Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice for gaming pc + rift new build

Options
  • 12-07-2015 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €800 ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Want a good all round pc will be used for plex server regularly so want to keep cooling as quiet as possible but also want to be able to play the newest pc games at high settings. Most importantly this is a build to handle oculus rift.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? planing to use 120gb ssd for os and some tb drives for general storage and i have and a dvd burner from current pc.

5. Do you need a monitor? Going to use an old dell 21" for a little while but going to get 26" curved samsung monitor later on (when i can afford it)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? depends on impact it will make to price

8. How can you pay? whatever needed

9. When are you purchasing? over next few months

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? not first build just been a long time so not sure where to start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gonna be tight enough there

i5 4460 €175
    H97 board €80
    Nanoxia DS3 €70
    500w PSU €60
    1tb HDD €50
    8gb RAM €50
    R9 290 or GTX 970 €300 odd
    Total is a little over €800

Should be enough for Oculus, hopefully someone with direct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yep, spec should do it. The 970 was the recommended nVidia spec anyway. I think the CPU is just about the correct spec, maybe a tiny bit under but the oculus and it's games will be GPU limited anyway. If you are buying now, this is the best you will get for your money. Might be worth looking at this in January though.
    If you are only running this as a server until then, maybe get a better CPU now and get a GPU then? Lots of options if Oculus is the focus. Otherwise, above is a solid build.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I had a quick glance at the Oculus spec, bare minimum I could come up with.

Would a Xeon and 390X/Fury/980 be a much better port of call Xeno? You seem to have a better notion than I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Won't really know what works best until we see release tbh. The GTX970/R9 290 should be plenty powerful since they are using them as references rather than minimum specs (from what i've managed to glean anyway). Devs will be developing with those as targets so ideally they will play any oculus game at 60fps for the first wave of games at least. Going higher never hurts anyone though so I would recommend maybe building something with the aim to upgrade in Q1 next year. Maybe a 750TI second hand to get games limping along without breaking the bank too much.
    The Intel i5-4590 is the recommended CPU btw, slightly more powerful than the 4460 but I don't think it would matter too much. Still probably worth upgrading to that now anyway.

The 750TI should be about 100/90€ second hand with a bit of haggling on adverts. Means this guy could go for his nice monitor sooner. It will still play games and the saving can begin in earnest for a GPU to push the Oculus Rift to it's limits.

Advertisement