Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York

Options
  • 12-07-2015 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Heading to New York for New Years Eve, from the 27th of December til the 3rd of Jan. Flying in and out of JKF and staying in a hostel on upper east side. Any one any recommendations of things not to miss out on or places I must see, apart from the obvious, I want to try and fit as much in as possible...any places off the beaten track I should visit, or cool restaurants/diners that I need to check out?
    Has anyone been there for NYE? Im assuming it will be crazy on Times Square.

Id be grateful for any helpful hints of tips so I dont miss out on cool stuff. Its my first time in New York and Im so excited :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Times Square will be packed. Would need to be there v early and it will be cold. We opted for the fireworks in Central Park instead and that was lovely. Bottle of bubbly maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Literally it starts filling up before midday and my friend said there aren't any loos either? F**k that :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Was there about 4 years ago, spent $500 for a room on 47th Street, literally just around the corner. The downside was that we discovered that we would have to start queueing in Time Square at 11am, after that they started closing off the access streets as the crowds increase. It was so cold that there was no way we were going to stand there for 13 hours.

The night certainly didn't turn out as we planned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

NY Eve Times Square....why?

It's a little piece of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

I won't be queueing, no way! Just an opportunity came up to go, something different...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

We were v happy to wander around for the day, have a bite to eat when we wanted and then the fireworks at midnight. Lovely atmosphere. We could see Times Square...distantly! Also, v impressed with the subway to get home. Very efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

my best new years in New York was a dive bar in brooklyn where the clock was 5 minutes slow.

http://www.nycgo.com/articles/new-years-eve-in-times-square-dont-drop-the-ball gives you tips which are basically reasons not to do it..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

my advice would be don't stay in a hostel, but it's too late for that I guess. :eek:

Why don't stay in a hostel?

I'm not interested in time square for nye! I want to do other stuff....less cliché, like the dive bar, something different, plus I'm there for 6 nights, it's not all about the one night, any other suggestions or should I leave it until another time of year?

• Advertisement

kate07 wrote: »
    Why don't stay in a hostel?

Hostels in the states are not like the ones in Europe, they see for the most part pretty nasty. Read the tripadvisor pages very carefully. One place bribes people that stay with them a free night in return for. Good review that they then update after they leave with the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Don't stay in a hostel in New York (I live here). Get either an apartment on airbnb or an apartment share on the same site. It won't cost you any more than a hostel and provided you pick one with a lot of positive reviews from previous renters will be far nicer and safer.

Looking at stuff for new years eve, and came across a circle line boat cruise for 150 usd, anyone any experience of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clodagh_b

I'm hoping to travel to NY this New Years too. Was going to go the 26th until the 2nd.. If you don't mind me asking, How much did you pay for flights? They seem to be on the increase price wise.. I'm wondering should I just go ahead & book!

clodagh_b wrote: »
    I'm hoping to travel to NY this New Years too. Was going to go the 26th until the 2nd.. If you don't mind me asking, How much did you pay for flights? They seem to be on the increase price wise.. I'm wondering should I just go ahead & book!

26th-> 2nd are core travel dates - pick a price you're happy paying and pay it as prices are not going to go down too much.

I'm flying from Bangkok so I paid that in ozzie dollars but I'm flying bk to dublin after and I've a price alert on it the last few weeks, its not changed so think I'll go ahead and book it with aerlingus!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Spent NYE in New York back in 2007. I stayed off Times Square (up around 42nd). Locals were saying that some folk who stand and wait around wear adult diapers.

We went for dinner around 6pm in a place called Chiellini's, nice Italian, nothing fancy.
    As soon as the ball falls the police drop the barriers on the side streets and you can head back into Times Square. It's worth it for all the ticker tape and confetti I have to say.

Advertisement