Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV volume is acting funny!

• 11-07-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

The past few days, the volume on my TV has been acting strange. It flips from not being audible at all, to blasting, to (sometimes) normal, and the volume has nothing to do with the volume chosen. Mute doesn't seem to be working, either.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or how to fix it?

Also, where would one get a TV fixed (in Cork - city, or near to it), and is that even possible?

And if needs be, where would be the cheapest place to buy a TV? Argos has one at E129.99: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...s|14419667.htm, but I'm pretty skint at the 'mo, and have never actually bought a TV before... Thanks so much!

Comments

Moved to Terrestrial TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

maybe a stuck button.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

obezyana wrote: »
    maybe a stuck button.
    It doesn't seem to be!

This may sound silly, but could the cat* be sitting on the remote. This would cause random things to happen.

*or someone/thing else

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

Ha ha, we don't have a cat, and both remotes are sitting quite peacefully on the coffee table! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This is weird, but true.......

I once returned from a night out to find the baby sitter had turned off the TV saying it was haunted. The volume went high and low for no reason and it occasionally turned on and off and changed channels by itself.:eek:

I was curious and did some tests over a few days, eventually noting that the hauntings only occurred when the room light was on. It turned out to be thick dust behind the plastic window of the TV IR receiver.The dust must have been just thick enough to act as a filter for some spurious IR to get through from the rooms incandescent light bulb - causing control signal confusion. Incredible as it seems -removing the clear plastic cover and cleaning the actual surface of the sensor resulted in correct operation again. That was about twenty years ago and the TV is still working as a spare DVD monitor today.

I would suggest taking the batteries out of the remote and running the TV to see if any changes occur. If so, you would then be able to deduct that it is a problem with the TV and not with the remote. Do you see the on screen volume graphic displayed when the volume changes? (could indicate an IR signal was received)

If it is a problem with the TV, bring it for a professional service.

I used to have one of the UPC Mediaboxes, a standard STB without a DVR. When I got my Samsung LCD TV, it played havoc with the box, causing it to change channels randomly, power off by itself, or not respond to the remote. It turned out that spurious IR from the TV's backlight was interfering with the STB. I had to put insulating tape on the IR sensor of the STB to work around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Maybe your neighbour has same make of tv and their remote is operating your tv ?

Advertisement