo2s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I would have loved to play Dark Cloud or Dark Chronicle when they were out on PS2. Always regretted not getting them. I'd love it if they did a re-release or something.

The one game I always wished I played was Shadow of the Colossus. Unfortunately I was an idiot at that point in my life when it was released :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

They released an Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection for PS3.

• Advertisement

I don't have a PS3, sadly. Are there any plans on doing a remastered edition on the PS4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Has anyone ever been to Gamescom in cologne ?.

As going myself this year and I have no idea what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't have a PS3, sadly. Are there any plans on doing a remastered edition on the PS4?

When PS Now is released you could probably play it through that.

I was always the unskilled friend against others. Always thought I was doing well until, "wtf? Where did you get an army?!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

OSI wrote: »
    Tried to play online recently with my Dad and brother as we used to play it a lot when I was younger. For some reason it doesn't run on modern machines well at all. Game would freeze for 10 seconds every 30 seconds. Guaranteed.

generals works fine on my machine w/ win 8.1

• Advertisement

Speaking of C&C - has anyone ever played Renegade? What was it like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

renegade was great fun I thought

never understood the hate for it. it wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination but it was pretty cool being able to walk into a nod building. i tried to replay it there last year, the shooting does not hold up but if you're determined you could get some enjoyment out of it.. even if only for nostalgias sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Speaking of C&C - has anyone ever played Renegade? What was it like?

I thought it was alright but it does lean towards being a bit crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Well, great backlog if you can find one cheap. Worth it. Alternatively, maybe it works on the PS2 PC emulator (with your bought copy ;) )
    No plans for a remaster, needs one. Bad pop-in on the PS3 version, at least in 3D there was...

Is there anything like a boards gaming meetup in Dublin? Looked on meetup.com and there's a board game meetup but nothing much for videogames. Setting up a LAN somewhere might be a laugh too.

Wright wrote: »

Is there anything like a boards gaming meetup in Dublin? Looked on meetup.com and there's a board game meetup but nothing much for videogames. Setting up a LAN somewhere might be a laugh too.

I'd be 100% up for a board game and LAN meet up! As long as it's not C&C!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Thing would be finding a building that allows all-nighters, I think most don't cause of their insurance policies. I know some Chinese internet cafes run all night, ignoring this haha. I assume a few titles could be played.

Or just a few pints down the pub to start.

Advertisement