Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon tagliatelle recipe/problem.

Options
  • 11-07-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭

There's a local Italian restaurant that does a smoked salmon tagliatelle that I like.
    I just can't seem to get the same result at home when I cook it.
    It's seems like a simple cream sauce with nutmeg(I think) and the tagliatelle/salmon.
    My problem is my sauce always appears to turn out thick/just not that nice to be honest. Anybody have any suggestions, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Can you describe in detail the process of how you cook it so we can narrow down the issue, that said it sounds like you're boiling and reducing the cream too much. If you want to infuse the cream with the flavour of the salmon but for it not to thicken then turn the heat way way down, maybe even take it off the heat once to add the cream

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I cook the tagliatelle as I normally would.
    In a separate pan I heat the cream until it's begins to bubble and I add the salmon which would be cooked. I then add it to the pasta. The cream/salmon mixture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Are you seasoning it? It sounds like it's literally just pasta, cooked salmon and cream you're using?

I'd gently fry onions and garlic, add a splash of white wine and reduce down, then I'd add the cream and season it with salt, pepper and fresh herbs like parsley. I'd add the salmon at the end and I'd also sprinkle liberally with Parmesan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'd probably do similar to Faith's, but maybe use spring onion instead of onion, and creme fraiche instead of cream for a bit of tang. Chive to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I do something similar. I sweat some shallots and a little bit of garlic. Add some Vermouth and then the cream. Bring to a simmer and simmer unil reduced to the right consistency. Add some pepper and the smoked salmon then add the pasta. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's no alcohol in the sauce.
    Thanks tough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If I don't use alcohol, I tend to use some stock and reduce it right down. I find cream on its own has very little flavour, and the stock is a nice boost in lieu of wine. Also, parmesan is great for thickening a cream sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I might be wrong because I don't overly like cream sauces and don't often cook them but would you not cook your pasta al dente and add it to the sauce and cook for a minute or so to warm through. Maybe reserve some pasta water if the whole thing needs thinning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

There's a local Italian restaurant that does a smoked salmon tagliatelle that I like.
    I just can't seem to get the same result at home when I cook it.
    It's seems like a simple cream sauce with nutmeg(I think) and the tagliatelle/salmon.
    My problem is my sauce always appears to turn out thick/just not that nice to be honest. Anybody have any suggestions, thanks in advance.

Add a teaspoon of tomato paste and some drops of fresly squeezed lemon juice. Use creme fraiche and it won't curdle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Joolzie wrote: »
    Add a teaspoon of tomato paste and some drops of fresly squeezed lemon juice. Use creme fraiche and it won't curdle.
    Tomato paste? Hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Maybe a ladle of the pasta water may loosen it.

Advertisement