Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you identify this

Options
  • 11-07-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Recently bought a new house and the garden is over run with these they seem to be very invasive. Looks like it's been growing for awhile as I can see dried out dead growth from last year. The plant looks like a large bush but is in fact lots of separate plants.

hxxps://drive.google.com/folder/d/0BykFA8M6kgO4cGEyQVY0aGZTelk/edit

Sorry about the link but I don't have enough posts to be allowed post links just replace hxxps: with https:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

The 2 plants that come to mind immediately are a type of mint or woundwort but I'm afraid it probably isn't either of these as a) if it were mint, you'd have noticed the smell from the crushed foliage and b) woundwort has a flower spike rather than a flower head.

I'm sure other more knowledgeable boardsies will solve the puzzle, and when the mystery plant does come into flower, posting a link to a photo of that will hopefully make the identification easier.

Congratulations on your new home also!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 O Magician OO

ncur wrote: »
    The 2 plants that come to mind immediately are a type of mint or woundwort but I'm afraid it probably isn't either of these as a) if it were mint, you'd have noticed the smell from the crushed foliage and b) woundwort has a flower spike rather than a flower head.

I'm sure other more knowledgeable boardsies will solve the puzzle, and when the mystery plant does come into flower, posting a link to a photo of that will hopefully make the identification easier.

Congratulations on your new home also!

Ye I had thought it looked like a mint also but as you pointed out, no mint smell and while as invasive as mind doesnt spread the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I don't know what it is but here's the link to the images https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BykFA8M6kgO4cGEyQVY0aGZTelk#

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I'd say it's Inula hookeri or at least an Inula variety. A nice plant that's great for wildlife. It's just been left to run a little wild, as it does need space or controlling.

Don't get rid of all of it! I'd say there are plenty of people who'd like a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

As IK67 above its Inula Hookeri, it does spread like a crazy thing but is worth keeping for the display of yellow daisy like flowers which butterflies adore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 O Magician OO

As IK67 above its Inula Hookeri, it does spread like a crazy thing but is worth keeping for the display of yellow daisy like flowers which butterflies adore.

Thanks for the help, that looks like it alright. Ye ill definitely keep it as I want the garden to be all wild flowers but I'll just have to keep it in check because it really spreads.

Advertisement