Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way - Shoes - boots or both

Options
  • 12-07-2015 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Wicklow Way - Shoes - boots or both? :confused:

Considering weight and the trail.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

At this time of the year, good walking shoes would be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Certain sections of it can be mucky regardless of time of year. Section after Glenmalure (if traveling south) can be mucky year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Are you camping enroute? If so and carrying a bit of a load, light boots might be best. Good bit of hard surface along this trail, so feet need a bit of cushioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

We are doing camping and B&Bs but because we are camping we are carying all our stuff. About 15-17 kilo depending on water supplies.

Boots on hard surface is not really comfortable over long perdiods to be honest.

I am really torn between this choice as I dont want to add the extra weight, but I also dont want to risk only having shoes for the mucky parts, and then I dont want to walk the hard surfaces with boots.

Really not sure what to do, I was thinking of only doing it on my shoes. I have good Salomon shoes with good 3rd party soles. But they wont be good for the mucky parts.

Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Where do you plan to camp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

The vast majority of the WW is either fireroad or tarmac. Boots would be overkill IMHO.

unkel wrote: »
    Where do you plan to camp?

Lough Dan
    Ballyteige
    Raheenakit

Enduro wrote: »
    The vast majority of the WW is either fireroad or tarmac. Boots would be overkill IMHO.

I was close to deciding on shoes.

But...the weather is not looking good, and when it rains, boots might take the advantage.

The shoes are great, Salomons, firm, watertight, but they are shoes. And I am not sure if the gaiters work as good when wearing shoes.

Still torn here on what to do.

Advertisement