Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to connect these 2 monitors to this PC

Options
  • 11-07-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I currently have a HP Pavilion Slimline model s5206uk desktop PC connected to a HP2009v monitor (one VGA connection only).

I would like to add this mointor - Dell 1907FPt - 4 usb / 1 DVI / 1 VGA

as simply and cheaply as possible. What should I use some sort of splitter or a video card?

Here is the back of the PC which currently only has one VGA which I'm using for current screen and one spare usb.
    1_zpsztpwoe9f.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Pretty sure you're going to need a new graphics card, I don't think you can split a single VGA output to two separate video signals. Any cheap PCI-E card with two outputs should be fine (maybe a low-profile card to be on the safe side, that case doesn't look very wide).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Swift66 wrote: »
    Hello,

I currently have a HP Pavilion Slimline model s5206uk desktop PC connected to a HP2009v monitor (one VGA connection only).

I would like to add this mointor - Dell 1907FPt - 4 usb / 1 DVI / 1 VGA

as simply and cheaply as possible. What should I use some sort of splitter or a video card?

Here is the back of the PC which currently only has one VGA which I'm using for current screen and one spare usb.
    1_zpsztpwoe9f.jpg
    your going to need a dual output card that fits into a PCI Express x16 slot. check adverts.ie

your going to have to convert one of the dvi slots on those cards to a vga output in order to connect it to the current display or else get one with a dual vga output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I didn't look hard, so no-one moan that they could find better

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEM310984 €42

1ea5fcf2-43ec-492a-a3c9-ab3c736813bd.jpg

There are many such cheap low profile cards. Just ensure your card comes with a low profile bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

the_syco wrote: »
    I didn't look hard, so no-one moan that they could find better

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEM310984 €42

1ea5fcf2-43ec-492a-a3c9-ab3c736813bd.jpg

There are many such cheap low profile cards. Just ensure your card comes with a low profile bracket.

And thats pretty much what I have working my 2 monitors. A cheap graphics card. One to the hdmi and the other to the dvi, using a vga to dvi cable. The cable cost under €20. The graphics card was under €30 iirc. The dvi is recommended, because vga compared to hdmi is very noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most cards come with a DVI to VGA adaptor. A cheap HD5450/6450 or GT610/GT210 type card will suffice perfectly and shouldn't cost more than 25-30 euro new online.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

The card shoukd be fine, but does your monitor have a dvi slot?

If not, you'll need a vga to dvi. This is how mine is set up. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/monitor-cable-dvi-male-to-vga-male-3m-l48bt

Does it have a low profile adapter?

Goz83 - The newer of the two monitors has a dvi port and a vga port , older monitor just vga.

the syco - It says it 'includes low profile support' so it should.

However, because I intend to upgrade to a new fast PC in the new year I'm wondering if I can't make this interim solution cheaper now!

Would one of these simply plugged into my current single PCs vga port work?

http://www.adverts.ie/other-cables/twin-vga-splitter-cable-for-graphics/2403404

Or if not what about one of these in addition to existing vga port (i posted a pic of back of PC at start of thread which may help to answer this)

http://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/ati-radeon-hd-2400-low-profile-graphics-cards-256mb-free-delivery/6988178

Probably some glaring reason why not but would defo like to spend a little as possible and save for a powerhouse PC in New year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's for certain cards not a general DVI connection.

You would have to ask the seller if those HD2400's can use a splitter cable, not clear from the add.

Low profile means it will take a low profile plate, doesn't necessarily mean it has a low profile plate included. It'll say somewhere if a LP plate is included, a lot of cards actually don't come with them.

If buying from Adverts something like this is what you're looking for.

the syco - It says it 'includes low profile support' so it should.
    Unless it says "includes low profile bracket", get the staff to open it and check, as more often than not it means it's possible to do it, but it's probably not there.

The newer monitor should also have hdmi and if it does, you can connect the hdmi to a cheap graphics card which comes with the hdmi and dvi ports. Then on the older monitor, use the cable I linked and you should be sorted with that. Your spend should be around €50 for the lot. That's a cheap upgrade for quality. Using vga on one monitor and dvi or hdmi on the other will be very noticeable.

No hdmi on newer monitor sadly, advice was spot on re: Maplins card not being low-profile even though they states that it 'includes low profile support' - very feckin misleading.

Anyway cheers for all the help, bought from Dabs in the end should be with me next week.

Advertisement