Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One on an old TV

Options
  • 11-07-2015 10:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

A cousin of mine recently got an Xbox One, and he has an old crappy TV in his bedroom, (he's 14). Anyway he was asking me about it and seemed to have all his research done that he needed a HDMI to VGA Cable and that it would work but that he'd have no sound which he was actually ok with!

Anyway listening to the kid I ordered him this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003JZR72C

I received it today and decided to test it out myself on the PC and my monitor and I have just discovered that is of absolutely no use as the HDMI signal is Digital and the VGA is Analogue, and only works with a converter. Some lemming in Harvey Norman told him that he could order him a similar type of "Monster Brand" cable for €75.00 I immediately smelled the old HDMI expensive cable scam so I told him I'd get it off Amazon and it cost €11 with Parcel Motel. The cable needs a converter to work I have just discovered, possibly this was what Harvey Norman was selling but either way the young lad didn't understand and I'm not sure either exactly what Harvey Normans were trying to sell .

Ideally the solution is a new HDTV Flatscreen but the young lad cut grass since April to gather the money for the Xbox and was only using it in the Living Room TV (which at least has HDMI input).

Any ideas on how to put the Xbox working on his 26 inch old cheapo TV? Ideally something that would give the lad sound also? I know buy a new TV is the best advice but he's only 14.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Stinicker wrote: »
    A cousin of mine recently got an Xbox One, and he has an old crappy TV in his bedroom, (he's 14). Anyway he was asking me about it and seemed to have all his research done that he needed a HDMI to VGA Cable and that it would work but that he'd have no sound which he was actually ok with!

Anyway listening to the kid I ordered him this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003JZR72C

I received it today and decided to test it out myself on the PC and my monitor and I have just discovered that is of absolutely no use as the HDMI signal is Digital and the VGA is Analogue, and only works with a converter. Some lemming in Harvey Norman told him that he could order him a similar type of "Monster Brand" cable for €75.00 I immediately smelled the old HDMI expensive cable scam so I told him I'd get it off Amazon and it cost €11 with Parcel Motel. The cable needs a converter to work I have just discovered, possibly this was what Harvey Norman was selling but either way the young lad didn't understand and I'm not sure either exactly what Harvey Normans were trying to sell .

Ideally the solution is a new HDTV Flatscreen but the young lad cut grass since April to gather the money for the Xbox and was only using it in the Living Room TV (which at least has HDMI input).

Any ideas on how to put the Xbox working on his 26 inch old cheapo TV? Ideally something that would give the lad sound also? I know buy a new TV is the best advice but he's only 14.

Well, that's old school.

Are you 100% sure that the cable doesn't work? I only ask because it should, without any need for a converter. He might not be able to watch netflix and the like due to HDCP, but it should still work for games, as far as I know.

For the audio part, the Xbox One has an optical out, so you could get something like this. It converts the optical into the two sterio plugs, the red and white ones.

EDIT: Having looked into it more, there are cables out there that are straight HDMI to VGA cable, and then HDMI to VGA with a converter built in, but they still only around a tenner. Example here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I cant understand the hostility towards the staff member. the kid asked for a product. the retailer told him what they could get. hardly a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I cant understand the hostility towards the staff member. the kid asked for a product. the retailer told him what they could get. hardly a scam
    The kid asked for a product, the retailer tried to sell him an overpriced product that is for something completely different (graphics card with HDMI output to a VGA monitor that can take digital signal).

I'm getting http://www.adverts.ie/other-cables/hdmi-male-to-vga-female-plus-audio-converter-adapter/7887756 to link a laptop up to a projector that has a VGA connection. This is what you need.

So if you go into tesco and ask for coffee, are you expecting them to tell you to go to aldi for their cheaper alternative? If they don't is it a scam? The retailer obviously sells monster cables, Monster are an expensive brand. You just need a 3.5mm for sound. Monster are dearer everywhere. So no, your wrong, its not a scam. Its business. You pitch your product, if the customer wants it, they buy it. Merc dealers don't tell people to go to the Fiat dealer down the road because theyre cheaper. Hope the converter box works out for ya. Been honest it is a bit of a waste connecting an Xbox one with an analogue picture. Kinda defeats the purpose of the Console

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The retailer obviously sells monster cables, Monster are an expensive brand.
    The scam is that the expensive HDMI to VGA cable will not work, as the TV takes analogue, and the HDMI gives digital. The employee should know what the cable can be used for, and what it can't.

OP, got the adapter that I linked to there, and connected it to the VGA monitor with no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Kinda defeats the purpose of the Console

To play games on it?

what size screeen is on the Xbox one? I wasnt aware it had 1. Its like buying really expensive whiskey and filling the glass up with coke. You are not gonna see any benefit from xbox to xbox 360 to xbox one if the tv is using vga

As for the scam, the guy said he could order in a cable. He didnt say what cable? Monster don't make a HDMI to VGA cable according to their website

You can still play the games though so it doesn't defeat the purpose of owning the console, the primary purpose being to play games.

Makaveli wrote: »
    You can still play the games though so it doesn't defeat the purpose of owning the console, the primary purpose being to play games.

:rolleyes:

Ah ya got me chief, with the old rolleyes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

:rolleyes:

The kid should have saved up for a 4k gaming PC by your logic

OP easiest solution is to get a small TV. Second hand ones on adverts are €50-75

Most of the converters I'm seeing on eBay are €30-40 if not more so it's probably the easiest solution in the long run

*Edit* on re-read, Syco seems to have found a good solution

nope not at all. a tv from the last 10 years would be a start though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

Are the games every going to be playable on an SD TV? (By that I mean in terms of actual gameplay, rather than literally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If he can afford an Xbox One surely he can afford €100 for a 2nd smallish hand HD TV?

Or else get a 2nd hand cheap 1080p monitor for €60-70 that has hdmi and speakers.

Surely playing on an SD tv would be unplayable - wouldn't text and the like be very difficult/impossible to read?

Advertisement