Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any non-EEA students who enrolled in course removed from ILEP list??

Options
  • 12-07-2015 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there,

I am an American prospective student who enrolled at a private Irish design institute in the past few months to attend starting in Sept. 2015... before discovering there was a major overhaul of the student immigration sector that resulted in the removal of many private institutes/language schools from the list of approved courses for international students called the ILEP, including mine. I'd be a full time student getting a higher national certificate (HNC) in graphic design. Anyway, when I discovered this I of course panicked, as I was already planning my life around moving over to Ireland for this year-long course in the Fall. I have since been in touch with all the right people, and sent on an emailed appeal w/documentation about my situation to the Justice dept who will assess each situation on its individual merits and either grant or deny permission to stay. A nightmare not knowing where i will be in two months...

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue?? I know there's been a ton of controversy over the closing down of English language/business schools in Dublin, so people may be in my same situation in light of all these courses removed from the ILEP. My school didnt even understand the implications of the new policies!! Has anyone out there, specifically non-EEA prospective students, appealed to the Justice Dept this year to gain permission to stay based on having enrolled in a course that was REMOVED from the list? (NOT when they had already started the program, but enrolled for the next semester - Sept 2015) Anyone know how long it may take for me to hear back from the immigration/justice dept? I've heard it "could take a long time" but i have no idea what that means, and I need to be able to tell my job if I'm leaving or not, and know where I'll be, etc..... it's just so stressful right now. I have been in contact with Irish Council for International Students (ICOS) and my school about this issue, as well, so I know where to look for "expert advice".... I am just seeing if anyone else is having issues with this, too, and what their experience has been so far!

Thanks so much in advance if anyone has any feedback about this kind of situation! At this point, all I can do is wait to hear back, but I'm still in limbo...Thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have no personal knowledge of the institution you refer to.

Realise:
    * Many of these schools are very small - some using a single rented classroom.
    * Many were taking lower than sustainable fees and not providing proper tuition, thereby allowing students to work (illegally, such students were only allowed work 20 hours per week during term)
    * Recognition of qualifications may be an issue - is the course covered by QQI http://www.qqi.ie/ or a recognised university?
    * If you have paid by credit card, there may be a refund option via the issuing company.
    * The Department of Justice works incredibly slowly, especially with appeals of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 US_in_Ireland

Hi Victor, thank you for the response; yes, I have researched the situation extensively and am aware of the conditions of mostly English and business schools that shut down. But my school is a well-established Design institute and offers full time classes/diplomas/certificates, etc. The school itself is accredited by QQI/the european accreditation body BTEC... the course apparently is NOT, though. Which is why I have to appeal based on my specific situation.... I truly have no idea what they will say.

I am sure that a lot of other non-EEA students are scrambling to figure out what the immigration changes mean for them as well, so I'm hoping they can share their experience... Meanwhile, is it worth calling and emailing the Justice Dept to follow up on my appeal? Will I get through to anyone? Its scary because I am scheduled leave Sept 3 and everyone says it takes "a long time" for them to respond... Thanks again!

Advertisement