Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedge house trim

Options
  • 12-07-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all

So decided to put a hedge border around the house instead of a footpath. Only thing is front of the house is north facing. Thinking of putting white carpet roses or white hydrangea with boxwood hedge in front. It'd be shaded all day with maybe an hour or two of sunlight in the am. As I'm not a gardener as such would this be do-able? Second our windows are pretty low, would they grow too high and look silly?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not very clear what you are aiming for - you can't walk on a hedge :) However as far as putting a border on a north side, I doubt you will get much satisfaction from either of your suggestions. They will probably survive but not very happily.

Also if you are planting very close to the house (on any side) they will be in a 'rain shadow' - not get a lot of water, which will also create problems. Generally the quality of soil close to a wall is not great either as a result of foundations not far down, rubble, etc.

A fern bed might be the best solution on the north side, or some attractive paving - but in most cases the footpath round the house (on a modern house anyway) is useful for all the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 psychhead

Aim is not to have a patharound house as we will have a separate path around. We have no lawn at the fron of our house as its all gravel so thought this would be a nice way to incorporate sone greenery.
    Im happy to water regularly if that will help the rain issue. LOVE the look of this effect, sorry link wont seem to copy but if u look up hedge trim on houzz you'll see the look im after.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I checked out that website but could not really see an image that would translate to the situation you describe. I doubt that those effects were achieved in a north facing site at the latitude of Ireland.

Your main problem is going to be sun and as I said, the plants you suggest are not really suited to full shade, you will find it very difficult to get the effect in your situation. You could try ferns, berginias, vincas and other shade loving plants, I cannot think of any substitute white flowers, I suspect the effect will be cottage garden rather than sophisticated.

Advertisement