Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Millionaires

Options
  • 11-07-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering are they many Waterford Millionaires living in the city or outside ??

John O Shea, Daryl Murphy, Gilbert O Sullivan, Waterford Current and ex tds would be close to millionaires.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm just wondering what their mothers maiden name was and the name of their first pet, first room mate, favourite colour...
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I wouldn't say any of those people are millionaires tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

O'Shea is certainly a millionaire.

GOS successfully sued his manager/producer for 7 million quid back in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Just wondering are they many Waterford Millionaires living in the city or outside ??

John O Shea, Daryl Murphy, Gilbert O Sullivan, Waterford Current and ex tds would be close to millionaires.

Daryl Murphy would not even be any bit close to being a millionaire.

John O' Shea's contract up to May this year was a salary of £1.3 million. That'd be going well, well down now one would presume. Obviously he'd get bonuses on top etc. but that gives a general idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I would think there are plenty of millionaires around the city. Some farmers, doctors etc would have lots of cash money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Theres a few lotto winners hiding in the bushes as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Plenty of them around depending on how you are assessing the criteria. If it's someone with net assets of €1million it's not a stretch. Take a home with no debt, decent pension after years of paying in, business value, other assets picked up over the years(second home, stocks etc) and you can see plenty who would be in this position. Typically individual/ couple in 50/60s who is not saddled with housing debt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

We usually feature well on the tax defaulters list along with Cork which is usually a sign there is plenty of loot in the hands of someone. There are plenty of millionaires in the city and area no doubt about it.

The more interesting thing for me is how many millionaires are rich as a consequence of innovation and business acumen rather than inherited wealth. I would expect like most places it is dominated by the usual farmer,landowner,doctor,combination of all three and local gombeen oligarchy....

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Local gombeen men voted in by their peers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I hear deisemum is about to declare..........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Who cares, if your that jealous make your own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I hear deisemum is about to declare..........;)

Well I'm in my 50's, mortgage paid off but I've got teenagers to keep me broke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

callaway92 wrote: »
    Daryl Murphy would not even be any bit close to being a millionaire.

John O' Shea's contract up to May this year was a salary of £1.3 million. That'd be going well, well down now one would presume. Obviously he'd get bonuses on top etc. but that gives a general idea.

Daryl would be close, I'd imagine he is. you need to remind yourself of how much footballers earn. he's been at some big clubs so on top of his wages alone which would be very high, signing on fee's, boot deals and off the field sponsorships.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

shockwave wrote: »
    Theres a few lotto winners hiding in the bushes as well :p

The Doctor who spent 4 yoyo

kupus wrote: »
    Who cares, if your that jealous make your own

Exactly I'd be more interested in how people became millionaires to try and take inspiration from them rather than worrying about who exactly is a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

^^^^
    WGAF

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

deisemum wrote: »
    Well I'm in my 50's, mortgage paid off but I've got teenagers to keep me broke :D

That's not the declaration I meant...........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Daryl would be close, I'd imagine he is. you need to remind yourself of how much footballers earn. he's been at some big clubs so on top of his wages alone which would be very high, signing on fee's, boot deals and off the field sponsorships.

Average salary for players in the Championship is about £300,000 fwiw. I'd be surprised if his take home pay after all bonuses etc is >£400,000 pre-tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

callaway92 wrote: »
    Average salary for players in the Championship is about £300,000 fwiw. I'd be surprised if his take home pay after all bonuses etc is >£400,000 pre-tax.

In fairness he's a striker who get paid more than average players, and he was comfortably the top scorer in the division in 2014/15. He's been at a Premiership club who are well known for paying above the odds for players, and been through a few transfers - to the likes of Celtic for example.

The rumour mills of late claim he's attracted bids of between £3m and £4.25 in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Angela Kearns.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

hardybuck wrote: »
    In fairness he's a striker who get paid more than average players, and he was comfortably the top scorer in the division in 2014/15. He's been at a Premiership club who are well known for paying above the odds for players, and been through a few transfers - to the likes of Celtic for example.

The rumour mills of late claim he's attracted bids of between £3m and £4.25 in the last couple of weeks.

yeah he mentioned he had to take a paycut to join Celtic, who play Champions League football. so that tells you the kind of money he was on at Sunderland. certain he's a millionaire. fair play to him, not long ago he was earning pennies at Waterford Utd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

A few lads from my class are now millionaires, they head insurance companies or work as actuaries or doctors. They all left Waterford after finishing school.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fiachr_a wrote: »
    A few lads from my class are now millionaires, they head insurance companies or work as actuaries or doctors. They all left Waterford after finishing school.

best of luck to them all. i believe a chap i studied with moons ago is a millionaire in australia. not from waterford though so kinna irrelevant to the thread

Advertisement