Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Product Care

Options
  • 11-07-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a question in relation to replacement product care.

Firstly I bought a printer in Argos 2.5 years ago which has given up the ghost - I bought the 3 year replacement product care at the time. That's fine can bring it back and get my money or a similar replacement.

However I really liked the printer for its cheap ink and the company no longer makes them. I contacted the company about the problem and was sent a free print head but still didn't work. The best thing they could do as it was out of warranty was to buy another one through a company which sells them to customers on behalf of the company as repairs. Firstly I want to know if under law are consumers in Ireland protected for 6 years and if this option should have been offered free of charge?

Leading from this if the above is not possible I am wondering if the replacement product care even worth it and as consumers are we protected if a printer breaks outside the usual one year manufacturers guarantee as up till now we've always bought the replacement product care which has been great as we've always got the value back of the printer when something went wrong and we were able to buy a new one!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Hi there,

I have a question in relation to replacement product care.

Firstly I bought a printer in Argos 2.5 years ago which has given up the ghost - I bought the 3 year replacement product care at the time. That's fine can bring it back and get my money or a similar replacement.

However I really liked the printer for its cheap ink and the company no longer makes them. I contacted the company about the problem and was sent a free print head but still didn't work. The best thing they could do as it was out of warranty was to buy another one through a company which sells them to customers on behalf of the company as repairs. Firstly I want to know if under law are consumers in Ireland protected for 6 years and if this option should have been offered free of charge?

Leading from this if the above is not possible I am wondering if the replacement product care even worth it and as consumers are we protected if a printer breaks outside the usual one year manufacturers guarantee as up till now we've always bought the replacement product care which has been great as we've always got the value back of the printer when something went wrong and we were able to buy a new one!

Thanks

The printer has lasted a reasonable timeframe given the cost of consumer printers in my opinion, take the refund from Argos and buy a new printer that has compatible cartridges available for it (individual inks):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90776889

definitely not worth getting worked up over a legacy printer given the cost and high availability of cheap ink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That replacement product care is a complete <SNIP> for a few reasons, firstly it does not cover anything that is covered by any other policy, then it does not cover faults which are covered under your statutory rights, then you are "refunded" only in Argos gift card value meaning you must buy a replacement in argos.

I have bought several items in Argos and never once bought this <SNIP> insurance because I look after things.

This insurance is great for people who break stuff or who spill tea or coffee on their new laptop or people who believe everything the retailer tells them and think it is a good deal without doing any research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That replacement product care is a complete <SNIP> for a few reasons, firstly it does not cover anything that is covered by any other policy, then it does not cover faults which are covered under your statutory rights, then you are "refunded" only in Argos gift card value meaning you must buy a replacement in argos.

I have bought several items in Argos and never once bought this <SNIP> insurance because I look after things.

This insurance is great for people who break stuff or who spill tea or coffee on their new laptop or people who believe everything the retailer tells them and think it is a good deal without doing any research.

While many may consider it to be poor value the policy's T&Cs (no matter how unfavourable) are clear and there is nothing improper about the policy. You also have a 45 day cooling-off period (proportional refund) so plenty of time to consider if it meets your needs even if you signed up on impulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

What's the model of the printer and what is the fault? I'm guessing Canon or HP because the printhead is removable.

I can't think of many issues a printhead replacement wouldn't fix if it's a quality issue. So I'd guess a) the cartridges are at fault or b) the replacement printhead is.

Most printers are rubbish nowadays and 2.5 years Is about the average lifespan.

It's very rare that the OEM's produce printer models for more than a couple of years so itll likely be a recurring issue.

All speculation of course!

Advertisement