Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling From Little Island To Cork City Centre

Options
  • 11-07-2015 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi.

I have recently moved to live in Little Island in Cork. This probably sounds like a stupid question but I was wondering if anybody knows a safe route to cycle from Little Island into Cork City centre (and also to Mahon).

It seems Cork county council forgot about cyclists when they were building the roads around here. It's not possible to cycle through the Jack Lynch tunnel so not possible to get to Mahon point on a bike from Little Island (afaik).

There are no cycle lanes and the Dunkettle is lethal during rush hour. If I go the flyover route there's a lethal merge with traffic coming to Cork from the Dunkettle.

Then in the rain the Lower Glanmire road is flooded.

Anybody know a safe route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I do it now and again if i've to go to a hospital appointment after work and am feeling too miserly to pay to park the car. I head along the backroad of little island, past the leisure centre, punch industries and what used to be pfizer, join onto the dunkettle at the slip road down onto it from the n25 at the lights, straight across the roundabout, this bit is the worst, and it helps to do it at a busy time, think I use lane 2, try to keep to the middle of the lane on that bit, so you don't get clipped by someone going into the tunnel from that lane, and straight up the slip road and into the city that way,

I've also gone across the bridge over the n25 towards the train station, turned left at the lights, and gone down towards glanmire, It is more long winded, but a safer bet when there is less traffic.

If you want to get to mahon by bike, id suggest getting a boat, it is really long winded to get from little island to mahon by bike, and not something i've actually done

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

JBokeh wrote: »
    join onto the dunkettle at the slip road down onto it from the n25 at the lights, straight across the roundabout, this bit is the worst, and it helps to do it at a busy time, think I use lane 2, try to keep to the middle of the lane on that bit, so you don't get clipped by someone going into the tunnel from that lane, and straight up the slip road and into the city that way

This is the bit that I find very dangerous. If I go to the top of the line of traffic while the lights are red (for my own safety so I won't be in the middle lane when traffic starts moving fast) then it seems drivers going into the tunnel from lane two get really annoyed because they want to speed away from the lights and cut into the tunnel from lane two (which they are entitled to do). If I'm in lane two then I am slower than them to move across the roundabout.

Advertisement